Gearbox

Looking for recommendations on gearboxes for a build. Still haven't picked who I'm buying from. I plan on putting in a 351W bored/stroked to a 427, dart block, Inglese 8-stack fuel injection. Hopefully around 575-600 hp. Looking for something that will allow me to get up and go but still allow me to go. 200+ mph

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
I agree with Tim, this is what I have...

RBT continuation of the ZF gearbox with the following ratios, 1st 2.43, 2nd 1.61, 3rd 1.14, 4th 0.826, 5th 0.642 final 3.56. My gearbox has the new and stronger 2 piece input shaft.

Levy Racing stage 5 engine with dart block and heads, forged internals 399 cuin internally balanced, 625 hp at 7500 rev, fully race machined, solid roller cam, shaft rockers, custom cam grind, HP pin oiled lifters, aluminum flywheel and clutch and Borla EFI with 58mm throttle-bodies (due to the rpm capabilities of my engine 52 mm throttle bodies would not provide enough air at 7,500+ rpm so 58 mm throttle bodies were used).

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Given the choice between a ZF and G50 I would go the ZF route;

My Ultima runs a G50/50 built by Powerhaus with billet side plates, oil spray bar, side shifter etc. sitting behind 600HP SBC and the gearbox cost $15K. For that price you can have a fully built new ZF which is authentic to the GT40 and equally good if not better gearbox. Availability issues of a few years back are no longer a problem, just give Lloyd at RBT a call.

Julian

I agree with Julian
I have a G96 GT3 box which has been problematic. although the Porsche makes good horsepower its the axle snapping torque of the big V8 which hurts them. Obviously its how you drive them too:uneasy: Mine is fine around the street it just doesnt like the track days.
I wish I had gone with the ZF / RBT
Woody

The biggest issue with a lot of the Audi/Porsche options is the choice of ratio's and the Audi has the added problem of axle angles if you want the engine low in the chassis. Do you need a 4 or a 5 speed? IMO if you have a big cube V8 a 4 speed with a reasonable gear spread such as a Wide Ratio Toploader is more that enough so a 930 Porsche box is strong and 4 speeds. The main thing you need to decide is what you are going to use the car for the most and what your budget is.

Cheers Leon.

By the time you are ready, this
attachment.php

Will be fully developed, strong, wide range of ratios, 4 and 5 speed available. Price ?? but cheaper than the other options mentioned earlier. Cheers Leon

Back