new build

Hi guys did a bit of searching about and from what I see here it takes quite a while to build one of these things.

I have just retired early "50" and considering a build, however could you just fill me in on a couple of points, ball park figure thinking, nothing specific.

I'm a mechanic to trade, with a facility and tools if that helps answer the questions

Why does it take so long to build one, 3-5 years it seems helish long.

Is it difficult to get the parts you need from breakers etc.

And finally a rolling chassis is about 10 grand, how far does that take you down the road to a finished product, is it the best way to go and whats the cheapest you have seen a decent one built for.

Thanks in advance, Dave.

And it's a great site lads, well done.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
Dave
It is not unusual for self built vehicles to take a long time because "life" seems to get in the way.... It took me almost 6 years, marriage, renovations, child, change in jobs - all conspired to delay me. There was also a 6 month period where I simply lost motivation....
Having said that, there are guys on the forum that have taken less than a year to build with all their life commitments and many more that take about 12-18 months.
A big part of the time comes with the choice of manufacturer you go with, where my build required the space frame to be skinned with aluminium panels (63 in all) and for various reasons it took me about 8 months to do (about 4 weeks of real time work). It was my choice to go this way and I am happy I did, as I got to form my panels out of stock sheets making cardboard templates. Gives you are real sense of achievement....
Many manufacturers offer kits with pre-skinned or actual monocoque chassis that skip this step entirely.
As a retiree (you, not me...hehe) you may be in a position to get all the bits delivered at once and then it is a case of putting together a big jigsaw puzzle. In most instances, people that go down this path get their cars built in 12-18 months.

Finally, a rolling chassis will mean that (assuming you buy a monocoque or pre-skinned space frame car) you can essentially start on the body fitment side of the build which is generally the hardest part of the project and you are doing so when your enthusiasm and energy are at their greatest. Rolling chassis means full suspension including braking system and pedal assembly. You will probably still have to do the clutch lines but that depends on which manufacturer you go with.

Hope this helps you and good luck with your choice.

Regards

Bill

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Dave

Sourcing parts is not a problem. We can supply you with every nut, screw and bolt.

You can call me on 01562 820372 to discuss.

Thanks

Andy

Ron Earp

Admin
Gentlemen, please keep the advertising to your own forums, PMs, or the Manufacture's Announcement section. I'd like to refer to rule 5(b) shown here:

The Rules at GT40s.com

This is the last open warning I will make about this. I have also sent a PM.

Ron

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the site.
In reality, there's very little to be sourced from donor vehicles in most of these cars. Take your time, speak to some owners and get a feel for the different makes. There are several EXCELLENT companies producing GT40 replicas, and as far as I'm aware, the can ALL provide you with every part you need to put a car together. Also, don't be put off by the manufacturer being in a different country or continent, it's a small world with this internet thingy so any help, advice and backup is only a click away.
We have a member on here who says by careful building and rebuilding of parts, a GT40 replica can be put together for 15K! although most spend way more than that, sourcing and refurbishing parts yourself (engine/gearbox etc) can cut costs dramatically.
There are also lots of part completed projects out there which sometimes come up for sale, don't discount them.
best of luck.:thumbsup:

Simon

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s Dave!

Looking forward to reading more about your build!!!

Welcome David:

I look forward to seeing your handy work. I can say at just over a year into a scratch build the time has gone by so quick. There seems to be hidden hours that use up you time. Life gets in the way and some of us still have to put the 40 hours in each week. You may be able to do the fastest build. Come join the fun only time will tell :laugh:

Back