Watkins Glen

Ron McCall

Supporter
Did anyone go to Watkins Glen this past weekend? A friend did and he sent me some awesome pictures!

Attachments

• 60011-WatkinsGlenGT-40071(2).jpg
    60011-WatkinsGlenGT-40071(2).jpg
    181 KB · Views: 390
Hey Pantera, I'm new here and that's a picture of my car at Watkins Glen! Chassis #P/1043, Gurney/Westlake heads. I ran it there and did a little fiberglass damage to the front. It was repaired and the car was on a truck to California speedway a week later for SAAC-30. I placed 2nd overall there (behind a killer ford powered Mclaren CanAm car!). If you'd like more pix of 1043 let me know. I have a website with them.

Attachments

• 61242-gt40watglen2.jpg
    61242-gt40watglen2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 378

Ron Earp

Admin
Very nice! I notice there is a J car there, I've not seen on recently being on a track at any events, that is pretty cool. Are there times for the various cars, that would be interesting to compare.

Ron

I just met the builder of that J car at Elkhart Lake Brian Redman Challenge this last week. I spent a bit of time talking to him and taking pitures that I will post. The car is built out of parts and is not "original" although he said Phil Remington asked him what chassis number is was after eyeing it. Remington even signed the chassis. It was built to blueprints and photos and is using the correct build technology I was told (i.e. sheet metal/foam sandwich). It had the T44 and the engine was built to LeMans spec he said. I got to look through his build book and was impressed by the level of detail. The driver is Bill Peters out of Wisco I think.

Good fun! He was chewed up on the track by the Lolas and others running with him though...

Mike

Yup that's good old J1. Found it in a barn. As for getting chewed up by Can Am cars, well, giving away 800 lbs. and 300HP there's not much chance of it going the other way. I did finish 14th out of 30 and in front of 2 M8F's.
Bill Peter

Hi Bill.

Sorry - I guess "chewed" was a bad choice. I will say that seeing your car made my trip. I had a great time talking with Bob ("Otto"?) about it. When I first met him I asked him the chassis number and he replied "what would you say if I told you it was J1?". Having just met him and not knowing much of the history I was guarded. He proceeded to fill me with so much info on the car that I was spinning. In fact, I was spinning so much that I forgot to try the Brats at St John the Baptist booth right across from you. That was supposed to be the second treat of the trip. Oh well, maybe some other time.

I was at the hill after turn five and saw you go over but then a yellow appeared and you were not seen again - this was Friday I think. Then I walked by your place and you were working on the front left wheel/suspension. What happened?

Regards,
Mike

Thanks for all the compliments! Here are some links:
John Brice Racing Page

SAAC-30 Picture gallery

The car is being prepped right now by Cobra Automotive in CT and will be headed back to California. Monterey Pre-Historics (Aug. 13-14), Then Monterey Historics (Aug. 19-21). Does anyone else plan on attending?

John Brice

Back