Transaxle vent/breather

Doug Dyar

Supporter
Has anyone mounted a remote vent/breather to their transaxle?

I'm having trouble finding a place to mount the tank so it will drain back.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Lots of Pantera owners add a stainless vent tube, breather cap or filter but very few have any sort of catch can, there really should not be any fluid loss through the vent, especially if you provide a little vertical height out of the transaxle.

Attachments

• Vent tube.jpg
    Vent tube.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 145
  • Pantera Vent Tube.jpg
    Pantera Vent Tube.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 141

Doug Dyar

Supporter
Lots of Pantera owners add a stainless vent tube, breather cap or filter but very few have any sort of catch can, there really should not be any fluid loss through the vent, especially if you provide a little vertical height out of the transaxle.
Julian
Thanks for the post and pics.

That looks like it would provide a path to the ground for any fluid coming out of the vent. Not sure that would work for me.

Whether or not there should be any fluid loss through the vent, there is some. It's venting a fine mist, and has done so since new. The vent fitting has been crushed and has a vent hole near the top as recommended by others.

I'm going to build a vent hose with a vertical rise after leaving the transaxle to allow the mist the condense and hopefully drip back into the trans. A catch tank may not be necessary, but I don't like the idea of draining any fluid to the ground. Any fluid that doesn't condense would be collected in a catch can that could be emptied if needed.

I've read that this issue is fairly common with the ZF transaxle. Was hoping someone had a solution or ideas that might work before I design a solution.

For what it's worth, this is what the ERA guys advised per their assembly manual: For "continuous" high speed driving, an overflow system should be installed. The top cover plug can be drilled for a fitting and connected to a 1 - 2 quart capacity container. You can use a Canton breather tank (23-030)." They say to connect the bottom of the tank to the fill hole of the ZF so the system is closed and returns oil to the ZF auto magically.

I have seen many GT40s in my day and looked at pictures I have. Almost none have a catch tank. Most are just vented in the top of the case, as Jules said. Which is what we Pantera guys do.

Again, I am not driving my car at LeMans.

Doug, this is how I have my vent line and catch can mounted. The catch can is dual purpose engine and transaxle breather, so no provision to feed back into the ZF. Engine breather line not connected in this photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0978.png
    IMG_0978.png
    662.5 KB · Views: 108

Chris Kouba

Supporter
If you're misting, is there too much oil in the case? That's the only time I've heard of this happening (yeah, in all my years... of GT40 experience!).

I think it was 2.7 quarts for the first fill and 2.2 there after? I'd have to dig deeper to refresh my memory, or maybe someone else knows it by heart (Ron?? @Pantera1889)

Doug Dyar

Supporter
If you're misting, is there too much oil in the case? That's the only time I've heard of this happening (yeah, in all my years... of GT40 experience!).

I think it was 2.7 quarts for the first fill and 2.2 there after? I'd have to dig deeper to refresh my memory, or maybe someone else knows it by heart (Ron?? @Pantera1889)
The last time that I changed the transaxle oil, I drained it and added 3 quarts. I marked a homemade dipstick at that level. See attached photos.

Does a ZF use the same amount of oil when flipped for use in a GT40 as when it's the other way up in a Pantera?

Attachments

• Filling the Transaxle (1).pdf
    345.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Chris Kouba

Supporter
The last time that I changed the transaxle oil, I drained it and added 3 quarts. I marked a homemade dipstick at that level. See attached photos.

Does a ZF use the same amount of oil when flipped for use in a GT40 as when it's the other way up in a Pantera?

I can't comment on the comparison vs. Pantera, but I did go back through my PM's and confirm that Ron said 2.5 liters in our configuration.

Doug Dyar

Supporter
I can't comment on the comparison vs. Pantera, but I did go back through my PM's and confirm that Ron said 2.5 liters in our configuration.
So if I used 3 quarts, approximately 2.84 litres, is that enough extra fluid (over 2.5 litres) to cause it to mist out of the breather, or worse, to damage my transaxle or potentially overwhelm the seals and ruin my clutch?

Last edited:

Chris Kouba

Supporter
It might be enough to do a little misting but I doubt it would do any damage. The crown wheel is right under the vent, so it's easy for it to sling fluid at it and have some get out. I saw deflectors and such at one point, but can't remember the origin or the urgency of them.

Also, I went on a drive once with Vaughn and he had 4 quarts in his ZF... yeah it was a short drive, lots of mist but no damage:

I can't see how it'd do anything to it but Ron McCall would still be the best resource to confirm.

Hi Doug, I run an inverted 930 Porsche 4 speed trans-axle and had major issues initially with it puking oil out the breather and overflowing the small Moroso catch can I use. I converted my side filler plug to a -8AN female nipple and have my can continuously draining back into the trans. It basically operates as a closed "loop" circuit with a breather in it. Works great - I haven't oiled my back brakes since I fitted it! Cheers, Andrew

I assume when your talking inverted that the input shaft is lower than the output shafts and therefore the seal fitted at the input shaft is likey to be 'flooded' in use. Two options there, fit a seal that by design operates as a helix design and wipes excess back into the trans or convert the trans to a 'dry sump' style of operation. any vent should be positioned in a low pressure area and no 'throw off' of oil from gears etc.

I used a similar system to the one Andrew used when I inverted my Renault UN1 transaxle all those years ago. It has worked well and given no trouble that I recall.

Has anyone ever inverted an automatic transaxle successfully? Health issues mean I need to look at various options including dry sump on automatic trans and hand clutch on a manual gear lever. I have ideas on both but I`m interested whether its been done already?

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Wow that could open the door for a lot brain storms. Someone must make an automatic trans axle that wouldn't need inverting. I would like a manual paddle shift, hydraulic or air opp. clutch. I like my Honda Africa Twin dual clutch, and the Eaton auto shift 18 speed in trucks I have owned.,,,,,, that idea. Now make this work with electronic fuel injection. FYI, I'm not at all up on computer controlled.

Back