This is Simply Awful..

We are also getting this story. There seems to be more than anyone is letting out at the moment IMO.

Keith

It looks as if everyone's worst fears have been realised.

Latest news:
(Caveat, Sun is a rag so approach with caution)

Prince William and Kate shocked as Aussie DJ hoax nurse kills herself | The Sun |News

This professional health carer must have been mortified as various stations around the world played the tape incessantly this week in a hilarious chortlefest (their description, not mine) and a proud woman driven to despair.

It ain't big and it ain't clever.

There has been much brouhaha about Press intrusion in the UK and the illegal and immoral methods used to get information. This 'prank' is not in that mould but there are similarities in illegally or immorally obtaining information for gain or entertainment. In the case of the gutter press and media, it's both.

I have sympathies on both sides. Those that actively seek publicity in order to gain, should not expect full legal protection and privacy, but those who are of 'celebrity' status through the inconvenience of being simply 'famous' I do not think should be hounded in this way.

This brings the subject of press freedom to the fore and a battle that is raging now as we speak. I do think the press should be self regulated and I agree with Cameron that once you start legislating press freedom, it is a very thin end of a fat wedge.

The BBC are under the cosh for careless broadcasting and I trust the Australian Radio Station concerned will likewise look inwardly for a bit of soul searching, if not legal prosecution.

I don't know, anyone have a view?

PS I would add that even if you think the British Royal Family a waste of space, it is not a relevant argument in this case.

From the news this morn, this poor women only took the call and reconnected it to the appropriate ward, it wasn't her who was fooled into disclosing what ever, and I for the life of me cant think of why that would make any poor soul do what she did, hopefully the reason that drove this lady to do what she did will come to the fore eventualy.
I still don't condone what those radio dick heads did though.
john

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
It's simply another result of what I've stated in other strings. The world no longer considers the act of consideration noble. The golden ring is what can be gained through other's expense. In this case, it was quite an expense. Even before this latest news, the character of the British royal family, and those in the immediate proximity (hospital personnel), are bound through both personal and national dignity. I could only guess the humiliation she felt just on your shores without any consideration of the ridicule elsewhere. Another example of people who's aim is to belittle others. Truly sad for what we call and "enlightened" species.

Keith

From the news this morn, this poor women only took the call and reconnected it to the appropriate ward, it wasn't her who was fooled into disclosing what ever, and I for the life of me cant think of why that would make any poor soul do what she did, hopefully the reason that drove this lady to do what she did will come to the fore eventualy.
I still don't condone what those radio dick heads did though.
john

I think the answer to that might lie in the nature of her dedication and pride in her work. The owner of the Radio Station in question, calls the practice of crank calls a "craft" and defends it by saying that "it has been a well established practice for decades."

Apparently they are inferring that they have removed the program out of respect, but in actuality, quite a few major advertisers have pulled their business so it's possibly damage limitation.

Schadenfreude is a modern pandemic that permeates every facet of life from X Factor, that awful dancing program and Big Brother. I hate the concept with a passion - the ritual humiliation of others for sport or entertainment is in my view dehumanising and not far removed from public floggings or executions.

Terry, well said mate..

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I totally agree Keith, but I doubt you could legislate to stop this sort of prank.
As Cameron said the thin edge of a very fat wedge.
The women had been told that her job was secure and she had the full support of the hospital. Also the Royals had not complained. And as previously stated she just put the call through to the nurse who divulged the detail,so she wasn't even the main player.
Methinks other factors were involved and this was the final straw.
However a total tragedy bought on by senseless and thoughtless people with no respect for others. A great shame.

This is very sad. She may have only put the call through, Pete and someone else gave out the info, but I would suspect that she, none the less felt ultimately responsible. Perhaps this 'thin edge' was the final straw for her? How terribly sad for those she leaves behind.

Legislation though, against pranks? Not sure I could accept that and would fear where the end of that road leads? We British are supposed to be able to laugh at each other and at each other's short-comings. I guess that that built-in trait is no longer so prevelent in one and all?

Keith

I am not sure but it seems that this lady's origins were outside of the UK. That being so, many people dedicated to the NHS from other societies are fiercely proud of their work and especially if it involves British Royalty etc.

I have no idea of her roots, but I would think that pure shame would have played a part in this, more so seeing that it rapidly became Word News.

I am not sure I would have been too delighted either.

And the Sun bitching and moaning.

This from the group of buzzards that had a hand in killing Lady Di.

Maybe it is about time the press got it back into their heads that they are there to Report the news NOT make it.

Back