Oil Cooler Advice

I'm considering adding an oil cooler to my BEC GT40 and am looking for some sage advice. I am running a vintage '65 289 SBF which is bored and stroked to 305 c.i. and produces about 360 hp/tq. So here are my questions: 1.) What should I use? 2.) Where should I locate it? 3.) And most importantly, what kind of results should I expect in terms of lowering oil/engine temperatures?

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I used a Mocal unit with -10 AN fittings and an inline thermostat.
I've noted two positions to mount the cooler, near the intake on the rear sill and at the exit of the rear clip as noted below.

engine.jpg

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I located mine in the air stream from drivers side scoop in front of the rear wheel. I can't tell you a differential since I never ran without it (Mocal, by the way), but I can tell you that my oil temp has never gone above 180º.

Lynn

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Mine is located in the air stream from the left hand side air intake. I also have
not run the engine without it, so do not know temp difference.

Attachments

• motor running 045 (Small).jpg
    motor running 045 (Small).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 291
I have mounted mine in the rear. Since we have two rear vented areas I decided to use both. One for the oil, and one for the trans. Cleans up the shelf area for other things. Both Mocals with AN 10s. Plumed in an Acusump also for those long "slow" turns.

Attachments

• Web P1010163.jpg
    Web P1010163.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 292
Back