Robin Batt racing at Snetterton

Robin has entered a race at Snetterton in August (Bank Holiday weekend) making two GTDS on the Grid. It will be interesting to see how the old "yellow peril" goes. Frank

MWGT40

Supporter
Frank,

When is it - I would love to see the yellow peril in action (hopefully sounding glorious on its straight pipes)?

Martin

It will not be able to run on straight pipes as it will be db tested. Mine only just scrapes through and was very borderline at the last race there.
Graham @ GTA.

Hi Graham

Hope you don't mind me asking but reference the sound level issue I have a couple of questions that perhaps you could enlighten me on.

What is the dB limit for the circuit racing in which you compete? and at what revs do you normally test at (three quarter max?). Also what sort of exhaust system do you have? is it a GTD crossover or another design?

Hope all is going well with your 40 and looking forward to seing the 917.

Paul,
It is not just the series that i run in but all races at certain circuits and on certain days that DB testing will take place and be strictly adhered to. Too loud and there is no practice or race.
At Croft last weekend i was tested twice and only just(ran to 2500 revs only on static test at end of pit straight because i know i,m loud) scraped through at 107 DB. Donnington and Snetterton are the same and i have seen people turned away unless they reduce noise level. Normally they tell you to run up to 3/4 max but i dare not.
I do not use a GTD crossover system.
The 917 has been TOTALLY stripped and is being rebuilt as we speak and i hope to have it sprayed up by September. I intend to write a very full article for the magazine at the end of this season so that it will encompass the 40s activities as well as the 917.
Regards,
Graham.

Hi Graham
thanks for the update and details, esp the 917 info - I look forward to the article and possibly seing you late August (not forgetting the club track day of course...)

Frank and all,
I,m not entered for this race as this was a meeting organised by another club and there were date mix-ups between the 24th/25th and 31stAugust and by the time us SR@ GT members recieved our forms i already had other commitments to mechanic for another competitor and help in post race scrutineering as the series co-ordinator cannot be there this weekend.Robin, i think heard early about this meeting via the Jaguar Club and i don,t think has driven in our series before.Good luck to him for this baptism of fire.
Graham @GTA Racing.

Hi Frank -
Unfortunately I won't be able to make the visit tomorrow but pass on my regards to Robin and supporting crew.

I hope he has a great race and although his first in his 40, knowing how quick he is at Goodwood he will no doubt do well.

Post pictures when you get a chance.

Just back from the Track ! Robin achieved a very creditworthy 6th place overall in a field of 20 cars and 2nd in class. There were three outrageously powerfull full race cobras, a Lola T70 spyder and a TVR Race griffin in front of him, everything else left behind. Terrific performance by Robin and the old "yellow peril"

MWGT40

Supporter
Congratulations Robin! A great result.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
Congrats to Robin. Did anyone video the race?

On the noise testing front, my understanding of the Blue Book is that for circuit racing the general limit is 108 Db at 3/4 rpm at 1m at 45 degrees. Local conditions can reduce this level but not increase it.

Malcolm

Back