looking for bits and pieces

i am just trying to compile a list of components and their prices so i can get a pretty close estimate on the costs i am looking at. i also could use some help locating some things that you guys might readily know where to find them.

i am planning a custom car build with a gm ls3 6.2 midengine longitudinal layout with transaxle ( the quaife zfq if i can ever get ahold of they guy selling them to find out price dimensions and ratios). it shouldnt be a problem to get alternator computer and a/c to go along with the ls3. the brakes i was considering getting them from ultimas website along with the handbrake they are ap racing12.7" 4 pot all around. i will continue to shop around for better prices or more suitable products.

a major thing i was having real trouble finding anything on is a steering rack. anyone know a place? looking for quick ratio like 2.5 to 3 preferable alloy.

just listing major pieces now will get down to details later (shift knobs gauges etc )

LS3 engine - $6000-8000
Quaife ZFQ transaxle - ?
Steering Rack - ?
Brakes - 4000

probably build the suspension except for springs/shocks or coil overs if i go that route. steel chassis spaceframe not sure of pipe size or type just yet. possible aluminum tub. either a fiberglass or carbon/kevlar body that is easily removed. as far as i know the company i saw that was selling the carbon/kevlar sold the resins with it and didn't say anything about baking it so id assume its fine to just let it set up in a warm dry area?

ill stop there for now and just put other items if im having trouble finding them or when i think of them. obviously thats a very short list but you guys are more than welcome to point out all the things im missing so i can make sure i have on my list of items i have written down somewhere around here.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Quaife ZFQ transaxle - ?

• Quaife ZFQ transaxle - ~$13,000.
  • RBT ZF transaxle - $13,000
  • Powershifting into 2nd in a cloud of smoke and snapping the back end into line with a flick of the wrist: priceless.
PS: ZFQ was just shy of 7,000 GBP last time I asked; shipping and import duty add a bunch more. Ratios are well-documented elsewhere on this forum. Chris Melia hasn't been that hard for me to contact. Perhaps he's on holiday.

Last edited:
Back