Resizing and Posting Photos...

Hi all
Since the latest version of forum software has been installed, I have been asked a number of times about posting photos and also re-sizing photos to suit the forum. This posting will hopefully help anyone having difficulty (if I get it right) but should you find any errors in my description - (quite possible!) then please let me know.

Firstly, the easiest format to use for pictures is 'jpeg' or 'jpg'. These offer the best in terms of compression (file size) and general quality and fortunately, most digital cameras generate images as jpg's by default.

The resolution of image and file size is important as the forum software has been set to only allow files of certain types and size to be posted into the threads. This is not done for the hell of it, it helps keep the overall bandwidth used by the forum to sensible levels, which in turn keeps the running costs in check. Additionally, it ensures that the forum operates both quickly and is available to the widest audience. (not eveyone has a monitor supporting 1900x1600 pixels - I don't for one!...)

So, step 1 - locate the folder where your pictures are on your computer and check the resolution of them as is. To do this in XP but it is similar in Win98 etc, move the mouse pointer over the 'start' menu (generally bottom left had corner) and press the left mouse button to bring up a sub-menu, from here. locate the 'My Documents' tab and again, move the pointer to it and left click to select.

This action opens a new window where you may see many files and folders. Whilst in this new window, move the pointer to a free area between files/folders and press the right mouse button, bringing up a sub menu, now move pointer over 'views' and another sub-menu pops up where you shoud select 'details' using the left mouse button.

All being well you should have an image similar to the first one below.
From here you can see that '1' points to a folder called 'My Pictures'.

Move pointer over this folder and double-click the left mouse button to open it and you should have a window something similar to the second image below. (if not) try right clicking in a free area of the new window and selecting 'views' then 'Details' again. (eg see pointer 2 below)

This window shows files, folders, filetypes, file sizes, etc etc and the list can be sorted by left clicking on any of the top row headings pointed to by the '3' below. Repeated clicking on any column heading will sort into A-Z or Z-A order...

If there are any images in this folder, you can check their filesize in bytes here (eg '5').

Note now that there is a folder in here called 'Forum Pics' - To create this, right-click in a free area, then select 'New' then 'Folder'. I named it 'Forum Pics' so I could easily navigate there from elsewhere... (see '6' below)

END OF POST ONE - NEXT POST - RESIZING...

Attachments

• Files details.jpg
    Files details.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 513
  • files details  2.jpg
    files details 2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 498
  • Files details 3.jpg
    Files details 3.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Re: Resizing and Posting Photos cont'd...

RESIZING YOUR PHOTOS....

As mentioned previously, your camera, or scanner for that matter, may have provided you with images too big to post. There are many ways of resizing pics, but to demonstrate a 'freebie download' - I had a quick look on Google for a suitable free application.

This was found at Free Image Resize Software Import organize resize photos- VSO
see google image below.

Once downloaded and installed, (NOTE - It seems to be ok and malware free, But I accept no responsibilty etc etc.....) you can call it up by selecting the program from your start menu.

It will then open a folder, looking for photos to convert - IF this is NOT the folder you require, click on the bar at the top '7' and 'browse' to the required folder location. Once there, select the image(s) to resize. More than one can be selected by holding the left CTRL key and then clicking the left mouse button on each required. To continue select 'open' as in '8' below.

Now you have the main options screen, from here, select
The required resolution -eg 800x600 to 600x400 - (9)

Set Filtering to Medium and Format to JPG - (10)

Set Quality to about 75% - (11) - this keeps file size not too big!

Tick to Keep aspect Ratio - (12) - otherwise pics will be stretched or squeezed...

Set to Create copies (13) - this will generate new lower res files whilst leaving your originals as downloaded from camera - ie.still at hi-res...

Now set the destination folder for the new files - (14) - this is the 'Forum Pics' folder you created earlier - that way you'll know any pics in there are ok to 'post'...

Finally - Click on 'OK' (15) and the program should resize your file(s) and place in the 'Forum pics' folder.....

Attachments

• image resizer 1.jpg
    image resizer 1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 497
  • image resizer 2.jpg
    image resizer 2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 469
  • image resizer 3.jpg
    image resizer 3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 488
  • image resizer 4.jpg
    image resizer 4.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 462
  • image resizer 5.jpg
    image resizer 5.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 451
FINALLY - POSTING the images.

To add images to the thread/post. After typing your text, scroll down and select the box 'manage attachments' - (16)

This opens a new box, that shows what file sizes and types are acceptable for upload and in this instance we are interested in 'jpg' (17)

To add a file, 'Browse' to the 'Forum Pics' folder (remember earlier?) and click on a picture. It's location on your computer will appear in the box next to 'Browse'.

Now click on 'Upload' (19) - This will transfer a copy of the file from your pc to the Forum and it will be displayed in the 'current attachments' list (20/21) together with the total attachments size.

If you make an error and want to remove a file, it or they can be removed by clicking on the relavent remove buttons (22)

When you have added all the photos you require (within the limits), scroll down in the window and select the 'close window' button. (23)

Then to finish - click the 'submit reply' button as per normal.

You have now resized and posted jpg pictures to the forum - I hope...!

There are other ways to add pictures - especially if hosted elsewhere, but by loading them to the forum, they should always be available and are not reliant on another host who may or may not be present in 6 mths time..

NB - This posting was somewhat interrupted this afternoon so if there are errors - please let me know...:)

Attachments

• upload1.jpg
    upload1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 451
  • upload2.jpg
    upload2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
Back