Newb gt40 vs SL-C

So I decided to go to Dental School so I could afford a Gt40...
When the time comes it will be very hard to choose between the 2.
looked around and read quite a few threads...

1) Even with the largest front tire possible on the GT40, I gather the SL-C is a faster track car?
I would think (in my ignorance perhaps) that the two would have very similiar geometrys?

2) What events are people running their RCR cars in in So. Ca area? Either one...

3) Anyone have a Clevor/Cleveland in their SL-C? Haven't seen any though i would certainly think it would be feasable would love to see some type of build thread involving one or a sb ford

Dental School = GT40
Spoken like a true gearhead.

Largest front tire = faster track car.....Hhhhhmmmmm
I don't think the two cars share much in the way of geometry. The SLC is way advanced in this area as it mimics a modern supercar and it's use of radial tire geometry.
There are a few GT40s in SoCal
There are no Blue Oval powered SLCs and no running SLCs at this time in California that I know of.

Thank you for your well-informed reply. I'm only on page 2 of your SLC 001 Build Thread....

I think I have around 250 hours on these forums... I'll never read (nor capture) it all...

while I may have insinuated a bit that the front tire = faster track times, I did not mean it as an overall rating of a car; I can't imagine something(GT40) with 245's keeping a similiar car(imaginary GT40) running 285's of the same compound.

PS Maybe I'm thinking more of front-engine cars? perhaps I wouldn't want this size of a tire in mid engine setup?

Last edited:
GT40=Most advanced 1960's technology.
SLC=Most advanced 2000's technology.

Granted, the suspension geometry on the RCR 40s are more than likely more current in design geometry. The SLC has a PROVEN race history now (a few pages back on the main RCR forum).

Either way, both cars are incredible machines. I've seen first hand, the awesomeness of the SLC on the track. And GT40s will be respected by all because of it's amazing heritage.

Good luck with your decision! And when you have the time, go visit RCR and the great team that builds these cars.

does the suspension geometry of the RCR40 mimic that of the origional GT40 or does it in any way incorperate the Ford GT i? The Ford Gt suspension is in no way 60's tech and is one amazing machine. I wish there was a 40 kit with the Ford GT interior or close to it.

Howard or J Salmon might be able to better compare handling characteristics of the SLC versus the RCR GT40. But, tire size may be optimized for geometry and handling characteristics for each platform, such that increasing tire size might introduce too much under steer. Both are being proven racing platforms (don't forget the great efforts of Robertson Racing at LeMans!). I believe the "edge" might go to the SLC, but maybe not by as much as we think.

I'll take a stab at this one. I raced a Gt40 for a couple years at different track events and also an SLC at one event. My GT40 was set up by a Sprint Cup shop and handled fantastic. It had a Yates engine with over 600 hp at the tires. The SLC was a bone stock model with an LS7.

There is no way I could run the times in the GT40 that I could in the SLC. These cars are entirely different. It is not just a different skin on the same chassis. I would put my GT40 up against ANY gt40 and expect to win. My GT40 against anyone in an SLC and I would be the under dog.

If you want a track car, the SLC is for you. You are not restrained by the need to look vintage. You can run modern technology and you will end up with a much easier car to drive fast. That is really the difference, the SLC is easier to drive fast.

I think a huge chunk of the speed difference comes from the aero package. The GT40 reflects 45 year old aero knowledge, with the result that there is a lot of front end lift. You can fix a lot of that, but it starts looking less and less like a GT40. The current Ford GT being raced at LeMans reflects what changes are necessary to capture downforce; splitter, full width front wheel arches, flip ups, dive planes etc.

The SLC is up to date on the aero front, the result being that the fundamental capabilities of the chassis simply exceed that of the GT 40. Suspension geometry contributes further to the margin.

Back