Operational military jets Thunder City, Cape Town,

Hi all you high flyers (as opposed to low flyers),

A visit by an old friend from the UK, a former RAF test pilot from the 1960s era, Keith Hawes, was a good excuse to re-visit Thunder City, which adjoins Cape Town International Airport, South Africa.

Thunder City operates the world’s largest ‘heavy metal’ ex military jet squadron. ‘Heavy metal’ means aircraft with a weight in excess of 15 000 lbs empty and thrust in excess of 10 000 pounds static. The fleet consists of four supersonic English Electric Lightnings (the only flying Lightnings in the world), seven Hawker Hunters, three Blackburn (Hawker Siddeley) Buccaneers (also the only flying examples in the world) and a BAC Strikemaster. Quite amazing as the aircraft hail from the 1950s era and an indication how advanced aircraft design and construction was in Great Britain at the time.

The squadron operates for peaceful purposes only and is used for the carrying of tourists (not exactly cheap but if you have the bucks why not an experience of a lifetime?), various aspects of fast jet training, movie making and demonstration at air shows. All aircraft are issued with a South African Certificate of Airworthiness and have been subjected to extremely stringent technical and operational requirements as laid down by the Civil Aviation Authority.

Thunder City is also the only civilian owned ex-military jet operation to attain an ICAO recognised training licence (CAA Part 114) and is used for test pilot training by the US, Australian and British military.

Cape Town’s geographic locality lends itself completely to fast jet flying – it’s at ‘the end of the line’ – ie no overhead traffic . In addition, the airspace over the Atlantic and Indian Oceans, which join at the Southern tip of South Africa, is seldom utilised.

The exceptional beauty of the Cape scenery enhances the experience. There are breathtaking vistas of mountain ranges, ocean cliffs, checkered winelands and fertile valleys countered by harsh desertscapes.

Thunder City is the brainchild of Mike Beachy Head who has been described as a business Mr Fixit, inventor, entrepreneur, marketing genius and now mostly as a jet pilot. Mike’s life long passion for jets came to pass when he acquired a Hawker Hunter in 1993 for high speed personal business transport. At the time his national air freight company was operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week and the opportunity to travel to any of his operations without notice seemed a sufficiently sound reason to make his first fast jet purchase.

At an air show in Cape Town on December 3 last year Mike did a dead vertical 9 km
(5.62 miles) climb in 1 min 42 secs in one of the English Electric Lightnings, the Frightening as it was also known in the RAF. The time could have been quicker but there was a problem with one of the after burners. Another recent quick time was 20000 ft reached in 65 seconds from a standing start.

When one enters Thunder City one is welcomed by a Gloucester Javelin mounted overhead. When Keith looked up the registration number he said that he might have flown that very plane and will check his logbook when he returns to the UK. Now that would be a coincidence!

I believe that Cape Town was recently voted as the world’s most popular tourist city by some group or organisation. So there you have it, come fly with me as the song goes and visit the South African GT40 factories. And of course we have a weak rand which makes dollars, pounds, euros, etc, go a long way.

Flying is the safest way to fly!
Andre 40

Attachments

• 73815-D1690031.JPG
    73815-D1690031.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 330
A 1950s South African Air Force (SAAF) Vampire, not in a position to ever fly again!

Attachments

• 73835-D1690030.JPG
    73835-D1690030.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 315
Keith Hawes next to a Buccaneer and appropriately under 'Royal Air Force Establishment' which establishment he belonged to once upon a time.

Attachments

• 73836-D1690029.JPG
    73836-D1690029.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 314
Oops, Royal Aircraft Establishment I should have said. No, I'm not on Shell's marketing payroll!

Next pic, Keith next to a Hawker Hunter. Amazing that that aircraft saw the light of day in 1951.

Attachments

• 73839-D1690028.JPG
    73839-D1690028.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 341
Andre

Great pictures! - but Keith looks very familiar to me.. do you know which RAE he is pictured at? Farnborough? or perhaps Boscombe down?

I used to work on Buccaneer XV343 - an old girl but fitted with modern electronics and FLIR. The pilots loved it, claims of fame if I recall were 'reportedly':
A roll rate of 720 degress / second and one of the only bombers of the '50s' that could fly to Moscow and back on it's own fuel load..

Having one pass over you within 150ft at over 300kts is not something you forget.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Happy days..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Paul,

Keith might have been stationed at Farnborough at some time but he was definitely at Boscombe Down. He grew up in Woking (McLaren country!) as did my wife, whom I met in i965. He was educated at Ardingley, Sussex, as was incidentally the late Mike Hawthorn. At the time he fancied my sister-in-law to be, Christine, but as he was a shy fellow he was slow on the draw and she married someone else. Now that they are both divorced he’s in Cape Town to make up for lost time even though the wrinkles have set in. That for the male species should of course read ‘lines of distinction.’ Bad luck Christine!

