The USS Enterprise - final voyage.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
This may be of interest to some on the gt40 website:

The USS Enterprise - The world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier ended its remarkable career at sea on Sunday when it pulled into its home port for the final time after participating in every major conflict since the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962.

The USS Enterprise began shutting down its eight nuclear reactors almost as soon as it arrived at its pier at Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia, where thousands of cheering family members and friends welcomed the ship home from its 25th and final deployment after nearly eight months at sea. The ship will never move on its own power again and will eventually be scrapped in Washington state.

Copies of the ship's daily newspaper, the Shuttle, were in short supply as sailors looked for memorabilia to take with them. Countless personal photos were taken by sailors throughout the ship as it approached shore.

"It's exceptionally emotional and exceptionally satisfying," Rear Adm. Ted Carter, commander of the Enterprise Strike Group, said as the naval station came into view and his sailors manned the rails.

However, Carter is the first to say that the Enterprise's final deployment was anything but a sentimental victory lap. The ship's fighter planes flew more than 2,200 combat sorties and dropped 56 bombs in Afghanistan while supporting U.S. and international ground troops. In a show of force to Iran, the ship also passed through the strategic Strait of Hormuz 10 times, more than double the typical amount, Carter said.

The Enterprise has been a frequent traveler to the Middle East. It was the first nuclear-powered carrier to transit through the Suez Canal in 1986, and it was the first carrier to respond after the 9/11 attacks, changing course overnight.

An entire room on the ship serves as a museum to its history, which includes a large photo of the burning twin towers placed in a timeline that wraps around a wall.

The Navy will officially deactivate the Enterprise on Dec. 1, but it will take several more years for it to be decommissioned as its reactors are taken out. About 15,000 people are expected to attend the deactivation ceremony, which will be its last public ceremony after several days of tours for former crew members.

Those who have served on the ship have a unique camaraderie. It is the second-oldest ship in the Navy after the USS Constitution, and its age has frequently shown. Things frequently break down, and spare parts for a ship that's the only one in its class aren't made anymore.

Some of the ship's original crewmembers from 51 years ago - known as plank owners - were among the 1,500 civilians who joined the Enterprise for its last two days at sea, known as a Tiger Cruise.

"This is the end of an era that I helped start, so I was just honored that the captain invited me on board. There's no way I'd turn that down," said original crew member Ray Godfrey of Colorado Springs, Colo.

USS-Enterprise-Celebrates-Navy-Birthday-Underway-for-Last-Time1.jpg

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I remember back in the late 60's and early 70's, when I was doing a lot of sailing on the bay. The Big E was stationed at Alameda, we would see this huge, beautiful ship returning from Vietnam. There was always a huge group of families and friends on the Golden Gate bridge, banners, signs and streamers. Quite a sight.

I surely hope they turn this famous ship into a museum, but then its even more famous predecessor CV6 was turned into razor blades, so who knows.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
There IS a naval museum in Norfolk, where the USS Wisconsin is berthed, so it's at least possible in theory. I don't know if there's room for it, though......

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I just read that in order to remove the Enterprise's eight reactors, it will be necessary to cut her up to the point that reassembling would be cost prohibitive. What A shame!

There is an on-line petition to name the forthcomming CVN 80 "Enterprise", I have added my name.

Keith

David, believe it or not, I have actually been on the Enterprise. In 1975 I flew into Oakland and booked into a Motel called the London Lodge. This was my very first trip to the USA and as all the others, it was a business trip.

Two rather unusual things happened during my stay before we hit Highway 1 South. The first was that next day I found myself cleaning the leaves from the pool belonging to a rather tasty barmaid that worked at the London Lodge who, inexplicably came from Ealing in West London! and the second, I got my ass kicked at darts by a personable young man who was also staying at the motel and just happened to be a naval rating working on the USS Enterprise in Oakland Harbour. I believe she was being refitted at the time.

To my astonishment, he invited us on board to see his "rack" and some other interesting bits of the ship but we were not allowed near the "Sun Deck" :laugh: . There was little or no security and everything was quite relaxed. Man! That thing was huge and I think I'm right in saying that the flight deck was wood at that time? Not terribly sure.

The only other US carrier I've been up close and personal to was the Nimitz. I was tied up to her anchor chain whilst attending the Queens Jubilee Spithead Fleet Review back in '94 I think it was. One link of the Nimitz chain was longer than my boat! There was also a US Marines Helicopter Carrier there can't remember the name but it was a guy's name as I recall.

I have some photos I snapped of the Enterprise flight deck somewhere. If you're interested, I'll dig them out scan them and post them here.

PS They could sink it next to the Big 'O' :)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
And obviously a cheapskate Jack, only a 100 quid for a compliment like that.
Shame. Although I suppose an old white guy like Keith has to watch his penny's
He can only afford mouldy cheese and very old wine poor fella.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,
Tell us a bit more about the pool. Leaf cleaning does not sit well with lists of excuses and quite a few, well, me at least, need to find out how you think we will accept such a stupid, though outwardly reasonable, comment. Leaf cleaning is a tedious and very boring pastime
especially at this time of year and I am taking a full Ford Explorer of Ash leaves ( the oak trees are yet to shed) every week.
Please elaborate or we might not believe you.........

Keith

Well, I er, don't really remember much actually, it was almost 30 years ago but I had to get to the bottom of it, if memory serves and I had to dive down to do it.

There was quite a bit of foliage but once through that the rest was relatively easy - fortunately the pole was just the right length.

It was a real effort - I hadn't done anything physical like that since I played for the Old Whitgiftians, but it was worth it in the end to see it all gushing properly.

Back