Gooding adds 104 to the starting lineup at Pebble 2012

Ford GT40 SN104 to be auctioned at Monterey by Gooding
While I am happy to see this car become available (I will just be looking, thank you) because that means someone will be vintage racing it eventually, I wonder why no owner of a chassis laid down in '64 has ever wanted to go back to the duckbill platypus shaped nose they were built with in '64? I suppose it's more historic because it ws the first achievement for the GT40 in '65. I found this racing history for it.

07/64 : Le Mans, 12, Attwood/Schlesser, DNF – 12/64 : Nassau, 97, Mc Laren, DNF -
02/65 : Daytona, 72, Ginther/Bondurant, 3rd -
03/65 : Sebring, 10, Hill/Ginther, DNF -
04/65 : Le Mans Trials, 10, Bondurant -
04/65 : Monza, 68, Amon/Maglioli, DNF -
05/65 : Nuerburgring, 11, Amon/Bucknum/Hill/Mc Laren, 8th

Anything unknown about this car? There was one fellow who thought this car was later renumbered to be a Gulf car but I can't find substantiation for that.

This website vwkiq has a good front 3/4 for the form in which it will be auctioned:

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...rey-slideshow/

It looks from the publicity pictures like Gooding got a car to sell that has all the tiny details right, down to the correct details and aluminum sides to the front hood vents. I thought it was more of a midnight blue originally but maybe the color changed through the season.

The chassis number is GT 104 as it was a preproduction Ford GT the first 12 numbers (GT101-GT112) including the run of roadster chassis.
Chassis GT40P1004 was the 1965 GT40 that was with Shelby's caravan tour (together with a GT350 Mustang, a 427S/C Cobra and a Cobra Daytona coupe). In 1968 when JWA where short of GT40 it was rebuilt to Gulf specs and given the number GT40P1084. In fact I think it still has reference to its heritage with the number 104 still on the chassis plate???
The 1964 prototype shovel nose gave way to successive modifications until GT40P1006 appear at 1965 Le Mans with the definative nose. It was one of the first four prototypes fitted with the Ford 256 Indy. This was replace for Nassau by a 289 Cobra engine.
If its in Shelby trim the 1965 teams car colour was Guardsman Blue.
Regards Allan

I saw GT/104 at Greg Lornberger's home in Illinois, in 1994 if memory serves me correctly. Greg had stripped the car and was slowly rebuilding it. He told me that in the course of his work he had discovered that the paint used had not been Guardsman Blue, as hitherto thought, but was instead another Ford colour, Caspian Blue, which was a little darker then Guardsman Blue as used on other Shelby cars. It appears that the same Caspian Blue was also used on the other Shelby team GT40 of that time, GT/103.

Greg permitted me to photograph his partially-dismantled car, but with the proviso that I must not publish any the pictures until the car's restoration was complete; that's why Gordon Jones and I were unable to include any updated photographs of GT/104 in our 2005 edition of The Ford That Beat Ferrari - we respected Greg's wishes. Well, it's finished now, so maybe I'll get some of those pictures in to print one of these days.

Back