Clutch Suggestions for 930 and 400HP

My other project besides my GT40 is an LS1 Chevy powered 1975 Porcshe 911 with 993 racing body looks. I have the short bell housing Porsche 930 turbo transaxle for this car and I will be using the Kennedy adapter. I need to know if anyone has a good suggestion for the make and model of clutch to use that will handle the 350-400 pound-foot of torque that the Chevy LS1 will provide? This car will be a more normal street cruiser and fun run-around car. Of course I expect to do some wheel burnouts and pop the clutch every once in a while but it won't be as bad as going to the drag strip every weekend. So I need suggestions that will be able to handle the power but still be very usable on the street for everyday driving.

My GT40 needs an engine, so I am looking to buy a Chevy 502 engine to rebuild for my twin turbocharged GT40 project dream car. If you spot one for low cost, please send me a note and information so that I can contact the owner.
I have the crank & rods already to build it into a stroker 540 cu in engine. So I need a rebuildable core engine or block. My wife wants me to make sure and spend as little as possible.
Phoenix Arizona is entering into its nice time of the year now and I can get more done on the car during the next 8 months of cooler weather.

You must like the look the Chevy gives you!!!!!! If what you say is so then the clutch that Kennedy supplies whould do O K. Otherwise go for one of the kevlar ones. You are shooting for insane amounts of power that I believe are over the top. I am beginning to think my 408 is going to be too much. As light as these cars are you will never be doing more than just cracking the throtle to get up to speed. You won'thave to pop the clutch to get the tires roasted. Let me see......HHmmmmm..... 8 kids, twin turbo, 540 c.i., 2400 lbs....... My wife doesn't mind me spending the money on the car. She just makes sure the insurance is paid up!!!!

Seriously, shoot for the moon if that much power makes you happy. Just remember, you want people to say, "What,,,, is that"?, not "What was that"!!

Bill

Hello Bill,
You have mistakenly mixed up my post. I have two separate cars that I am working on. The clutch suggestion I am looking for is for my Porsche 911 with a 930 turbo gear box with the short bellhousing. It has the Chevy LS1 350 cu in engine for joy riding on the street.

The GT40 will be getting the 502 Chevy (actually 540 cu in) twin turbo and it will have an automatic transmission to handle the power. The transmission is from a Cadillac Eldorado that came with the 500 cu in engine, but my transmission is being built super strong like is done for the Turbohydro 400 transmissions used for drag racing. I am looking for a core engine to build up for this application. Who knows, this car may end up as a drag racer. Anyone ever seen a GT40 drag car?

The life insurance is in full force.

Back