And Now, The rest of the story......

As most of you know I completed my RFGT40 build on June 10th of this year after starting it last September. My GT has for the most part sat in the garage without ever being driven other than a few trial runs for the past few months. This was mainly because I chose to go with another brand of an engine management system. Robert Logan stronly recommended that I should run with the Motec as he believes they are far more reliable. But Nooo!, I had to try this new one out. well to make a long story short it cost me big time..This system was a brand new one and it was the latest version. The company did not have all of the bugs worked out before they sent it to me. I was chasing gremlins for weeks trying to get it to work. Well I finally decided to ditch it and go back to Robert in hopes that I wouldn't hear the proverbial "I told you so". Being the gentlemen he is Robert let me off easy.
I recieved my new Motec system and thought that I would have it installed in time to make the Run & Gun event but that wasn't meant to be. My 80yr old Dad was admitted into the hospital and he recieved a triple by-pass and a new heart valve. The Doctors say that he is doing better than most 60yr olds. So I decided to jump on the GT and see if I could get it going. With the assistance of John Schnieder, we started saturday morning and after several hours we had ignition ! There was a few adjustments to make and then we were off for a test run. I can't explain the feeling I got when I mashed that throttle . This thing squirted off the line and continued to pull the same through every gear. It was amazing! I don't know what Gordon did to this motor but I LIKE IT !!!
grin.gif
shocked.gif
There is no hesitation on throttle, just a quick response, like someone clearing their throat. OH MAN what a feeling !!
grin.gif

As far as the handling goes, it is supurb !
This thing is truley an over grown slot car. Robert, you did you homework on the suspension geometry.
Me and John put ten or twelve miles on it and it was just awsome ! This engine really rocks !
grin.gif

I took the wife out this evening for a ride and she was tickled at how smooth the GT's ride was. It also was very quiet until you put your foot down and you got that unmistakable sound that only a GT40 makes.Well, our little trip turned out to be about 30 miles in lengh. It's amazing how time flies when you're having fun !
I can't wait to show it off. This coming week end I am taking it to a show & cruise with some of the other Arizona Cobra members. The show is full up with 550 cars entered. It should be a good place for her debut.
Well, I hope this long and rambling post wasn't too boring for you. I just couldn't help myself cause I'm really exited right now and it feels great. Did I say that motor really Rocks ! Well, it does !

One extremely happy RF owner,
Hersh
grin.gif

Hi Eric,
Well, to start with the trans is a 4:11 and when I'm in 5th gear I keep wanting to shift to sixth which I don't have. First gear is pretty useless as you have to shift rather quickly. I took it out on an old desert road on the indian reservation and got it up to 130mph. It felt more like I was going 65MPH. I had enough rpms left to go much faster. I think it would probably top out at 185 but I'm not going to be the one to find out.
grin.gif

The clutch feels really good and the gears are easy to find with the cable shift linkage. So far everything seems to be going great. I still can't get over the way this engine pulls through the gears. It never stops pulling until you shift and then it starts pulling again just as strong.
Best of all is the great way this car handles. My cobra is pretty good but it won't hold a candle to this thing. It's almost impossible to get the tires to complain in a turn. actually its a little scarry cause you expect it to make some noise but it doesn't . I'm really looking forward to a track session so that I can really learn what it is capable of to my ability. I know a pro driver could do better but I'm really more interested on what my limits are with this car. So when I do get it on the track I will give a full report as to the handling characteristics.

Hersh
smile.gif

Congrats on finishing the car, as if looking at that paint job didn't make me envious enough! Any other things you would do differently besides the injection? I was also wondering which audi gear ratio you are using (5n?) and how well does it seem to work? Oh yeah and I assume you are using the rf clutch, how big is the diameter and how does it feel? I know it is a little early to give a good report but i think i am excited as you and can't wait to hear about it. thanks

G

Hersh, that is soooo cool! What else is there to say. Let me know when the smile relaxes; next year some time, maybe?

Back