Another CAV on eBay

Ian Clark

Supporter
Ok, I'LL ENDORSE IT! That's a roaring bargain! Too bad I can't import completed vehicles to Canada or it'd be in the truck right now. Any buyers out there, get a move on:)

Ian

I guess it's only when we know what the reserve is that we'll know if it's a roaring bargain (or not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

Rob

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm guessing not.

I like the cars, but I see too many speciality companies buying CAVs (or any GT40) and then trying to move them at auctions more higher than what you can buy one for from CAV. Captive audience that in many cases has more money than sense. But, buyer beware.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Mike, you had me going there for a minute, seller in Canada. The car is in New York and cannot be imported to the land of snow. Guess I got a bit too excited, lets see what it sells for, at 33,000 it would be a roaring bargain.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Seems to me to be a bit of false advertising. The cars sell for over $110,000 new. What country? Car is also the spaceframe car as it was built in 2000. Good luck to anyone bidding.

[ QUOTE ]
... at 33,000 it would be a roaring bargain.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, since it has not hit it's reserve; I have the following questions:
What would it cost to duplicate this item?
What reserve price is "MARKET VALUE"?

Very to the point Neil! I would quess you would be hard pressed to duplicate for less than $60,000 and that would take some luck.

FWIW, this car has been for sale on and off for about a year--that's my impression. I remember seeing it in Hemmings at least six months ago, for 79K, as I recall. He's posted over at clubcobra as well. He acts as if he has no idea what the car is really worth (see clubcobra posts). I agree with Ron.

TT

Ron Earp

Admin
I posted over on CC I think it should be in the 60-65k range. Unknown bits, you can look at the pics and see things that need fixing, etc. That motor looks to be a yard dog with a carb on top, nothing more. I feel that someone is trying to take advantage of the market and will probably succeed as people are not knowledgeable about the cars.

But for a car in this range I am sure with some work and a few bucks it could be very nice.

R

Ron,

I'm not as generous as you. You could do a brand new CAV car today with this sort of drivetrain for 70K, maybe less. I see this as a 55K car, tops.

TT

Ron Earp

Admin
Probably a better estimate. You figure $64000 for a roller with AC, leather, pin drives, $6000 for motor and tranny, and you can have a better car for $70k. You are right.

R

i am the ownr of that cav on ebay.i took it on trade on aferrari race car 348 challenge.the engine bay is as new.it needs nothing. people,do not go around bad-mouthing this car,i will not tolerate this. the car is mint with 400 miles. the engine picture show a metal plate below that has rust,i agree.(the plate is the garage water drain metal plate that covers the sewer.) simply a bad engine picture.the owner was always asking 79000$ for the last year,just like tom popadopoulos that has 2 for sale at 79000$ as well.
my car is much ,much cheaper at this point,way below 60 000$.
i will sell it.
there are no stories with this car.it is a 1 owner car that was sold to a vintage car dealer that is worldwide respected.i sold my race car to that dealer and took it on trade.i am a dealer as well. www.exoticaronline.com
i carry 30 exotics in stock.
that car is importable to canada . title is 1965. anything over 15 years old make it into the country in canada.title is king,not the car....we all know year 2000 is built but title says 1965 so it can come in as a 65'. i can make a deal with any canadian and bring the car here....should not be a problem...

Ron Earp

Admin
Stevemaman,

No one is bad mouthing your car here. The people on this board know GT40s - you have admitted openly that you do not and asked for help. Now, if the information you receive is not what you want to hear, well so be it but that doesn't mean it is bad mouthing.

I stand by my statement, for that car to sell for $75k or $79k USD is taking advantage of the market in the sense that the price is too high and people that are not aware of the true value of the cars will be in a poor position.

GT40s take a long time to get sorted - ask any owner. So for you to say it "needs nothing" is a little of a stretch from the uninformed. I'm sure you'll sell the car sooner or later and I wish you luck in doing so. I think the prices listed by various people here and elsewhere have been valid and would be reasonable for the car. At that cost it could be upgraded to the webers, FI, etc. that most people want and be a nice machine. Sorry if I've offened you, that was not my intention and maybe I should make it a little less personal about "taking advantage of the market" when what I need to say is it might be priced too high.

It is just that on this board we've seen cars sell for way more than they are worth due to people not being well-informed. A good example is the Scottsdale Auction where a CAV went for something like $118k with some fairly standard bits. In fact, I'm having a hard time figuring out what you could put into a GT40 replica to make it worth that much - a ZF, full weber/race motor wouldn't do it.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
This was over on Club Cobra, another CAV:

I have the first design C.A.V. GT-40. It has a new Ford SVO 302 engine. Pushing 345 HP. Carb is a Demon. Jacobs electronics.
Audi trans axle. Built in South Africa as a roller. I have $ 75,000 or more in it. Car has about 2000 miles on it.
Needs an A/C line redone. It appears their is a leak.
Not designed for the 6' or taller guys. I have photos. I think I can with a little help, e-mail them to serious inquires.
First $60,000 takes it.

Seems my estimate were high.

R

Ron, I'm with you all the way on this one. If someone comes to this site or clubcobra and asks what his car is worth, he'll get answers. Don't want answers, don't ask questions. Simple. As you noted, the people on this site (and clubcobra) are very well-informed. The fact that this particular car hasn't sold for quite awhile is a clear indication of just how overpriced it has been. Now, if as the seller says, it's now way below 60K, well, then it should sell, I would think.

TT

sorry for the post ,all i wanted to say is that the engine bay is fine.someone stated it looked like garbage but did not say what....it looks like any 400 miles cav.as far as value goes,i am totally nullified in front of all of you.i do not know the market,therefore i listen to the pros.if you need info on a ferrari,i am here and know my thing! cav/gt-40,i am a novice.all i can say is the car's condition that at the present moment,it needs nothing.all works fine,no damage.....it may in the futur but at the present time,it doesnt.
for the sales price,the 50's will buy my car.i hope it will do high 50's to low 60's which i think is true selling price for a 400 miles car but will take less.....in order to move the car...
no one has said anything wrong here,we are all at peace but i simply disliked the statement that the engine is from a " backyard....junkyard" whatever the guy stated.it is a new looking engine 302 with 325-335 hp or something like that with a getrag tranny.it shows like a 400 miles. that was my reply,value -wise,i am here to learn!!
at the end of the day, it is the cheapest price,perfect condition,lowest car available for that price. am i right????

[ QUOTE ]
..it looks like any 400 miles cav..at the present moment,it needs nothing.all works fine,no damage..

[/ QUOTE ]

I was looking over your pictures since it became a topic discussion. The engine does look very clean.

In one engine picture, the tires look like race slicks. What kind of tires are on this car (are they DOT acceptable / streetable)??

What size driver should avoid this car??

Back