Worst Looking GT40

Before you load your guns and start to aim............

"The worst GT40"....................would have to be ANY replica that is based on a Fiero platform, period. In my opinion, It is butt ugly, front ugly, and both sides ugly.

As far as ANY ORIGINAL GT40, these cars are ALL beautiful. Does not matter what camera angle, they just have that look that makes you warm and fuzzy inside. Just super great looking cars, period.

At least give me a 100 yards before you proceed.

Wasn't there a one-off convertible version early on in the program? Seems like I remember one that wasn't very good looking, but I could be thinking of the Chaparral...

There were several small block roadsters done (raced at Targa Florio, for example, where the poorer aerodynamics were thought to be acceptable in exchange for cooler driver comfort) as well as one MKII (rebody of the X-1 aluminum chassis) that won Sebring.

Jim

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
GT111 driven by Sir John Whitmore

Attachments

• GT111_at_Targa_Florio.jpg
    GT111_at_Targa_Florio.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 388
Hey! Lay off the Breadvan!

Picture the scene if you will:

Some time ago, 'er indoors was moaning about how mid engined two seater sports cars were so impractical, she wouldn't be able to get more than a loaf of bread in one.

Cut to where I'm diving for the bookcase, out come the Ferrari references, along with a BMW M70 illustration with the comment "well here's something designed especially for the purpose, look - it's even called the 'bread van', I'd even let you drive it down to the shops".

Now cut to Freewheel getting no sex for a looooong time.

(I still like the breadvan - most of my cars have been hatchbacks so I suppose it figures - I'd even go as far as finding a Porsche auto gearbox for her if she ever changes her mind)

On the practical side, I've always felt that a chassis designed for a Cobra body would suit, so long as it fits the V12, and now that the GT90 project has shown me how to build a glass body I can look at that - and promptly assign the job to a professional....

As for the worst looking GT40, if push comes to shove I'd have to go for the Mk III, which is probably why Fran doesn't do one, but as Fran pointed out.......

With the real GT40's, the roadster versions don't capture the look we all like, IMHO. The different doors, windows, no roofline, all upset it.
With replicas, there are many that look, to me, ugly as built. Maybe sitting too high, or too plush for a racing sports car, etc.

Dalton

Back