Lufthansa A 321 incident

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I was scanning various aeroplane incidents and saw this one this one this morning as well.
It has happened quite a few times - more on Airbus than any other. Each Air Data (box?] unit is fed by it's own pitot(airspeed) and alpha (incidence?) sensor and there are usually three units on board all flying with the Normal Flt Laws. If one fails then the Alternate Flt Law system kicks in though it takes a wise pilot to know which of the three units is at fault.
I guess that's why they get paid vast sums and live in mansions.........

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
What is known so far of the GERMANWINGS accident is strange, the aircraft descended at a rate of 4000 FPM per ATC and then crashed. Was this a CFIT incident? The black boxes from this event will be very interesting!

After having climbed up to 38000 ft the plane remained on its cruising altitude only for one minute before going into a descent for another 8 mins. until it crashed. The descent was in a straight line and from what is known until now, no distress call had been sent.

From various news sources:

Currently a number of Lufthansa and Germanwings aircrews in Düsseldorf and Stuttgart refuse to board their Airbus aircrafts.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Big plane and quite heavy... Flat spin? Near vertical descent, 4,000 FPM would maybe be a slow rate of descent for a bird that large in that attitude..
David is right of course... It is all purely speculation...

God rest their souls...

Edit -- I took descent in a straight line to be vertical.. Most likely not the case...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone else wonder about the recent increase in "strange" airplane losses?

I know that the black boxes can help pinpoint the cause of the crash, but recently there was that flight that was lost off the coast of Australia (can't remember the number right now, but the airplane has not been located and there has never been any debris field located despite a LONG-term search), then the one that crashed into the ocean very quickly after takeoff from the same area near "Indonesia", now this one without any sort of distress call.

The debris field I saw on TV was incredible...not much left that was larger than a breadbox. While they found the black box it may be damaged beyond the point at which the data will be recoverable.

Strange things have happened in aviation for long periods of time...take the Bermuda Triangle, for example (although I have heard recently that the incidence of "strange disappearances" in the Bermuda Triangle has been determined to be no higher than normal). Then there are the reports by pilots of sightings of unidentifiable airborne "objects"...lots of them.

Strange....:stunned:

God rest the souls of all those lost in this terrible incident.

Doug

You would be amazed at how little of the FDR/CVR is needed to retrieve data. Our vendor for our AC said that it the chip was burnt and snapped in half they could still retrieve data from it. I can not find one of our pilots willing to test the claim as of yet.

Flight Control Laws - SKYbrary Aviation

As an example, the A320 has a total of seven flight control computers - two ELACs (Elevator Aileron Computer), three SECs (Spoilers Elevator Computer) and two FACs ... The flight controls on Airbus fly-by-wire aircraft are all electronically controlled and hydraulically activated.

Wonder who designed this system...

Soon, all the info recorded on the DFDR will be broadcast by ADSB-out.

In Laymen's terms this will mean live flight data transmitted via satcom to the Internet for recording by airlines, local aviation authorities etc.

No more searching for the Orange DFDR or "Black Box"

"If it's not Boeing, I'm not going"

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
"If it's not Boeing, I'm not going"

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Although I do make rare exceptions for MD...

And I am being quite honest.. I've done a two day road trip to avoid a ride on a Scare Bus... Actually it was a toss up between the TSA nonsense and the aircraft...

Howard Jones

Supporter
Looks like a pilot suicide. German military sources reporting one pilot locked out of cockpit frantically trying to get back in on voice recorder before crash.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The cockpit cabin is not air-tight to my knowledge Keith... If it was a case of the PIC being incapacitated due to hypoxia, the same would probably hold true for the pilot banging on the door to that cabin..

Obviously it's only discussion driven by speculation at this point... It's what happens in forums..

Back