UK, Virtual Fascism...

John,

This piece is over a year old, Peter Mandelson is no longer an elected representative...

You should come and visit us. We need a guy like you, as we constantly live in fear of repression.

Big Brother is watching us...

(Huge sarcasm smiley required here)...

Keith

It did pass into law though and only effects the bigger ISP's such as BT and Talk Talk. (One of the reasons I pay more for an ISP with a smaller footprint)

Basically the onus is placed on the big companies to police 'illegal' file sharing by supplying details of customers they suspect (presumably via download amounts and sites visited) of such activities.

The providers say: "we're just providers not guardians of the Interweb"

BT and Talk Talk are at this moment challenging this ruling and you can see why...:thumbsdown:

This all started with Napster in the United States a few years ago, so the UK did NOT invent this Big Bro attitude regarding the Net. They just copied our friends across the water, as with many other negative imports, and has huge financial implications. I am entirely ambivalant on the issue - both sides have a point (downloaders and copyright holders).

John,

This piece is over a year old, Peter Mandelson is no longer an elected representative...

You should come and visit us. We need a guy like you, as we constantly live in fear of repression.

Big Brother is watching us...

(Huge sarcasm smiley required here)...

Peter Mandelson hasn't been an elected representative for a long time. He was put into the last government by being appointed to the House of Lords (and thereby bypassing the democratic process) and then given a position in the cabinet (and again bypassing the democratic process).

Chris

There are not many people that actually make my skin crawl, but Peter Mandleson is one of them.
Corrupt, slimy little weasel.
He needs to be publicly humiliated in my opinion. Typical stag do prank would be great. Stripped to his underwear and put on a train to Glasgow.
That'd do it.:thumbsup:

Martin

Chris and Martin,

I couldn't agree with you more. a slimy toad of a man. He makes my skin crawl and my blood boil at the same time :thumbsdown:.

Considering the "liberal" bent of SOME of the UK'ers on this forum (thank god not all) I'm sure we will hear that it's good for society, but I'd like to hear from the guys with at least 2 functioning brain-cells...

Posted on 30 Mar 2010 at 17:09

The Chief Whip of the Liberal Democrats has said that the party will not support the Digital Economy Bill.

“I have told the Government we won't support the Digital Economy Bill as drafted. There is not enough time for MPs to examine it in detail,” Paul Burstow, who is MP for Sutton, Cheam and Worcester Park, posted on his Twitter page earlier today."

There are not many people that actually make my skin crawl, but Peter Mandleson is one of them.
Corrupt, slimy little weasel.
He needs to be publicly humiliated in my opinion. Typical stag do prank would be great. Stripped to his underwear and put on a train to Glasgow.
That'd do it.:thumbsup:

Martin

Careful, he might enjoy it!

Chris

Back