U.N. AGREES WITH lonesomebob!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith

At the risk of being killed I would say that the idea of "growing your own fuel" is, was and always will be completely absurd.

A bit like wind farms - a political expedience, not a viable alternative..

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
A bit like wind farms - a political expedience, not a viable alternative...Posted by Keith/QUOTE]

Per Wikipedia............

Wind power in California has doubled in capacity since 2002. With a total of 4,287 megawatts installed, as of the end of March 2012, wind energy now supplies about 5% of California’s total electricity needs, or enough to power more than 400,000 households.

"Absurd"?

Last edited:
A bit like wind farms - a political expedience, not a viable alternative.../QUOTE]

Per Wikipedia............

Wind power in California has doubled in capacity since 2002. With a total of 4,287 megawatts installed, as of the end of March 2012, wind energy now supplies about 5% of California’s total electricity needs, or enough to power more than 400,000 households.

<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I wonder what the windmill to household ratio is.

"“The key problems with current policies for wind power are simple. They require a huge commitment of investment to a technology that is not very green, in the sense of saving a lot of CO2, but which is certainly very expensive and inflexible. Unless the current Government scales back its commitment to wind power very substantially, its policy will be worse than a mistake, it will be a blunder,” Professor Hughes said."
Wind Energy Is Extraordinarily Expensive And Inefficient | Watts Up With That?

Wind power is hugely subsidized, and it looks like hell. Funny how the government susidizes these eyesores, that KILL BIRDS!!!!!!!, while blocking owners of private land over a flea or snail.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Funny how the government susidizes these eyesores, that KILL BIRDS!!!!!!!,

A study from 2009, comparing the causes of avian mortality in the U.S., found that wind turbines are responsible for 20 000 annual deaths. This number might seem like a lot, but not in comparison to annual avian deaths caused by transmission lines (175 000 000!).

Screw the birds.

"“The key problems with current policies for wind power are simple. They require a huge commitment of investment to a technology that is not very green, in the sense of saving a lot of CO2, but which is certainly very expensive and inflexible. Unless the current Government scales back its commitment to wind power very substantially, its policy will be worse than a mistake, it will be a blunder,” Professor Hughes said."
Wind Energy Is Extraordinarily Expensive And Inefficient | Watts Up With That?

Wind power is hugely subsidized, and it looks like hell. Funny how the government susidizes these eyesores, that KILL BIRDS!!!!!!!, while blocking owners of private land over a flea or snail.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I assume that transmission lines are needed to take the power from the wind Farms to the households or do these eyesores magically do away with transmission lines?

And they're ugly.

Attachments

• Leo-blog-on-wind-energy---006.jpg
    Leo-blog-on-wind-energy---006.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 139

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
You brought up birds. I like birds very much, but if bird deaths are your reason to do or not do something then we should do away with large glass buildings and transmition lines.

Pete obviously the transmition line would still be there.

But then you went with ugly as a reason to not do wind power. OK lets talk ugly......................

<LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; WIDTH: 258px; PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; HEIGHT: 166px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" class=rg_li i429="38" i1527="39" data-row="1"><LI style="WIDTH: 112px; HEIGHT: 166px" class=rg_li i429="41" i1527="42">

Potrero generating plant.jpg
baycitizen.org

500 × 387 - The future of a power plant on San Francisco's bayshore could be revealed on ...

Similar More sizes

<BUTTON id=rg_hrib class=kpgrb>Report</BUTTON>Image reported​

Done reporting

<LI style="WIDTH: 217px; HEIGHT: 161px" class=rg_li i429="28" i1527="29"><LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 13px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 225px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; HEIGHT: 141px; PADDING-TOP: 12px" class=rg_li i429="44" i1527="45">

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
But do not forget that something like 44% of our power cones from coal. OK lets talk ugly........................

<LI style="WIDTH: 246px; HEIGHT: 173px" class=rg_li i429="256" i1527="257" data-row="1"><LI style="WIDTH: 160px; HEIGHT: 173px" class=rg_li i429="259" i1527="260"><LI style="WIDTH: 253px; HEIGHT: 173px" class=rg_li i429="262" i1527="263">

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=coal...&w=452&h=534&ei=1c8lULKgGuSviAKO2YD4CQ&zoom=1

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
So you think windpowered devices are ugly?

<LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; WIDTH: 143px; PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; HEIGHT: 168px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" class=rg_li i429="339" i1527="340">

2207929-420564-two-electricity-windmills-under-the-clear-blue-sky.jpg

start-wind-farm-800x800.jpg

Last edited:

Keith

This site is powered by Jim Craik.

No birds are harmed by this process.

Just pure, simple, hot air energy.

What's not to like? :)

Let me get back to you on that....... :shifty:

How did I miss this? Energy and specifically Electricity, is my field.

WIND IS NOT A REAL, VIABLE generation option.

Wind is simply a VISIBLE option allowing the powers that to be BE SEEN to be doing something. Wind generation is a most excellent way to fool idiots!

You want a viable alternative power source. Look to the sea and invest in that. Hydro power is proven. Wind. Gimme a break.

I purchase around 1TW of electricity per year. Wind is bullshit, has not and never will impact sufficiaently on standard generating capacity. Anyone who say it does, is either self-motivated or easily fooled.

Last edited:
I have a picture of a fluffy kitten I could post if anyone wants to see it or will be convinced by it that cats don't kill.

Wind is lovely, wind doesn't kill. Wind is clean, you can hear the harps of angels riding in it.

COAL IS BLACK and dirty and therefore BAD!

What are we? Six years old FFS

You know, this talk of ugly in relation to wind turbines, kind of does my head in. I am certain that existing Pylons etc are ugly, but who cares? No one really. we all grew up with them and understand they are a necessary part of the infrastructure that allows us to live as we do. The good ole USA looks like sh1t on almost every single street I have ever driven down, by being covered with overhead cables all over the place. Over here once the grid reaches the town, the cables are largely underground. Much nicer, if much more expensive. Still, you makes your choices.

Argue alternative generation technologies on merit relating to their ability to generate/cost to implement/cost to maintain/lifespan of system etc. Forget what it looks like. I suspect we can't afford (globally), to consider asthetics any more when it comes to issues like power availability at affordable prices.

Once again, just like the cost of gasoline, our friends over in the US have it pretty good when it comes to the cost of energy. I strongly suspect they'd rise up and revolt if they were paying as much as 20p per kWh!

Back