A New SLC Powerplant Option

Thats great news as I heard from a GM insider that " the management" word was the LS9 would not be a crate package...glad he was mistaken

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Pretty cool....

There's just one thing I really cannot stand about the LS Series though... Those hideous looking coil-packs adorning the rocker covers...

medium_2982836548_fffd6bb7fe_o.jpg

The one weak spot on an LS engine is the looks of the lame cylinder heads and coil packs for sure. Maybe a 90 on the TB intake piping would keep it from sticking into the cockpit of the SLC?

630HP ya, I need that like I need another whole in my wallet :p

Last edited:
Mesa, the LSx plastic covers are ugly (to me). I prefer to see the "stuff". Blue or red plug wires and mostly hidden bright red valve covers peek through just enough to make it look serious. I used G2 high temp epoxy caliper paint (2 kits) and sprayed the accessory bracket as well. Overall look is okay, acceptable to me. Engine is at dyno shop right now, will post photos when I get it back in about a week.

Maybe a 90 on the TB intake piping would keep it from sticking into the cockpit of the SLC?

When driving the SLC, be careful when leaning toward the passenger to yell in his ear, that thing will suck your head right in!

Wondering if the intake manifold & supercharger can be reversed such as on the LSx engines??? Or a 4 rotor, I agree would be AWSOME!

Yep, the plastic covers are not too much better. I just think the valve covers are too wimpy looking and on top of that there are unattractive coil packs stuck on them.

I'll check the engine out next week, see if there is a clue on turning the assembly around. Actually if the TB is high enough to clear the upper frame cross rail behind the seats, then one could run the air intake duct down between the top of the seats to make the hook up. Of course the induction noise might be a bit much RIGHT next to your ear...

But then you could be "different" and order up a rotary spinning at a bizzillion RPM. Don't forget the cotton swabs in the ears to sop up the bleeding. :p

You go Bwian!

Last edited:
Mesa, don't forget that with the current LSx engines the intake is symetrical and can be reversed to place the throttle body toward the back of the car...Same with the valve covers years 2000 +

I'm using a modified LS-1 with a Z-06 intake and FBW throttle body. I have reversed the intake and valve covers. The valve covers were swapped around simply because the oil fill is more convenient. Check the photo's of Frans car, the intake is reversed.

Don't forget that with the LS9 you would have to figure something out for the pully that drives the supercharger.

This has been discussed on the GTM forum which also uses the LSx with a reversed intake. One of the guys there was going to put on a Magnacharger, not sure if he did it in the end.

There is at least one FFR GTM LS-7 with a magnacharger. I believe the supercharger faces toward the front of the engine. Forget which magazine it was in. Can't say for the new LS-9 though. Looks like it may be a problem. Anyone else, please chime in...

The reality is that for the same money as the ZR1 engine you could get a modded LS7 without the attendant supercharger/intercooler/intake fitment issues. And it would be lighter.

But then, guys are already working on mods to the ZR1........ha ha. How about 800 hp?

One of the features (for me at least) is the "all business" look of the LSx engines with the exposed coil packs. It does not resemble an old iron SBC at all. This is why I chose to paint the valve covers. It is just enough to break up the "busyness" of the coil packs and harness. Cost was about $75. These rocker covers are a little expensive. Glitter won't make more HP!

Doc,

Thanks for the info. Don't care for the carbon fiber valva covers, but the SS coil brackets look good. Thanks again..

Jack

There was no LS9 at the show on a stand...but the GM staff confirmed it will be offered as a crate engine.

Heck Fran, there was so much to look at on the Cad you guys built for the show, I totally missed how well you covered the cylinder heads. I remember the engine looked really nice and well finished without the valve cover treatment looking like a cover. So well done in fact I didnt even notice it was an LS. I'll have to dig out the photos when I get back home.

Back