Found - 20 spitfires!!

Charlie Farley

Supporter
It seems that our Prime Minister's grandstanding with his visit to Burma, may at least have one good outcome.
The repatriation of 20 Spitfires that were hidden underground during or after WW2. Any buyers out there ?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I wonder what condition they could be in after all these years... Possibly piles of rust and rags?

Keith

Not sure aluminium actually rusts and everyone knows the Merlin is indestructible!

They have just dug a Stuka out of the sands at Dunkirk which went in vertically at over 250 mph and was buried to a depth of 20'. It's amazing what survived, but most of it was taken away in various large shopping bags apart from the engine which is roughly the same shape and size.

Rumour has it it was brought down by a tin of fruit cake from 'Compo' rations thrown by a keen amateur cricketer.... :)

'Owzat!

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Apparently these Spitfires were shipped to Burma in bits, in crates.
Ready to be assembled. They were never assembled and thus if they were ' tropicalised ' they should be in good condition. One source says they were buried, the other says the boxes were stored in caves. No doubt more info will come out.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Oh dear, I feel a Craik & Young moment coming on.....:sad:

Here's a moment for you: don't be an ass and make personal references every time you post.

I bet there are more of these types of things. Most of the stuff shipped to the backwater Burma theater went in crates to be assembled there. P-40s. Brewster Buffaloes. Vultee Vengances. Hurricanes and Spits.

P=40 assembly procedure upon arriving in China:

Byron Glover: Assembling and testing P-40s in Burma

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Burma might have been a 'back water' theatre, but it was in some respects many times more arduous than landing on Omaha.Believe the history books and personal testimonials, not hollywood.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Oh, I totally agree. It was backwater in the sense that it was not a priority for logistics and supply, but it was critical to the war effort and one of the most difficult theaters for the troops who fought there. Jungle warfare, many times in mountainous regions was brutal stuff -- like the Kokoda Track battles in New Guineau where the Aussies held the Japanese off from Port Moresby.

I read a book once, now lost, called Jungle Dive Bombers, which talked about how planes like the Vengenance and the Vindicator and the Skua and others that didn't have much value in the front lines in the Pacific and Europe were invaluable in the jungle, where larger bombers couldn't pinpoint and hit the smaller targets presented by jungle warfare.

And, a little known aspect of the war is how badly the Burma campaign went for the Allies for so long. The Japanese push into India in 43 and 44 was very dangerous, and the "rebel" Indians raised their own army to assist!

Amazing history in the East, starting with the AVG in China and the battles in Malaysia and Java, and then Singapore and the loss of Force Z in 41, and then Burma and India later in the war.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Jeff, glad that you know your stuff, i apologise, took your comment the wrong way.
Our army out there was dubbed ' The Forgotten Army '.
Between the Japanese, the climate, the terrain and malaria, our troops took a wicked toll.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
On a similar note,

I remember hearing about a transport ship that was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic with 15 to 20, brand new P-38 Lightnings in on deck shipping containers. I seem to remember someone trying to organize a search. With the cold water, they might not be in too bad a condition.

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Didn't someone try to retrieve a Lightning or something that was in the Arctic, also? I seem to remember reading about one. I may have the model of airplane wrong, though.

Finding twenty unassembled Spitfires is going to set off a mad scramble, I think. Incidentally, a lot of those engines, the ones that went into P51s, were actually built by Packard in Detroit. They made over fifty thousand of them.

Yes, a P38 was dug out in pieces from something like 100 feet down in the ice. Part of a patrol that was forced to land in some northern territory (Iceland?) in a storm, then left to sit under 50+ years of winter storms. Can still remember pictures of the thing in an ice cave way underground, remarkably intact.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Just Google "Glacier Girl", it was really crushed by the ice, but some rich guy paid to re-do it. Now it's a real beauty.

They brought up 2 P-38s and were able to rebuild 1 (glacier girl). If i'm not mistaken there is a B-17 left there that was grounded along with the P-38s in the same ferry flight, but unsure if anyone is planning on retriving it

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Jeff, glad that you know your stuff, i apologise, took your comment the wrong way.
Our army out there was dubbed ' The Forgotten Army '.
Between the Japanese, the climate, the terrain and malaria, our troops took a wicked toll.

No worries. Good to talk about this stuff, and can't believe you found that book on Amazon! Nice work.

Back