New member with a T70

Amazing car Brian. How is the car titled and registered in Texas? Very curious how you got that past the DMV. And you are running race Avons on the street? wow.

Car looks simply amazing.

Thanks Lee! We have an antique registration here that doesn’t require inspection. The caveat is you’re only supposed to drive for exhibitions and shows (which I respect). PM me if you’re in TX too and need more details.

Yup, Avons on the street; they’re the only tires that fit the wheels. I believe Hoosier is also making the same sizes now. Regardless, I got them grooved since the DOT laws specifically say slicks are not allowed.

I’ve found that as long as I don’t drive recklessly most police leave you alone. They probably assume it’s just a kit car.

Jim Albright

Supporter
Brian,
The Google translator converted it to this:
Hi here at the bread roll fetch at my bakery the ride on the road is a challenge with a lola with 580 hp you can only see what in the back and on the side you can see nothing at all greetings meinolf

Jim

Thanks Lee! We have an antique registration here that doesn’t require inspection. The caveat is you’re only supposed to drive for exhibitions and shows (which I respect). PM me if you’re in TX too and need more details.

Yup, Avons on the street; they’re the only tires that fit the wheels. I believe Hoosier is also making the same sizes now. Regardless, I got them grooved since the DOT laws specifically say slicks are not allowed.

I’ve found that as long as I don’t drive recklessly most police leave you alone. They probably assume it’s just a kit car.
Gotcha. I am in California. Possible to register it here but the tires would be a hard thing to explain to the CHP. Just a lovely car.

hi also ich habe eine deutsche straßenzulssung mit einem h = für historisch ich bin im gleichen landkreis der wie damals als der einzigste je zugelassene porsche 917 gefahren ist also bin ich in guter gesellschaft ich fahre einen pirelli reifen p-zero asimmetrico 345/35 zr 15 95y auf einer lolafelge 14.5 zoll gruß meinolf

Attachments

• 917k021joachimgrossman1.jpg
    917k021joachimgrossman1.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2042.JPG
    IMG_2042.JPG
    463 KB · Views: 65

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
“hi, so I have a German street license with an H = for historic. I'm in the same district that drove the only Porsche 917 ever registered, so I'm in good company. I drive a Pirelli tire P-Zero Asimmetrico 345/35 ZR 15 95y on a lola rim 14.5 inch greetings meinolf”

Very cool. Congrats on some very nice rides.

Regards Brian

Olf, looks like you're using the rear wheel from the Mk3 at 14" wide. Good idea! I believe street tires made for the DeTomaso Pantera (which has a 14" wide rear wheel on certain versions) would fit that wheel, but I think those are made in limited batches and maybe not made any longer. Any other 14" wide tire is only available for rims larger than 15" diameter, from my research.

I'm running the 17" wide wheel so my choices are pretty limited. Now that Avon is out of production I think there's only one tire that fits this wheel available for purchase (a Hoosier).

Pic of tires for fun :)

Attachments

• IMG_2176.jpeg
    IMG_2176.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 71
We Pantera people use the Pirelli 345x35-15 tire. It will fit a 13" rim correctly but can be stretched to use on a 14" rim. They are made in small quantities and readily available in both the UK and USA. Bring your bank account when preparing to purchase. The problem you will find with it for this fitment is the overall tire height is less than 25" tall. The Avon's have a much higher sidewall.

@Brian C love the Lola! I'm in the DFW area and would love to connect, I've been wanting to see a Lola in person for quite some time. I'm a member at Eagles Canyon Raceway - I'd love to invite you out as my guest. I just joined so I can't PM you - do you mind shooting me a message?

Brian,
Seems like the lack of suitable sized street tires has been a problem for quite a while - maybe at some point there will be enough of a demand to convince one of the manufacturers to start carrying the wider sizes. I had a set of AVON slicks modified by cutting a tread pattern, but if you ever get stopped, they still are not legal for road use:( Still no estimated completion date from Fran, although I hope sooner rather than later:)View attachment 121682
Brian - Have you looked at Hoosier DOT tires? They are slicks with a single groove cut in them, but Hoosier obtained DOT approval, which is stamped on the side.

Brian - Have you looked at Hoosier DOT tires? They are slicks with a single groove cut in them, but Hoosier obtained DOT approval, which is stamped on the side.

Hoosier just brought out a racing tire that fits the same as the Avons, so that's great to have a new source (Dunlop still makes them as well, I believe). Also whomever bought Avon's assets is supposedly working on getting it started (Nova).

Unfortunately you're just not going to find a 17" wide DOT/street tire with the small sidewall. There's no market. (drag racers want a lot of sidewall)

However the Avons are amazingly docile on the road. Road driving is not really going to introduce a heat cycle as with racing, so they last a long time. And they have plenty of grip even when cold at street speeds. Just have to find the right pressure for public street speeds.

As for getting pulled over, I used to be worried about it but I'm really not any more. I've been pulled over, but mostly for the loud exhaust, and to check out the car. Every time I see a police car behind me they definitely run the plate to see what it is, but I haven't been harassed or anything. I drive like an adult though. Definitely don't want to crash in a fiberglass and aluminum car! We don't have inspections here for antique registration so no issue there. And starting next year, no inspection at all (just emissions, and 25+ year old are exempt from that). I might get a normal registration so I can take it grocery shopping :b

Back