Lufthansa A 321 incident

I always got a laugh during a flight physical when asked, do you drink to much, or have you ever thought of suicide, or harming yourself? Who would tell the truth?
Wonder why the girlfriend didn't speak up to Germanwings about her concerns. The co-pilot certainly had a dark side. I think my close friends would have suspected a change and have talked with me.

Pat

Supporter
I'd wonder if the girlfriend was a member of his flight crew after his suicidal revelations. I just wish the media wold devote more time to the victims and not the co-pilot. I worry that all the hype might fuel some other psycho to "do something" to make people remember him.

Mike Pass

Supporter
I am wondering if the co-pilot was affected by aerotoxic syndrome. Many people have had health issues and there have been deaths from organophosphate poisoning from cabin air being contaminated by faulty seals in the engines. Many people will be unaware that the air to pressurise the cabin is very often taken from the compressor section of the engines. If the seals are faulty then the engine oil can be burnt and the fumes enter the cabin air. Organophosphates and metals such as nickel have been found in the tissues of aircrew. I have several friends who have MS like symptoms due to this issue. The effects of organophosphate poisoning are commonly nerve damage and it can also cause an effect very similar to someone with bipolar condition and depression. If the body can be recovered the tissues should be tested for these contaminants.
Cheers
Mike

That's a good point Mike, it's bad juju!

Jet engine shaft seal leaks into the bleed air system are a problem. And more common than John Q. Public would think. Especially as in most airliners, cabin pressurization bleed air is recycled to save on fuel consumption. Plus, commercial aircraft do not generate a profit on the ground. So, airlines will run "issues" like this until it gets to be a dispatch problem.

That oil is the "smell" of turbo machinery you get when boarding an aircraft.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
and human skin particles on the Pack filters.
You will never see it as a Passenger but when the jet is on major
the filters are almost clogged.

Keith

Spare a thought for the interior ambiance of the average high cap night-club (2000 + cap). Tar and human skin were the bugbear of both loudspeaker systems and mechanisms in intelligent lighting fixtures..

Keith

Indeed Howard, I believe that is a good thing, for now. However, I am quite sure it will surface again sometime very soon. Makes you think about the agenda of those that created that fiction to start with..

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Would it be possible to program flight nav systems so this couldn't be done by a pilot? Could the nav systems be programmed to override this kind of instruction?

Don't cut my head off- I know we have a lot of pilots here, but I am not one of them and I don't know about airplane nav systems. But I know they are working on pilotless airliners and it made me wonder.

Would it be possible to program flight nav systems so this couldn't be done by a pilot? Could the nav systems be programmed to override this kind of instruction?

Don't cut my head off- I know we have a lot of pilots here, but I am not one of them and I don't know about airplane nav systems. But I know they are working on pilotless airliners and it made me wonder.

The simple answer is yes and no!

It depends on exactly what you mean.

Are you asking for an emergency "backup" system controlled by a human on the ground somewhere if the crew goes nuts?

Or, are you asking for a pre programmed "alternative" flight plan autonomously flown by the autopilot in case of high jacking etc?

The second case would require "CAT III" or "Auto landing" capabilities at the destination or alternate airfield runway.

David would be more informed, but AFAIK CAT III is not widely installed on most aircraft, nor do many runways have the built in capability in their respective approach systems.

The first scenario is possible on some of the latest Boeings. IIRC, the 777 had an "Airworthiness Directive" issued against it due to the fly by wire flight controls being able to be hacked via the cabin WiFi. Also, it used to be the fwd electronics bay under the cabin floor was accessed by an unsecured door on the fwd galley floor. This is used by mechanics to utilize a laptop to run the flight controls for ground maintenance tests.

I have some flight experience including Airbus.
A Program can go wrong just as a man can.

90% of passengers would not board an aircraft if there was no one on the flight deck.
The least you would need is a man & a large dog; the man to reassure passengers & the dog to make sure the man touches nothing!

But my real thoughts are with the Passengers & their Families.
RIP.
David.

Back