For David Morton & other flyboys - Wow!

Ok sorry for the repeat. I don't see everything here.

Yeah I thought it may be fake but I guess wanted it to be real. The landing looked odd but man those fakes are getting everywhere, and better and better. :)

Delete the thread if you want.

Tim.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Tim.
I subscribe to the Computer and Model theory.

However the incident to Neil Williams at Hullavington makes fascinating reading here:
Zlin wing Structural Failure Report - Neil Williams

Shortly after this he ferried the Lancaster (NX611) from Hullavington to Blackpool

He bought it ferrying a Casa2 111d from Spain to the UK over the Pyrenees in 1977.

Another photo appraching our local airport Booker:

approaching Booker with Neil and a pretty stiff cross wind.

Post.

NeilWilliams01-001.jpg

(dm- photo origin unknown)
Anybody know what this aeroplne is ???
Clue - tricycle u/c - but weren't they all?
This guy was the Pilots Pilot.

Thanks Tim.
I subscribe to the Computer and Model theory.

My daughter suggested they may have used a kite for part of it.

Some of the fakes around now are very entertaining, except when you get caught of course... :)

That is an amazing story you posted. Maybe it inspired the clip. :)

Tim.

Jac - you got it in one.
A bit too smart for me at this time in the morning.
Nice one.

Only because I have been fortunate to stand ( stoop would be a better description ) in that very position while a friend did some circuits at Mandeville near Gore ( Home town ).
Pic shows ZK-AKY at back of Hangar with Dragonfly -AYR and others.

Attachments

• gore 003.jpg
    gore 003.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 287

Mike Pass

Supporter
I remember a trip round Blackpool tower in the Dragon Rapide that they used to use for passenger joy rides from Squires Gate airport when I was very young. I remember that it was a deep red colour but that's all - but then again I am now getting a bit ancient! It must have been a good experience as I can still recall it so clearly after 50+ years.
Cheers
Mike

The DH-88 is the one I would like to see them make some progress on, more in line with my faster is better thoughts! Be a while yet though with all the other stuff in the pipeline.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The main DHC aeroplane I flew was the DHC6 Twin Otter for about 4.000 hrs with several atlantic ferries. Others I dabbled with was the DHC2 Beaver on wheels and the PT6-20 variant on floats which was just beautiful, and very briefly the DHC4 Caribou. There is no aeroplane as nicely set up and harmonized than a De Havilland.

David - I never saw one[Beaver] on wheels (no,I'm going to resist going for the one liner).That must lighten up the aircraft considerably from the float version.Did you ever try to see what you could get for minimum roll out? There was a nice one for sale a while back,all fresh, but the price was a shocker -$ 495,000 US A.J.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
By 'roll out' do you mean ground roll on take off ?
I demonstated the DHC 6 Twin otter at some Air Shows after Bill Loverseed's De Havilland Transporter accident at Farnborough, and used to do a trick STOL take off and with a reasonable headwind I could raise the nose wheel while still rolling backwards. Complete - unstick (off the ground) - was about 3 to 4 aeroplane lengths at about 40 -43kts but well below Vmcg and Vmca (64kts). It was quite safe and a bit of an illusion really but STOL also means being well outside of the safety speeds for both landing and take off.
Here in the UK, the only Beavers on wheels we saw were Army Air Corp and the
mil (army) kindly let us have the use of them at the weekends for jumping. Well, I'm not sure the army really had knowledge but I was eternally grateful and loved every minute of it. I think the Auth sheets showed local area recce in the Vale of York. I believe the Beaver and the Twin Otter might be back in production somewhere in the Vancouver area with a company called Viking. Fantastic really as the Beaver design was by Fred Buller in the approx 1946 so the original aeroplanes date from 1947 - the same age as me.

Instrument panel of a DHC-2 - very similar to the Twin Otter except the latter
has the power,pitch, and fuel levers on the ceiling.

And the latest Twin Otter with glass cockpit from Viking:
Power_On_Press_Release_Photo_1_resize.jpg

Last edited:
David - I was referring to actual ft or mtr distance from standing to clearing the runway and again on landing from touchdown to stop.Just wondering how long a distance it took for the DH-2 to get it done.I flew with a bush pilot (lot of talk about Beavers and bush here!) in the northern Canadian region up around James Bay and was more than a little nervous a couple of times.(I think I had mentioned flying around the continent for business and several near accident situations in a previous post). On one occasion,with an Ojibway Indian as the pilot I could not believe the little amount of space or the technique it took to get down,turned around and back in the air again. This was on raw prairie with grass as high as the prop c/l.And this was not even a DH-2. These aircraft are just unbeatable....and with floats,nothing comes close. Also - your story reminded me of a local pilot trying to land an Aeronca Champ at our local grass strip(now a fairground) on top of a hill.He came in against a strong and gusty headwind,kept slowing and was going backwards when he set it down,at that point basically flying it under power down onto the ground.The airport mechanic and manager ran out to hold it down. Looked funny as he went forward out of sight past the hangar and came back in reverse but still in the air. A.J.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
These aircraft are just unbeatable....and with floats,nothing comes close.

Absolutely. As the Pilot, they always made you feel a bit like you could walk on the water.

Ok Had to chime in on the Twin Otter! I used to fly one on the weekends at a busy Skydiving center. This pic shows how to get it to the ground to get more back up. Used to do 30-35 times a day, all the time dodgeing the O'Hare arrivals just 40 miles to the North East. Great Fun!! Great Aircraft!

Attachments

• Twin Otter.jpg
    Twin Otter.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 277
Back