Alluminium Paneling.

Should get my Tornado kit in a week or so and will start paneling it out. I'm having all of the panels pre-cut ready to go on but they will need some final trimming for perfect fit. Just after ideas on the best tools to use (Tinsnips/jigsaw/power flie) Also I need to cut some large holes and was thinking of buying a hole saw kit and then thought my jigsaw would do. Any thoughts ????

Hi Paul,

Congratulations on the purchase! Personally I use the following tools for ally pannelling;

A hole punch as opposed to a drill for the rivet holes (4mm?) the punch leaves a quick, clean hole with no de-burring necessary. Sealey do a relatively cheap one.

For making larger holes, ie over 1/2 inch, I use 'tank cutters'. Frosts do a nice set. You simply drill a small center hole & fit the cutter, which you then tighten with an allen key & it cuts a really nice neat hole with no burrs. Regular drill mounted hole saws are rubbish and noisy compared to tank cutters.

A good set of avaition shears will save your knuckles!

Before you rivet the panels, it may be worth seating them on a bead of silicone or Sikaflex.

Careful use of a jigsaw with the right blades will give good results.

Hope this helps & happy building!

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Ahh, the sheet metal.

If this is the only project your ever going to do investing in hole saws or chassis punches may not be cost efficient. You can cut nice holes with a jigsaw but it's more time consuming and limited to the minimum radius the blade is capable of, sheet thickness is a factor here. If you want a really neat hole, rough cut with a jig saw and finish to the line with a hand file. It's tough to get a perfect round hole with just a jig saw cut. Practice on scrap first before butchering that expensive panel.

Hole saws are cheaper and more versatile than chassis punches but leave a rougher edge that has to be finished, but are a lot faster than a jig saw. They sometimes wobble a bit and consequently cut the hole bigger than the actual measured size. Always practice on a piece of scrap before making that first cut if you haven't used them before.

Jig saws should be duct taped on the bottom plate to keep from scratching the aluminum, and it scratches easily. You can also duct tape clamp contact pads. I've even taped the edge of the metal bench to keep from scratching when dragging sheet across it.

If your jig sawing to an inside corner always drill a hole first right at the corner and then carefully saw to the hole. Sawing all the way to the corner can leave a notch that's hard to finish out and leaves a stress riser which causes cracks. Thin sheet should have at least a 1/16" inch (1.5 mm) radius on inside corners, so minimum 1/8" drill, and 1/4" is better.

It's not absolutely necessary for a minimum amount of cuts but you can lube the cut line with cutting oil. For a lot of cuts it makes your blades last a lot longer, keeps the teeth from clogging, and cuts smoother, although it is messy. Look for a clear cutting oil, anything else hides the marked cut line. For thicker aluminum plate in the hardened alloys cutting oil is almost mandatory. WD-40 and 3in1 are NOT cutting oil, although they will work in a pinch.

Always mark lines with a marker, not a metal scriber. Scriber's scratch the surface and cause stress risers which can eventually start a crack. You may be cutting on the scribe line but if you go a little past your cut with the scribe mark, or miss the line a little when you cut, you'll leave a scratch.

The only felt tip marker I've found that works best for metal is the Sharpie by Sanford, but it does get blunt pretty quickly unless your careful. You'd be surprised how many markers don't work well on metal.

Always measure twice and cut once, or measure 3 times and cut once depending on your cognitive capacity, how much sleep you got the night before, and the cost of the part. Sometimes I'll make notes on the metal with the marker, like, inside, outside, driver side, passenger side, in case orientation is a factor. You marked your hole in exactly the right place, but is the piece upside down in the first place?

Don't stress out when the aluminum gets scratched because it will get scratched. If it's being covered or hidden then no worries. But if it's exposed you can sand and polish out scratches but be aware of clear coating as some aluminum sheet comes with a very thin corrosion resistant coating as some alloys are more susceptible to corrosion. If it's in a high wear/scratch area you can sand a swirl pattern to hide scratches or just live with potential scratches.

And then we could talk about bending forming and welding, but that's another story.

Books on the subject.

Tune to win
Prepare to win
Engineer to win

all by Carroll Smith

I WOULD NOT try to build a GT40 without these three.

You could also add

Metal Fabricators Handbook by Ron Fournier

and

Nuts Bolts Fasteners and Plumbing also by Smith

Chris Duncan

Supporter
"Why is it you guys in Seattle are so good at working with sheet aluminum?"

don't know really, mostly experience I think, and reading on the subject.

need to make some corrections to my post, was re-reading one of the "to win" books.

It's not a "clear" coating for corrosion resistance. It's a thin layer of pure un-alloyed aluminum, but it is thick enough to take a good polishing. It's usually called "Alclad" and is about 5 percent of sheet thickness on both sides.

Purchase of the books may not be absolutely necessary if your doing a kit with everything supplied including good instructions. That statement is based more on someone who's making at least some of the parts from scratch, or is modifiying things.

Back