Setting your DISPLAY NAME - FINALLY!

Ron Earp

Admin
Okay, I think we finally have the "Display Name" setting up and working. This modification will allow you to set the name that is shown on the forum for your posts. You'll still need your login ID of course, but maybe this will approximate the way the old forum was with a Display Name.

To set it go to your User Control Panel, or User CP, which can be accessed in the upper left of any screen on the toolbar. Once there go to "Edit Profile" and look down a bit as shown in the screen shot below. Enter in the name you want shown for public display.

For me, I use my real name as I think folks like to communicate with real people instead of odd aliases that don't much to anyone except the owner.

Now, you are STILL going to have a login ID displayed, but it will be small and located under the Display Name. In my case my Display Name is "Ron Earp - Admin", while my login ID is "Ron Earp"

Give it a try, I hope this will work out and answer one of the number one most asked questions since moving to this new forum software.

Best,
Ron

Attachments

• display.JPG
    display.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Display Name feature/Q.

Way to go, Ron. It just keeps getting better and better!!

Off topic: I made a suggestion in a different thread regarding establishing a higher contribution level. I see 2 stars beneath 2124's name above--does that mean he might have contributed concurrently at 2 different levels, or is that 2 consecutive contributions? He just might have hit on a way to enact my original suggestion.

Just curious.

Doug

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I notice things have moved around again. In particular, I notice that my login ID is once again displayed in large letters with my "Public name" displayed in smaller letters below it, rather than being the way Ron described in his original post on this thread. Also, things that were displayed in certain fields have moved around (for example, where there is a place to list the type of GT40 owned, the information displayed was what was previously input for "location"). I went into the CP and moved things around, but I wonder if there is any way to change our login ID without creating a different membership--"YerDugliness" is an alterego from a time long ago and far away.

Still, Ron and Al, I have to give you the props you are due and say this has been a great migration with ever so slight teething problems. Way to go, guys!!

Onward through the fog!

Doug

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Back again!

Well, now, it's back again the way Ron explained it. If that was you, Ron or Al, thanks! If not, I guess there are "...ghosts in the machine".

Doug

Ron Earp

Admin
More of you guys need to check out and set the display name. Users can't click on you at all if you have NO Display Name and NO Avatar. Be nice to see everyone get setup properly.

Display Names are required of any new users, but, I have no way to force old users to set one except via asking.

Best,
Ron

Ron,
How do I hange the name just under my avitar? My public name is as it should be, but the name under the pic is the original sign or login name. Would like to change it. Under CP it has public name and nothing else. Please advise.

Bill

Back