Lufthansa A 321 incident

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
But it was a slam dunk on the Airbus itself being responsible was it not?

Of course not... And you are right in that it was poor form on my part to have helped convey that message.
I am biased against Airbus, but that should be another thread..

Howard Jones

Supporter
The fact that the plane was at "cruising altitude" and then descended into a mountain is the key to my "figuring it all out". Added to that, one of the pilots was out of the cockpit when this happened.

At "cruising altitude I bet 99% of the time planes are on autopilot. The only other pilot in the cockpit took manual control of the plane at the same time that he was alone in the cockpit and refused to let the other pilot back in. I'm not Einstein but given these points how could I not have "figured it out".

Airbus verses Boeing. Hell even I known enough to invest in Boeing not Airbus, but this is appearing to be a procedure issue. US carriers are prohibited from leaving the cockpit occupied with only one person. If a pilot leaves the cockpit he is replaced with a relief pilot or a crewmember until he returns. I bet they change that really quickly "across the pond".

I guess I understand killing yourself, but how sick/selfish do you have to be to take another 149 people with you?

Sick is probably right, it was a premeditated crime by someone with a twisted mind who got to murder 150 innocent people in one hit. It makes some of the other mass murderers look like pussy cats. It may be time to add regular psychiatric assessment of cabin crew to the pre flight check list.

Bob

Just had a senior moment :laugh:. I forgot to add that I was listening to a radio phone in earlier in the day and a lady that worked for one of the airlines said she could not understand how the guy could have been in there on his own, the company she flew with had strict policy in place that meant two flight crew had to be at the controls at all times, if a pilot needed a break someone else took over. At no time was there supposed be a lone pilot at the controls.

Bob

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
It may be time to add regular psychiatric assessment of cabin crew to the pre flight check list.
Bob

Unfortunately, if you've never seen a psychiatric evaluation you would be incredibly surprised at the nature of the ones I see...scribbled in unreadable doctor-write on a one page form, couldn't take more than 15 minutes to complete the exam. Psychiatrists are all about medication, not mental health improvement or current condition. Most of the time they are faced with a suicidal patient or a homicidal patient, so quick action needs to be taken. In those cases there is no time for an in-depth psychological workup, it's what can I prescribe for this person that will get them past this acute episode and that's that. Best bet would be a full-on psychological evaluation. A psychologist is much more interested in the mind-set of the individual.

I agree whole-heartedly...a psychological evaluation of EVERYONE who is going to be in and out of that cockpit (including the stewards/stewardesses who occasionally deliver refreshments to the cabin) should be SOP...but even that's not a fail-safe....many ostensibly normal people have turned out to be quite the psychopaths (although the opposite, not so much).

Surprising...right? I would have thought the psychiatric evals would be very extensive...not so.

Cheers!

Doug

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The CVR has several inputs, such as every headset and hand mike, all the radio transceivers, and and area mike usually located over head on the centre panel between the pilots.

The best answer is to take the human off the flight deck.

Is doing so a generational thing? You bet.

Will it be safer? You bet.

The tech exists right now.

Fed Ex & UPS are spending millions to make one of their biggest operating costs go away, and sooner than you think!

First autonomous news, police and cargo aircraft.

Then when folks can finally get their minds around getting the almighty pilot out of the left seat, passenger aircraft of all types.

Don't laugh, it's coming.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
One way or the other, sadly, you will.

Self driving cars, self flying aircraft. Boats, too, I suppose.

Whatever.

I hope the sick little fuck spends eternity in hell. If he wanted to kill himself, fine, but to take all those people along with him? Murderous little dickwipe.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I don't think the German Newspaper has actually said this to be the case and it's only speculation - so far. If it is however , then I think the backlash against muslim enclaves in Germany will be astoudingly severe. There are so many unanswered questions about this maniac that every other airline will have to apply the questions as a test to see how many possible sleepers they have in their workforces. There have been so many pilots brought in to the major carriers( carriers who have turned down extremely good candidates in order to be Politically Correct) and employ the required amount of other- barely professionally able -other ethnics. As an employer in Jersey, I came under pressure to employ Channel Islanders (some of whom were not really up to scratch as opposed to other pilots with superior skills over the Islanders, so much so as they (the Islanders) reported me to the Ports, Harbours , and Airport Committee (a bit like the UKCAA) for not doing the PC thing by employing them. In fact I sacked a few of them as useless.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I see now that they (Lufthansa) have ruled that now there must be two pilots in the cockpit at all times - similar to the ruling for all US airlines.. Will this be across the board world wide? You'd hope so....

I don't think the German Newspaper has actually said this to be the case and it's only speculation - so far. If it is however , then I think the backlash against muslim enclaves in Germany will be astoudingly severe. There are so many unanswered questions about this maniac that every other airline will have to apply the questions as a test to see how many possible sleepers they have in their workforces. There have been so many pilots brought in to the major carriers( carriers who have turned down extremely good candidates in order to be Politically Correct) and employ the required amount of other- barely professionally able -other ethnics. As an employer in Jersey, I came under pressure to employ Channel Islanders (some of whom were not really up to scratch as opposed to other pilots with superior skills over the Islanders, so much so as they (the Islanders) reported me to the Ports, Harbours , and Airport Committee (a bit like the UKCAA) for not doing the PC thing by employing them. In fact I sacked a few of them as useless.

Hmmm PC vs a risk assessment. That may throw up some hurdles in personnel departments around the world . Can we employ a muslim ?

Bob

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
As time goes by, I think the answer to that question is becoming more and more obvious.
You either fly with Jihadist Free Airways or you don't . As a passenger its your choice.
Also as a passenger you can choose not to be PC and walk away without be cited as a racist.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Randy - the use of a Thetford type cassette toilet inside the flight deck would also work without carrying extra crew. The FD has remarkable air conditioning for smoke evacuation.
If you have a female pilot then a simple modesty curtain on velchro attachment would work.

Back