You’ll no doubt remember the RAF pilot who was peed off about something and in protest flew low over the Thames and straight through Tower Bridge which must have taken immense skill and courage as the gap was rather small for a jet at high speed. The next day we were discussing the incident and Keith with his dry sense of humour said, ‘Yeah, but one must watch out for the traffic coming the other way.’

I’ve twice had the privilege of having stood directly under an English Electric Lightning doing its vertical thing.

In December 1965 my wife and I went to Scotland for our ….er…. prototype honeymoon. For those of us involved with car building a prototype is always important but it’s said that the prototype never turns out to be like the eventual production models! Anyway, we stayed at Elgin in Murrayshire and one late and gloomy afternoon we headed for the beach (for a walk not to swim!). On the way we passed that famous, bleak and tough institute of learning, Gordonstoun, where Prince Charles and his mates had to shower in cold water (allegedly). Perhaps Camilla could confirm that he’s long since recovered from the devasting after effects!

As we were walking along the beach with not a soul in sight we heard a jet firing up at the nearby Lossiemouth RAF base. Within a minute or two it appeared low over the beach through the patchy clouds and saw that it was an English Electric Lightning. Almost as if for our benefit the pilot pulled back the joy stick and went up vertically right overhead. Until today I see the twin glowing exhausts and my ears are still ringing form the thunderous and reverberating noise. In flash it was gone.

About seven months later, to be precise on July 16 1966, at the British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch, the Red Arrows put on a magnificent display diving and swooping low over the circuit. When they disappeared an English Electric Lightning appeared from the Druids side of the circuit when I standing on the inner side of the circuit where Paddock Bend bottoms out. It went up vertically right overhead and for the second time in about seven months I had the same view. Not bad!

A friend whose family made their millions in diamonds and who owns a classic car business in Cape Town recently went for a joy ride in one of the English Electric Lightnings. He said no matter how fast you’ve driven, including a Formula One car, there’s nothing that compares with the exhilaration and sensations experienced being whipped through the skies in supersonic military jet.

After a few more hanger shots I’ll post some stunning aerial pics from a CD that Thunder City gave me.

Next week I’m meeting up with Mike Beachy Head to interview him for an aircraft magazine. I’ll suggest to him that if I bring him customers that he credits my commission account until I’ve accumulated enough points for a ride. Wonder if he’ll buy that one, but nothing ventured nothing gained. If he agrees please flock to Cape Town and book you flights so that André 40 can tell you what it’s like to be close to heaven, but by that time you’ll also know!!!!

The attached pic is of a Buccaneer in for maintenance.

Best regards,
Andre

Attachments

• 73869-D1690025.JPG
    73869-D1690025.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 328
The business end of and English Electric Lightning

Attachments

• 73872-D1690021.JPG
    73872-D1690021.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 311
Typo - an not and!

Two English Electric Lightnings

Attachments

• 73874-D1690023.JPG
    73874-D1690023.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 293
Two Buccaneers.

A vicar saw a little boy wearing a pirate's hat.

'Where are your buccaneers, son?' asked the man of the cloth in friendly manner. 'Under my bucking hat,' was the reply.

Hi Paolo,

No the ME 262 is not at Thunder City. I think it's at the Air Force Museum in Johannesburg. I'll check and let you know.

Best,
Andre 40

Attachments

• 73884-D1690017.JPG
    73884-D1690017.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 342
Hi Paul,

I've just read your post again. I took the pics of Keith at Thunder City about two weeks ago but about 40 years ago he could have been photographed at Boscombe Down in almost identical poses.
Despite a few wrinkles, I mean lines of distinction, he's aged well. Good news for my sister-in-law!

Regards,
Andre

Hi All,

I tried to post the aerial pics but the files are too big. I'll have them reduced and will post tomorrow.

Onwards and upwards,
Andre 40

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Andre,
Can you post the prices of flying in these magnificent machines ? Maybe a Spey engined F4 would complement their collection although the Lightning still outclimbs/outclasses just about anything.
Just to digress, I once heard of a last minute safety briefing from the front cockpit to the rear cockpit of an F4 given by a relatively junior RN Pilot to very senior Navy Staff Officer as the deck crew were putting the catapult strop on . "Right Sir, again make sure your straps are uncomfortably tight and your head is against the support behind you. I've found it's better not to be circumcised flying these things. As we launch, the mildly pleasant sensation is your foreskin sliding backwards" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Several years ago, mydaughter was dating a guy who won an adventure through one of the Maxim stores. It was a trip to the Soviet Republic and a second seat experience in one of the Russian migs. He invited her to go, and at the last minute the trip was changed due to the ever changing world of politics. They wound up in Cape Town. She was one of the first women to get this experience. One she will never forget. She got a flight suit as a souviner(?). If you get the chance, take them up on it.
Bill

I can still vividly remember about 25 odd years ago, sitting in the open seaboat of a frigate, doing " plane guard" for one of our aircraft carriers, watching a Buccaneer screaming towards us, wave hopping at about 30 ft (which put him at about the same height as us in the boat!) then he went vertical, it seemed almost feet away, right above us! Nearly shook us out of the boat!

Back