WTF?

Pete,

Fair enough,

I agree, unfortunally guns will most likely not be banned in my lifetime. Assault weapons(designed to kill lots, quickly) hopefully will, just my opinion.

Yes, there may have been a time when a fight could end with a knock down. Today, you would most likely have a felony arrest, possably gun fire or both.

Yes, today the Japanese people do display an unusual anount of self control, but then they banned and carefully collected virtually all guns in 1945. It seems to be working for them.

I believe that the US did the banning and collecting of guns.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
So TomP,

What you are saying is that the US Government has experience in the banning and collection of guns that was very, very successful, thats good to know.

I certainaly worked very well in 1945.........................

So TomP,

What you are saying is that the US Government has experience in the banning and collection of guns that was very, very successful, thats good to know.

I certainaly worked very well in 1945.........................
That was the disarming of a country we had been at war with. As far as I know, the US is not at war with US citizens.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
But Tom,

You have to admit that is was a very successful project done by our Government, they have virtually no gun violence or gun murder in Japan. Thats a GOOD thing, something we would all love to have here, right?

But Tom,

You have to admit that is was a very successful project done by our Government, they have virtually no gun violence or gun murder in Japan. Thats a GOOD thing, something we would all love to have here, right?
Disarming the enemy is normal. I'm afraid that talking to you is useless, it's not the deaths that bother you, it's control and firearms that you want. Next it will be speech and retirement accounts. Take care.

Steve

Supporter
That was the disarming of a country we had been at war with. As far as I know, the US is not at war with US citizens.

Ahh, but sometimes I wonder about your last sentence, especially in the last 4 years.

Of course, the societal differences between Japan and the US have absolutely nothing to do with the differences in gun violence:thumbsup:

I'm not a gun owner, but I see progressively more infringement of the federal govt into our daily lives whether through increased taxes, increased entitlement programs, or increased legislation/regulation. I would be hesitant to ever support much change in gun control laws, especially since the overall gun-related violence in the US has dropped precipitously in the last 20-30 years. The increase in mass-killings flies in the face of that and isn't really a gun issue. Pretty sure Tim McVeigh didn't use a gun.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
It's guns, and it's mostly hand guns!

Gee Doc I don't see bombs anywhere on this list, maybe they are under "other methods" perhaps we should worry about things that matter?

Last edited:

Steve

Supporter
The population of the US is nearly double that of the 70's, making the incidence per capita of handgun homicide less than half. Same is true with "other guns". Non homicide gun violence is also less than half.

Mass killings are way up though.

Very misleading there Jim.

By the way, it's Steve, not "Doc" if you please

Mr. Craik,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news to you (actually, I enjoy showing your errors)... First you used the "General Social Survey" as a source and the latest is Wikipedia, which we all know is updated by users and may not be accurate.

For those unfamiliar with "General Social Survey", it is a liberal organization that asks slanted surveys about OPINIONS from biased samples. In other words, it is an inaccurate, unreliable opinion, not a fact based survey.

You would get the same accuracy if you asked a bunch of 5 year olds if cotton candy was nutritious food.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Tell us again about your consevative surveys, you remember, the ones that said Romney would win in a landslide and that republicans would take the senate.

Fox called them: "Lies you tell as a republican to make yourself feel better"

As I recall, the liberal surveys were right on the money!

I never quoted any surveys, let alone faulty ones like you did.

I like how you deflected when called out for using faulty sources.

;-)

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Danimal,

Nice try, trying to deflect the facts with more miss information! The data for the chart I posted came from:

Summary
U.S. homicides by weapons, 1976-2004
Data source: Bureau of Justice Statistics

I suggest you click on the "Bureau of Justice Statistics" bar and see where the data really came from. There is much more information!

Last edited:
No deflection here, Bucky. When I clicked on the above chart, it took me directly to a wiki page.

And are you denying that in the other thread that you used the "general social survey"?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Danimal,

Yes, as usual, you are wrong!

The chart I posted came from Bureau of Justice Statistics, no where else.

Instead of just making stuff up, why dont you check first?

If you think the data is wrong, why dont you prove that the data is not correct, look into it, check, show us real numbers!

Sorry, Jim...using my phone, when I click on that chart it does take me to a wiki page. It does not take me to anywhere else, so I am not making anything up at all.

If the source for that chart on wiki came from the bureau of justice statistics, great...means you are at least trying to use a more credible source than the General Social Survey (or am I on too many cold meds and that wasn't you).

While you are on any of the credible sites, (FBI, DOJ, BoJS)... Why don't you see if there is any information as to who is committing those crimes, such as felons on parole, or people restricted by law from being able to be in possession of a firearm. Also, please find how many background checks prevented felons from buying firearms from dealers and how many of those felons were prosecuted for attempting to buy a firearm.

Steve

Supporter
Danimal,

Of course, Jim doesn't reply my post pointing out his rather inaccurate representation of the data. Convenient and expected.

Back