History of the Lucky Horseshoes

My daughter loves the look of the GT40's with the lucky horseshoes. When she asked why they are on the car, I couldn't answer her. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks
Bill D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The Lucky Horseshoes you speak of were a marketing symbol used by Gulf Oil in the sixies. If I remember correctly, the slogan that accompanied the horseshoes was "get that kick" or "put a kick in your tank" - something to that effect. We had a Gulf dealer just around the corner from where I grew up, and they used to give away the horseshoe stickers away for free. In fact, I had one of the horseshoe stickers on the banana seat of my Schwinn Sting Ray! I also remember seeing many Mustangs sporting the stickers on their rear bumpers.

Hope this helps!

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Hey Bill -

They are from a Gulf advertising campaign 'No-Nox' where you can get an extra kick from Gulf gas. I recall my cousin said that they put a pair on one of the Gulf 40's and it won the race and it became tradition on them since. Not sure if that's true but that is what I recall a while ago when asking about it. The other interesting thing is that I remember some of the Gulf ads and it always seemed to be a Mule not a Horse that was doing the kicking, but that could be from funny cartooning.

Sandy

Thanks guys. She's 12 and loves GT40's. She rode in one when she was 9 and loved it.

I will relay the information to her.

Thanks
Bill D

Back