Found - 20 spitfires!!

There was a B-29 that was found in the arctic, Nova did a profile of it. Unfortunately it burned up right before the take-off.

Kevin

Keith

Didn't they find a virtually intact 4 engined bomber that came down on the ice in the Arctic? (A few years ago now)They had been unsuccessfully looking for years as they knew the exact location, but eventually calculated that it drifted off on an ice floe and ended up sunk quite a way from the crash site.

Not sure what aircraft, perhaps B17, B24 or B25?

The Burma Spitfires are Mk XIV with Griffon engines. The Telegraph report by the two lady reporters was egregiously innacurate (partially fixed now) referring to the 'famous jet fighter' !

When I was a young A&P in the early 80's, I apprenticed for a tough old mechanic who did a tour of duty as a Crew Chief on a C46 Commando flying the hump.

I'll never forget going to his house in Orangeburg NY, drinking scotch, and seeing all the "parts" he collected while in Burma.

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
The Burma Spitfires are Mk XIV with Griffon engines. The Telegraph report by the two lady reporters was egregiously innacurate (partially fixed now) referring to the 'famous jet fighter' !

Yep those jet powered Spits were something to behold.
Seriously the reporters and their editor should lose their jobs over that B.S.

Back