does anyone know where 1040 has got to?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
GT40P-1040, a Mark I car which was part of the Scuderia Filipinetti team and which saw action in the 1966 LM 24hr race, was owned for many years by a local fellow who has evidently sold it along. (he now owns a 365GTC Ferrari, but that is another story) Does anyone know where 1040 went, and if its' new owner is a member of this forum?

1040 required a complete restoration. The tub, which was known to be original, had been damaged and repaired. Although I saw what I think were most of the parts of the car, it was not clear to me that the bodywork that was on the car had come with the tub to begin with. There were enough bits there, I believe, to assemble a complete GT40, plus extras, but likely since the car had been apart for many years it would be quite a job to do it.

In any case, 1040 is one of the last unrestored period competition GT40s which ran at LeMans in the glory days of these cars. It was not a lucky vehicle; as John Allen said, it had "more than its share of low moments", but it is the real thing, the genuine article from the days which began the history of greatness of these cars. I hope wherever it is, someone is giving it the restoration that it deserves and that we will see it out on the track again someday.

Once they were all new and shiny, just like we were. The difference is that they can be made new and shiny again.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
GT40P-1040, a Mark I car which was part of the Scuderia Filipinetti team and which saw action in the 1966 LM 24hr race, was owned for many years by a local fellow who has evidently sold it along. (he now owns a 365GTC Ferrari, but that is another story) Does anyone know where 1040 went, and if its' new owner is a member of this forum?

Jimbo, AFAIK the most recent owner of 1040 is a forum member whose forum name is Cobraownr, real name Don S.

Here's a link to his profile page:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/members/cobraownr.html

His profile page does not indicate he has sold the car, but I notice it's been almost a year since he posted anything on the forum, so I guess it is possible. If that's so, then this information won't help at all......I do know that at the last time we traded PM's (12/30/06) he was interested in selling the car, though.

If I were to ever get to build a GT40, I'd most likely try to replicate 1040, it's just got "...the look".......you can see a photo of it on his profile page, his avatar, I think. In addition, within the past couple of years an artist (Dav3 Kurz) started posting on the forum, he did an incredible piece on 1040.....good stuff!

Doug

Last edited:
Jim the real 1040 had indeed changed hands and is now getting ready for a restoration in the capable hands of Bob Ashe at Racing Icons. Don still owns his cobra too.

The Sbarro 1040 is still floating around Europe and shows up at vintage meets every now and then.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well, if Bob Ash restores it, it will be as good as any of them out there. I saw 1076 that he did at Pebble in 2003 and it was staggeringly beautiful- just as good as it could possibly get. I hope he posts photos of 1040 on the Racing Icons page, so we all get to see it.

Mind you, he's got his work cut out for him. His group did some work on the tub a few years back, but I think there's quite a lot left to do. I suspect they will have to replace at least some of the body.

Thanks, Jay!

Back