Newbie. Considering RCR GT40

Thought I'd say hello. I love cars and have been eyeing the GT40 for a while. I almost bought on of the Ford GT's this summer and the WANT is still lingering b

I have two other cars at the moment, an Aston Martin V12 Vantage and an R8 V10. Two very different cars, but they both have the big engines, even if they go about their business in very different ways.

I take the R8 to the track and it is a very competent track car. This year the car will get sorted so we will see how it does. The R8 is fantastic, though I wish it was more raw.

Here's what I'm thinking, build an RCR GT40. Do it for the joy of the build, do it as a way to build something unique, something for me. But I know EVERY car has its own culture and rules. I fear the GT40 might have a more traditional base for what I have in mind. I'm hoping not.

I want to go RCR because they seem to have a killer kit and I have local support (great guys, saw them a few weeks back). I love the idea of an aluminum monocoque.

I drive mostly new exotica, so my performance expectations might be inconsistent, or not. I might WISH for a more raw driving experience, but reality might kick my butt.

What I'm looking for is more of a resto-mod car. My brother builds amazing first gen camaros built on modern corvette platforms. I want a car built on the ideas of the 60's assuming they had the benefit of our knowledge.

That means better brakes, tires, interiors, electronics, suspension etc. but not to the point it alters the experience.

I'd love to create a modern, light weight, high powered car that could whoop some butt on the track and turn heads on the streets. Maybe I'm crazy, maybe I should continue with the R8. But I see what you guys have done and many of these cars are just amazing.

Anyway, hi

The SLC is amazing, but visually it can't compete with the drama of the GT40. That's an idea that has survived all kinds of trends, technologies and competition. It really is a classic.

You aren't alone in wanting something note quite vintage with respect to the performance criteria. Mine is going to be a 5.0 Aluminator (strengthened Coyote) based car with some modifications (see image attached) to the front to help aerodynamics a bit and other items (brakes, electronics, etc.) that you mention. I'll also be going with more modern wheels with lower profile tires. Yes, there are some here who will cringe at the thought of such sacrilege, but in the end it is your car.

As for performance expectations, well...do a little bit of math and I think you will be very happy. A 2,400lb car (most GT40s tend to run about that...an aluminum monocoque probably less) with 500hp or so will be quite...exhilarating...compared to the Aston Martin Vantage for example.

Have fun!

Attachments

• 2012-11-29 15.00.36.jpg
    2012-11-29 15.00.36.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
Dean Lampe build a RCR GT40 for the track. He sold it a couple of years ago but I heard it was very fast on the track.

I don't know if he did a build log on this forum but you could search or maybe someone can help you find the link.

I do have a link to YouTube of Dean's car on the track.

Kit Car magazine did a article on his car.

I think the RCR GT 40 would make a great track car.

Dwight

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k-sJYIrfOE]Dean Lampe's RCR GT40 on the track - YouTube[/ame]

Oh yes, Welcome to the forum

500hp or so will be quite...exhilarating...compared to the Aston Martin Vantage for example.

Have fun!

Actually, the V12 Vantage is an extremely exhilarating car. I was all set to buy a Ford GT, we were at the final stages when I drove the V12. The reality is the Aston drove how the Ford looked and the Ford drove like a GT.

There is a very good reason why the V12 Vantage is LOVED by the very best car critics, yet dismissed by boys who read numbers in magazines. It is a modern car, but it delivers a holistic mechanical experience that we all crave.

Obviously the GT40 is to the left of that spectrum, but many of the new cars are moving way to the right. The new 991 is a prime example. Amazing numbers, but the experience is not there unless you are on a track or willing to go to jail.

Strangely I'm one of the few people who think the McLaren 12C is when you set it up right. Super expensive though and the depreciation will likely be epic.

There is a very good reason why the V12 Vantage is LOVED by the very best car critics, yet dismissed by boys who read numbers in magazines.

Sorry that some of us "boys" don't have $200,000 to put down on a car.

Although I am certain my unsophisticated taste cannot fully appreciate what you mean by "holistic experience", you were talking about "performance expectations" and "raw driving experience".

In that mode then, here are some track times showing both the Ford GT and your Aston:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/nardo_handling_course.html
http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/top_gear_track.html

So, maybe it isn't as refined, but it sure seems to run well enough.

Last edited:
Sorry that some of us "boys" don't have $200,000 to put down on a car.

Although I am certain my unsophisticated taste cannot fully appreciate what you mean by "holistic experience", you were talking about "performance expectations" and "raw driving experience".

In that mode then, here are some track times showing both the Ford GT and your Aston:

Nardo Handling Course lap records - FastestLaps.com
Top Gear Track lap records - FastestLaps.com

So, maybe it isn't as refined, but it sure seems to run well enough.

Problem?
Is everything ok.

Jim

Back