Pictures if my newly finished BEC GT40

I'm fairly new on the forum and have been busy working on finishing my BEC GT40. It has a '65 289 SBF engine which has been bored and stroked to 305 c.i. and produces 360 HP/TQ. Power is transmitted through a 6-speed 01E Getrag transaxle. Thought I'd put up a link to some pictures...hope this works. BEC GT40 pictures
Larry Lessie

Ron McCall

Supporter
Very nice Larry.How come I've not heard of BEC before? Looks like a nice kit.Are they Vintage wheels?
How about some engine pics?

BEC (Bailey Edwards Cars) is a South African builder of GT 40's and Ferrari P4's. They have successfully campaigned their GT40's in So. Africa's Vintage Racing circuit for the last 2 or 3 years and I am fortunate to have the only BEC GT40 in North America. By default, I guess I am their North American Representative. They come in various forms of completion from kit form, to rolling chassis, to turn-key minus, to complete drive-away cars for delivery in So. Africa.

BEC uses a space frame clad in aluminum...mine has a full roll-cage. The front suspension is fully independent double-wishbone type. The rear is also independent double-trailing arm with traverse top link and lower wishbone. The suspension has Bilstein adjustable coil over shocks with anti-roll bar at the front and rear. Suspension mounting is fully adjustable with rose joints. Brakes are 4-pot AP Racing calipers with 12” vented disks. The wheels are Halibrand-style Trigo polished alloys with center knock-off and pin drives. The leather interior has original Smiths gauges, 13-inch 3 spoke steering wheel, 4-point racing harnesses, air conditioning as well as original floor mounted Tilton pedals.

Regarding the request, there are a few engine pictures amoung those already posted.

Hi, Larry, she looks very nice! I never particularly liked the Halibrand style wheels, but those polished ones look terrific against the black body work! A question, I don't see any hood-latch like devices, so what holds the rear body work in place? Are those little silver colored buttons on the roof part of the hold-down mechanism?

Mitch D

Thanks for the kind words. Regarding what holds down the body work: There are two fasteners, one on each side at the base, which clamp the clamshell to the chassis.

Oh my, if you're only relying on those two hartwell-style latches to hold the rear clamshell in place, beware. I've read about Hershal's rear end coming open at speed. Not pretty. I believe you'll find plenty on this forum regarding the necessity of adequate rear-latches.

Mitch D

Mitch D. advised me to get additional safety hold downs for my rear body work. I did some research and agree. So, I installed hood pins at the top of the clamshell and feel much better and I'm sure much safer.

Larry,
Your car looks exceptional and well sorted. I am curious as to the gear shift lever and mechanism(cable,hydraulic, rod). Could you elaborate and give some detailed pics?You need to be in the manufacturers column. Do you have any pricing that could be put on the forum? How about parts to non BEC owners? Where are you located? I am sure some of the guys, owners and prospective owners, would love to drop by, or get together. Give us the scoop. Don't hold back.... or out.

Bill

Last edited:
Thank you JCoop and Bill Musara for your kind messages about my BEC GT40, I'm very happy with my car. This past weekend I took it to a car show and was awarded the "Judges Choice" trophy and I hadn't even entered my car in the competition.

In response to Bill Musara's questions: The shifter is a cable set up and I must say that I very much like it. The application is very simple yet well-engineered, the shifting is smooth and precise, and it is easily adjusted. I'll see if I can get my kids to take and post some pictures (I'm not as computer savy as they are).

I am located in beautiful San Diego, California and I would welcome any and all visitors to come see my car and talk about GT40's. Bailey Edwards Cars has their own website (www.baileyedwardscars.co.za), but as you will see, it has limited information. It is obvious that they are more interested in racing and building high quality cars than in building web sites. And to answer your other question, yes you can buy individual components from BEC as well as cars in various stages of completion. As for pricing, contact me and we'll get you a quote on whatever interests you.

Bill Musara asked that I post some pictures of my cable shifter on my BEC GT40. It has taken a few days to get my kids to assist me, but here you go:

CIMG0069-1.jpg

CIMG0068-1.jpg

CIMG0067-1.jpg

CIMG0066-1.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
Is this the car that was owned by the US ex-CAV partner who was trying to get BEC to produce cars and bring them in the US? At one time she had a website setup and running to take orders and get the cars for customers. But, as I understand it they ran into problems getting BEC in SA to focus on production of the cars and only a handful have ever been produced.

Are you now the US agent for BEC in the States?

Yes, this is the same car. That former CAV partner brought the car into the country without and engine/transaxle and then kinda lost interest and went in a different direction. The car sat for a year when I found it. After I bought it, I put the engine/transaxle in it and have been driving it and having a ball.

Bailey Edwards Cars is a low production company which places its primary interest in racing, but also builds quality GT40's and P4's. Peter Bailey, President of BEC, has been successfully campaigning his GT40 in the South African Vintage Racing Circuit for the last 2 to 3 years. All of my dealings with Mr. Bailey and BEC have been excellent. BEC will provide in addition to very helpful information, parts, kits, rolling-chassis, turn-key minuses, as well as complete cars for delivery in South Africa.

Since I have the only BEC GT40, BEC and I mutually agree that I am the BEC North American Representative. Again, I would welcome inquires and visits to inspect my BEC GT40.

Larry Lessie

wbmusarra said:
Larry,
I am curious as to the gear shift lever and mechanism(cable,hydraulic, rod). Could you elaborate and give some detailed pics?

Bill

Hi All

First post newbie post - Not an obvious question, but a reply :)

Gearshift mechanism is off a 1990's Toyota Corolla front wheel drive. You can find 'em at just about any scrapyard this side...About the best positive action shift you can get IMO. You just need the cables custom made to fit your application.

Cheers - Mark

Here you go.

Attachments

• GT40-10-04-06-176.gif
    GT40-10-04-06-176.gif
    140.1 KB · Views: 645
  • GT4010-04-06179.jpg
    GT4010-04-06179.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 548
  • 05-01-07 085.jpg
    05-01-07 085.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 547