WANTED: GT40 MkII Engine & Trans Oil Coolers

Derek

1046[Al]
Supporter
Looking to buy MkII engine and trans oil coolers (Continental style) reproductions are fine. I need them to have the inlet and outlet bases already modified as well. (Like the ones pictured.)

Only interested in quality, ready to run parts. No repaired damage.

Let me know what you got.

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 9.58.31 AM.png

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
The bases were bespoke castings (not modified) and the coolers were ribbed on the side, not smooth as pictured. The standoffs pictured are also not correct.

Derek

1046[Al]
Supporter
The bases were bespoke castings (not modified) and the coolers were ribbed on the side, not smooth as pictured. The standoffs pictured are also not correct.
Like the ad says, reproductions are fine. If I can find originals in good shape, sure. But, I'm assuming reproductions will be easier to come by...

Rune

Supporter
I think they where used on Continental aircraft engines. So a search in aircraft salvage ground can be a start.

Derek

1046[Al]
Supporter
So I’ve managed to find readily available oil cooler reproductions of the originals. P/N 8000683

So that part is solved but the hard part now will be finding the bases with the inlet and outlet fittings at the bottom. The original bases I guess were modified to achieve this…? P/N 537312

Attachments

• image003.jpeg
    image003.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 78
  • image001.jpeg
    image001.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 78

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I have 4 or 5 of these if you need a pattern drawn up. Cessna, Pipers… continental engines used various oilcoolers like these. Search for aero oilcoolers cessna, or harrison continental.

Derek

1046[Al]
Supporter
So I’m looking to get some oil cooler bases made from billet that have the inlet and outlet provisions side by side, like this picture shows. Can someone tell me what size these fittings/threads are?

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 9.58.31 AM.png

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Billet based will have to be bespoke milled and tapped /drilled. Or just weld #10 bungs on original bases and weld up the other holes. Plentiful of these bases on ebay.

Clean ally well as its rubbish to tig weld.

Billet based will have to be bespoke milled and tapped /drilled. Or just weld #10 bungs on original bases and weld up the other holes. Plentiful of these bases on ebay.

Clean ally well as its rubbish to tig weld.
Most of the aircraft bases also have a temperature regulated bypass on the base, that can be adjusted or removed as well.

Neil

Supporter
Most of the aircraft bases also have a temperature regulated bypass on the base, that can be adjusted or removed as well.
Removing the temperature regulator would be a mistake. It bypasses the cooler when the oil is below the set temperature, allowing it to come up to operating temperature quicker.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I have my temperature valve in my remote filter adapter on the block, and welded on AN#10 bungs to the plate. So its not a problem controling oil temp.

Leonard L

Supporter
Looking to buy MkII engine and trans oil coolers (Continental style) reproductions are fine. I need them to have the inlet and outlet bases already modified as well. (Like the ones pictured.)

Only interested in quality, ready to run parts. No repaired damage.

Let me know what you got.

View attachment 136504

Attachments

• 20240406_182209.jpg
    20240406_182209.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240406_173637.jpg
    20240406_173637.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 733845635.jpg
    733845635.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20240407_143525.jpg
    20240407_143525.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 48
One of my neighbors ran the program at Harrison Radiator here in Lockport that manufactured those. Harrison did a lot of aviation coolers; he ran the engineering program that did brake coolers for the Boeing 747 program.

Leonard L

Supporter
Leonard, May I ask where you got your base at? I have the same cooler without a base . Looks custom with you chassis number on it. Nice!!
Sure, I had my Einstein fabricator nephews build a few things for me while they prepare #6 to ship to the Reunion in July. Examples - steering wheel holder and many other mods and improvements I have attached here. I had them do the oil cooler bases out of one piece aluminum block stock as the ones the cars come with can hairline crack and seep at the welded on A/N fittings shown in the photo : ( Also, I had them do openings on the blocks at 12A/N so that they would be universal to individual needs as its better to neck/adapt down than up when it comes to flow. I have all 10A/N oil fittings and just use a 12-10A/N Reducer. Feel free to contact Josh directly and can be reached at [email protected]. You will also see that they developed mounting stands that are fastened separately form cooler to mounting area as not to disrupt the torque settings at the cooler when installing or removing the complete unit off the car. for those who have done this they will realize the vale in that design feature,
The best source to buy the oil coolers are in buying directly from Aero Classics. Just call or email Wayne there at 909-596-1630 [email protected] and just mention GT40 and he will be all over it.

Attachments

• 1 Peice Billet Oil Cooler Adapter (1).jpg
    1 Peice Billet Oil Cooler Adapter (1).jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Oil Cooler Nut Stands.png
    Oil Cooler Nut Stands.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Oil Cooler Adapter Plate.JPG
    Oil Cooler Adapter Plate.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Steering Wheel Holder Mounting Area.jpg
    Steering Wheel Holder Mounting Area.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Steering Whell Holder 1.jpg
    Steering Whell Holder 1.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Back up Camara Licence Plate and FIA Rain-Fog Brake Light .jpg
    Back up Camara Licence Plate and FIA Rain-Fog Brake Light .jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Orange Brake Ducts and Aluminum Washer Bottle.jpg
    Orange Brake Ducts and Aluminum Washer Bottle.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 21

Leonard L

Supporter
Here is the hairline cracks photo that may occur with welded on A/N bungs to the oil adapter plate which is why having they made as a mono-block part design is best. Also I didn't like having vision disrupted by the windshield wiper and designed a wiper delete and nut that also holds the washer hose from sneaking back down under the front end section. The aluminum washer reservoir has a site glass and uses the original mounting holes with fitted aluminum mount that allows rapid removal of the whole system. The steering wheel holder is shown in black anodized and mounts to the factory bolts that hold the rear cockpit glass to the bulkhead.

Attachments

• Wiper Delete.jpg
    Wiper Delete.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240424_160047.jpg
    20240424_160047.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Reservoir Mount.jpg
    Reservoir Mount.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Aluminun Washer Resevoir.jpg
    Aluminun Washer Resevoir.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Black Anodized Steering Wheel Holder.jpg
    Black Anodized Steering Wheel Holder.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Oil Adapter Plate Crack at AN Bung Welds.jpg
    Oil Adapter Plate Crack at AN Bung Welds.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 20
  • New Aluminun Washer tank.jpg
    New Aluminun Washer tank.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 20

Leonard L

Supporter
Also consider a matching cooler over the battery as a trans cooler even if you just block of the A/N's. It fills the void there nicely and looks very period also. : )

Back