Various Minor Gremlins

Pat

Supporter
Hello all,

I've acquired a mono CAV and I'm working out some minor problems. Any and all information from others that may have experienced the same issues would be most helpful. Here is what I'm working on:
1. The tach indicator drops several hundred rpm when I put on the the lights or other accessories.
2. There is a heavy smell of exhaust at all times in the car, even with the A/C in operation.
3. The A/C blows "balmy" not cold - I figure that one is a freon issue.
4. The rear deck needs heat shielding. Does anyone know where I can get a large section of something self-adhesive and durable. I can only find 12"x 12"

Again thanks,
Veek

[ QUOTE ]
Hello all,

I've acquired a mono CAV and I'm working out some minor problems. Any and all information from others that may have experienced the same issues would be most helpful. Here is what I'm working on:
1. The tach indicator drops several hundred rpm when I put on the the lights or other accessories.

2. There is a heavy smell of exhaust at all times in the car, even with the A/C in operation.

[/ QUOTE ]
haven't seen this one??
[ QUOTE ]

3. The A/C blows "balmy" not cold - I figure that one is a freon issue.

[/ QUOTE ]
Should be freon level, but you could have a leak. Top it off to the appropriate pressure and see how it holds. Do leak check if it drops over time.
[ QUOTE ]

4. The rear deck needs heat shielding. Does anyone know where I can get a large section of something self-adhesive and durable. I can only find 12"x 12"

[/ QUOTE ]
I recommend the Thermo-tec heat shield (www.thermotec.com, #14001). I do not recommend their spray adhesive. I do recommend using RTV applied by a cauking gun. RTV is rated at 600 deg F and sticks very well to both parts. Have put a couple hundred track miles with no problems.

Ron Earp

Admin
I would not drive this car with a heavy smell of exhaust. CO (carbon monoxide) is quite dangerous and has no odor. If you have an odor you can be sure you're getting an unhealthy dose of CO. This car needs sorting for sure, I'd call that more than a minor problem, it is potentially life threatening.

As for the tach it might be it needs a voltage regular somewhere in that circuit depending on the gauge type.

Pat

Supporter
Thanks to all for the suggestions and e-mails. I'm in the process of sealing up the firewall and dealing with the exhaust. I've also got an order in on the shielding. The suggestions have been great. If there is interest, I'll report on what works and what doesn't.

Again thanks,
Veek.

Back