Wondering if anyone can ID this trans ? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• eng2.jpg
    eng2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,428

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Chris,

OK, you've got my attention. What's the story behind the pictures?? I've been waiting to hear about someone doing something with a boxter transaxle.

Regards,
Lyn

brettmcc said:
It might be a newer 997 Porsche Transaxle, the Boxster is remarkably similar to the Audi... Either way go and check out GETRAG Corporate Group - 6MTL380 TRANSMISSION and have a look there.

Brett

Brett,

It is the early 5 speed Boxster that is nearly identical to the 5 speed Audi model 012. The 6 speed Boxster in your link is not the same as the Audi 6 speed (01E). That Getrag link is nice as it lists torque ratings of each model; too bad they don't go back to earlier models on thier list.

Andys

hey all, (first post here, been watching for about a year or so)

according to an audi freak I know who is a german parts dealer in germany

The 650 tranmission is the quatro one from the RS6 audi

and the boxter 6 speed is the 380 one,

I haven't seen this in real life though

there should be one thing mentioned about the 650nm though, you can put it through, but only in the AWD set up it is used to have, blocking the rear diff would effectivly put all the torque through the front diff and that will give way before the front diff of the 01* does.

grtz Thomas

Almost certainly available, just depends on how deep your pockets are.

For good prices try carnewal.com.
Gert (the owner) is a top bloke, and will help if he possibly can.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I have not paid attention to particular models, but I have seen boxter transaxles on eBay and, for the most part, they are cheaper that G50/xx boxes. I just don't see that many suitable Auto Union boxes on eBay to provide comparison (let's see how many people that throws), although they are part of my ZF search. But, I may not have the correct criteria in the search to see the ones that would be used in a GT40.

Regards,
Lyn

This isn't likely to help those folks across the pond, but here's a link to a well established Porsche dismantler in SoCal. I have done business with them in the past. I prefer to work directly with the owner, who in my experience is a stand up guy. The site never quite seems to be to date on the inventory. They were an exhibitor at the Ventura, CA, German Auto Fest in Sept.
LA Porsche Salvage Yard

Andys

The Boxster and 996 transmissions are often cheaper than the G50's... especially the early lighter-duty 5-speed Boxster unit. However, Porsche does not sell most of the parts for the Boxster & 996 transmissions. If you can run one "as is", and maybe replace a broken one for $2k some years later with another used one, then hey why not. A new factory rebuilt unit is something like $4000 with 2 yr warranty. This is why almost no one else is rebuilding these. The main bearing seems to be a problem, otherwise fairly trouble free if not overloaded. 996 Carrera makes around 300-320 hp depending.

The bellhousing is larger in diameter and has different bolt spacing from the G50's and G64's -- not at all interchangeable.

Note that the 996 turbo & 996 GT2/GT3 trans is totally different from the above. Those are evolutions of the G50/52 and G64/51. These are still G50-compatible for mounting at the bellhousing end.

Last edited:
Back