SpiralMax - easy power for a few $$'s

Re: SpiralMax - easy power for a few $$\'s

Puhleeeze! This is the same piece of junk as the "Tornado," right? And it is said to improve horsepower by placing a restriction in front of you intake manifold? Here's the deal - if you restrict the intake or exhaust on an engine you will lose peak HP. Period. Spiral shmiral...this is for those whom P.T Barnum described as being born at the rate of one per minute.

Caveat emptor.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Sorry, I think it's another Fish carburetor...or platimun intake catalyst, etc etc. I agree with Mark. It's a scam. What NONE of the testimonials show is a BLINDED comparison of with-and-without, which is the only meaningful one. Or an engine dyno trial, which is operator independent.

Agreed it does sound a bit too good to be true. But you never know!

I think I'll leave it and fit the "Timedisplacement" module instead! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

J.P

Ron Earp

Admin

No, one does know.

Look at it this way.

If this thing worked don't you think manufactuers, not to mention race teams, would be all over it? 10-15 hp for nothing? Of course!

Sort of like the cheap magnet thing you attach on your fuel lines that "polarizes" your fuel and increases mileage 10-20%. Now, if this thing worked I think the Ph.D.s at Ford, GM, whatever would be suggesting these things be put on everything they make to raise CAFE. But, it doesn't work. Anyhow, how does one polarize fuel with long-chain hydrocarbons having no polar moment? And why would it make more power when it burned? Go figure.

Howard Jones

Supporter

Ron has hit right on the head again. The one thing that has hit me as one of the real and only truths is this. If you don't see it, whatever "it" is, on a WINNING race car then "it" does not work period.

This also just happens to be the basis of Darwin's book, the origin of species. Auto racing is just about the best example of survival of the fittest I can think of.

There is a ad for something in hot mustangs and fast fords that will turbocharge any car for $60, comeon... The only performance increase that this type of stuff will give you is the weight saving you get when you take it off the car and pitch it in the garbage can. Save your money and buy better tires or some good brake pads.

Sorry if I burst anybodys bubble.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

There's always one of these "get-something-for-nothing" gadgets around. None of them ever stand up to objective scrutiny, at least in my experience. Their existence does say two depressing things about people- some are corrupt enough to market this garbage, and some are naive enough to buy it. What a shame....

[ QUOTE ]
So I guess those K&N filters make no differences either. More smoke and mirrors.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, unlike the Spiral Max, a K&N filter will normally remove a restriction to the inlet air flow, therefore it will increase horsepower. As for magnets somehow improving both economy and horsepower, I have my doubts since the molecules that comprise gasoline do not have ionic bonds and are not polar I don't see how they would be affected by a magnetic field, or how an improvement would result if they did. But as long as they're not clogging up the intake or the exhaust I can't see how they would hurt either, unlike the Spiral Max.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Funny you should mention magnets, we have had this thing going in the marine literature for years on whether magnet packages in the fuel lines can prevent algae growth in diesel fuel. I am afraid I still don't believe any of it. And I don't believe in the SpiralMax either, although I wish that I could. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

My car runs more smoothly and echonomically when I wash it. If you want a chance to experience this same feeling, please leave your name and address on this post and $50 in a brown paper bag behind the bushes in your front garden and I promise that your car's performance will improve by the same amount. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If only Detroit would spend $1 per car on magnets they could compete with the imports! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin

Gheesh, and I haven't written anything yet. And, I think you know from my previous responses I never ridicule and rarely joke, just post facts. People may have a different point of view, insight, or understanding about the matter that you don't. This by definition will be different from your thought but certainly doesn't make them wrong or not worth hearing. I'll save the response as it is lengthy and as you mentioned, you're not interested.

Back