Going to a car show - what to ask?

Hi Guys,

I have always wanted to build my own car, and sine I was a teenager this was going to be an AC Cobra. In the last couple of years I have started looking at building either a Cobra or GT40. I was hoping to go to the Kit Car Show (Stonleigh, UK) last year but that was posponed, and - fingers crossed - will be going this year. I have started to write down questions I want to ask the vendors, because I guess you don't buy a kit-car on the internet.

So, my question to you is: what questions should I be asking to make the day as productive as possible, and to make sure I have all the information I need to make the right choice for me?

Thanks,
Phil.

You should attend an event where the gt40enthusiastsclub will be. Their members will tell you everything you should know.
They are very friendly and helpfull.

I have met them several times at Silverstone Classic (while I live in Holland) and they where always very open and very helpfull with my build (even before I bought my kit).

Mike Pass

Supporter
A few things,
Say where are you based as this will help to target advice.
Get in touch/join (very much advised) the GT40 Enthusiasts Club. There will be cars to see, talk to builders, talk to owners, access to parts. etc. There will be a group near you.
Check out the many build logs here on the forum.
Check out the requirements for getting your car through the IVA test esp. emissions.
Check out the websites of GT40 kit suppliers e.g..
Southern GT
Tornado
GTRacing
Visit the Club area at the Silverstone Classic at the end of this month
Check out the piggy bank!
Cheers
Mike

If you can, see if there’s someone local who can show you round their car or even take you for a drive…..be warned, they are addictive.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
As pretty much noted above. Seek out current owners and get their thoughts on the quality and manufacturer response/support. Talking to sales folks of the product can be enlightening, but nothing says it better than the customer perception. There are lots of blogs/forums that can educate you on issues as well (GT40s for example).

Back