And yet another one......

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
After 12 years of trying, it drove under its own power yesterday (only for about 3 miles). And it handled like a bucket of you know what !!! Clearly needs more work on setting up etc though the engine was nice.
Dave M

Dave,

That's terrific news. Having seen your car, sometime ago now, it must be genuinely close to a finish. I hope you can make it to Le Mans next year and join the club area in the circuit.

Cheers

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dave, LM? absolutely it will be there - I'm working with Audi Joest - same location as this year so if it rains (it will !) we've got the bungalow. Frank - does that mean another 12 years ? That will make me 68 (3 yrs into bus pass and O/A pension. I'll see if I can get a picture to attach to this.
Dave M

Malcolm

Supporter
Dave

Are you able to bring it to the club AGM this coming Sunday? You will be able to pick up lots of tips on setting up.

Malcolm

Dave,

I was referring to the LM Classic which is on July 23-25th 2004, unless Audi plan to dominate that too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Check out the thread under the GT40 Enthusiasts club (sorry to swear on the GTD40 Club forum!).

If your weather predictions do stretch to next year, will it be wet that w/e as well as the contemporary LM?? Ian wants to plan when to put the sausages on the BBQ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif like this years LM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,
Sorry, thats Hockenheimring weekend. Can you ask the oganisers to sort out another 'non-clashing' weekend
in the future.
AGM - would love to come but it will be a last minute decision as I am in the middle of a workshop move.
My car is not yet MOT'd as the brakes, suspension and other 'minor' things need sorting. Going for AP brakes
all around and then, hopefully, 15" BRM with knock-offs
at the same time. Currently installing Konis (1/2 done as I write. Anybody got info on 15" tyres? I'd be grateful.
The colour is (I'm told) the 2nd edition of Bentley's British Racing Green, The chassis and outer body is GTD,
the engine is a 302 with IDA 48s, Renault gearbox, and the rest is either locally purchased or home made.
This info is in lieu of a picture, which I dont seem to be able to send in spite of a very concise set of instructions (thanks Dave)(b747.400 was easier to fly than this thing trying to sending pictures).
Dave M
GTD/302/BRG

Pictures of David Morton's GTD

Attachments

• 23014-48.JPG
    23014-48.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 310
Dave,

With ref to your setup, from the photos there seems to be quite a bit of negative camber on the front. Are the basics setup at all yet? I used a local firm who should have done a 4 wheel alignment but I later found the toe in was well out and wearing my front tyres unnecessarily. Its a good idea to validate any setup at least to a degree. I am not sure if the club still has any tools to assist.

PS you also seem to have a considerable lean to your right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,
you are correct on both counts. The right side of the car has been modified with Koni's and the left side will be done this Saturday. The camber is excessive at the moment and will be addressed on a laser unit here in Marlow when they have time on their machine. I do not have any basic set up data at the moment saving the scabby 'build manual' that GTD produced (at a gold plated price). If you have any data at all I would appreciate a copy, seeing as yours runs probably a lot better than mine at the moment. It should not be too problematical as every suspension part is rose- jointed (though it may be a bit noisy going down the road).
And thanks for putting the pictures up.
Dave

[ QUOTE ]
(edited quote) Anybody got info on 15" tyres? I'd be grateful. Dave?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi David -
Look out for the next edition of the club magazine - there is a three page spread on a certain new 15" tyre that has been proving its worth recently on a fast GTD40. (not Roys!)

Mag will be published as soon as practical after the AGM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ps - as we are hoping to make this a 'tech issue' if anyone has any hints or tips they would like included (the more the better) - Please email the copy to me at [email protected]

There is a letter in the November issue of Octane magazine from Chris Marchant of Vintage Tyre Supplies, Beaulieu Hants, saying that he stocks the Michelin TB15 range in road legal form marked with the old imperial sizes, and they equate to 215/55R15, 270/45R15 and 295/40R15.
I don't know if these are any good for 40's but Chris also makes the point that supply depends on volume and price and that if there are enough enquiries, they will assess demand and start the ball rolling with manufacturers, so it may be worth contacting him with your requirments anyway.

Hope this helps.

Hi David,

In case you may be interested, I just placed Vintage Dunlop tires on my GTD40 15' wheels.
THe garage is based in Germany but he can send them to UK like he did for me to Belgium

Herewith some info: Dunlop racing vintage
Front 5,50 M 15 X 2 = 470 Euro incl Vat
Rear 6,00 M 15 X 2 = 500 Euro incl Vat

+ transport charges

If interetsed you may contact Mr Derichs at + 492651 46 08

Fred

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Paul, Chris, and Fred,
Thank you for taking the time to reply about 15" tyres.I'll follow it up this coming week. For every body at the AGM/Barbeque today I regret I could not make it and meet
everybody. I will try harder next year - believe me.
It seems the weather was kind to you today - at least here in Marlow we had unbroken sunshine all day though a trifle cold.
Regards
Dave M

Hello Dave, the car looks great and we were all looking forward to seeing it yesterday, shame you couldn't make it but there is always next year. I took a copy of the article on new 15" tyres with me for you, if you e-mail me your address I'll pop it in the post.
Regards
Andrew

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for that.
Home address 3, Bovingdon Heights, Marlow, Bucks . SL7 2JR.
Dave M
ps My wife, Vivien, is in one of the pictures above and she has asked me to point out that we are not in the habit of dressing in similar colour clothing and it was a coincidence on this occasion. Now I must take this thong off - it's killing me !!

Back