Engine transaxle inclination

Paul T.

Supporter
Question on the Advantages, disadvantages setting the engine transaxle at 1-3 degrees, such as up a bit maybe 1 1/2 degrees for coolant- air bubble flow advantage, but then a possible disadvantage for oil level and lubrication in the transaxle. I have no experience with BMW ZF M1. Looks as if the original cars were at 0 but not sure why.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I would design the power train placement to dead level and a low as possible (clearance to ground interference) with attention to driveshaft angles being my primary consideration. Then I would deal with trapped air in the coolant system as a separate problem. Self bleeding systems in GT40s are well known, inexpensive to implement, and 100% effective.

1 or 2 degrees (front up) will have little effect in bleeding air from the entire coolant system. Maybe a bit in the engine but not in the rest of the car, especially the radiator. Assuming seals that seal and full of proper oil I don't believe that the gearbox lubrication efficiency will be impacted at all. Here's a pic of GT40 self bleed system. If you search bleeding air from the coolant system and other similar searches you will find a great deal on the subject. This problem has been solved for years.

Attachments

• Cooling system diagram.jpg
    Cooling system diagram.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Back