Whats your favourite engine???

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
So of all the car engines that have and do exist what is you favourite? Picture and reasons why......

For me its over to the dark side, The Ferrari V12 colombo derived engine used in the 275GTB Daytona. Naturally balanced being a V12 and a forest of Webers on top. It also had double overhead cams for each bank of cylinders.

Attachments

• 1967_Ferrari_275GTBDaytona.jpg
    1967_Ferrari_275GTBDaytona.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 595

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Love the F-engine but have always had a soft-spot in my heart for the old Jaguar 3.8 also even though it is not nearly exotic;

jaguar-xke-history-6.jpg

Chevy LS series engines. V8. Aluminum block. Six-bolt mains. Compact. Light. Powerful - easy 400+ naturally aspirated horsepower. Fuel efficient. All this on only one camshaft. Oh yeah, lots of aftermarket support also.

Ls1.jpg

Doc

Isn't that a picture of an early model 275 with the SOHC. The DOHC of the same engine in the 275 was launched about two years or so later in response to Lamborghini.

Favourite engine Mercedes W154, 1938, supercharged V12, 3litres, 450bhp@ 8000rpm. Will try and find a pic of the engine and post later.

Best modern engine is LS7, light, simple, powerful, cheap to maintain, specially in the back of my RCR!

John

MercW165.jpg

Attachments

• 749.jpg
    749.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:

Keith

If you've ever heard one up close (or even a long way away :eek:) you'll know why..... :)

Attachments

• v16_1.jpg
    v16_1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 583

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
John your right I uploaded an earlier 275 engine with SOHC (per cylinder bank) this is the 4 cam.....

Attachments

• daytona1.jpg
    daytona1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,053

Ron Earp

Admin
"What is your favorite engine?"

The one in the car I'm currently driving and hasn't blown up yet! :)

Sort of like my favorite beer is the one I'm drinking.

Ron,

You must mean "OPB:....right?

(OPB = Other peoples beer).......when cold, is the best tasting beer!

And for the best engine........I would vote for the 305 SBF with Gurney Eagle heads and Weber carbs...of course! (In a GT40....of course!)

I agree with all the guys. Terrific pieces of engineer-art.

W154 is already (on its time) a good engine. BUT the W196 (Desmodromic-driven-Valves) was from technical point of view even better.

To the colombo-engine: Great work, especially when you know, that the basic of this engine is (I guess) in the late 40ts. This engine was the backbone for a long time for Ferrari.

And Keith, according to the BRM ;-)). Really unbelieveable impressive, to hear it !

Finally I can say, I like them all....... and I am happy to have here in this forum other enthusiast........ Regards from Switzerland Marcel.

I thought i'd seen most things until i came across this . . .Bugatti quad turbo V16 4wd set up

Attachments

• v-16 quad turbo 4wd bugatti motor.jpg
    v-16 quad turbo 4wd bugatti motor.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 473

TonyM

Lifetime Supporter
As I orginate from England, being a teen in the late 60's and, at that time, not even knowing what a V8 was my two favorites are:

The good old Lotus Twin Cam (Earlier Ford version 1500 or 1600) and what is known as the first mass produced multi-valve engine, I believe, ...the Triumph Dolomite Sprint 1850.

Both of which I've used to power my Super 7 replicas in the 70's.

Attachments

• lotustwincam.jpg
    lotustwincam.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 363
  • DolmiteSprintEngine.jpg
    DolmiteSprintEngine.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 383
I like all the choices so far
The Merlin is a great favorite as is the R2800 and the slide valve corn cob used in the Hawker Sea Fury(amazing sound from a low altitude pass at about 450 mph!)
The BRM is another unbelievable sonic extravaganza but I have to confess that I have a new favorite, my Four Cam Ford Indy motor (Liberace Version)!
Dave

Attachments

• PICT1513.JPG
    PICT1513.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 401

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Four supercharged water methanol injected 12cyl Griffon 57a's along with two Viper 203's all in one machine and all heading for home after a 14 hour jag - and still all functioning as well !
wr982lo.jpg

Last edited:
Back