Roof scoop used for a cold air intake for the engine.

Has anybody tried to use the roof scoop as cold air intake system? I would think it would give a ram-air type effect if done right.

Due to the size of the 5.4L mod motor with a supercharge, I am going to have to reshape the rear window area. I am looking at just making a solid panel with a raised section to clear the motor. I am wondering if it would be possible to connect to the roof scoop and run it the full length of the rear window and connect it to a air-box for the intake. This would split the window into two pieces, then I could either put split windows in or solid panels with vents to help cool the engine area.

I know I would have to make or come up with something to make a seal between the spider section of the body and the rear clamshell for when it is closed to not lose the ram-air effect.

I may also have to enlarge the scoop on the underside to enlarge the the over all area to allow for more air to pass though.

Don't know the answer, but is this similar to what you mean?

1473324682_bbeb0afb06_o.jpg

Howard's using it to feed cold air in.

I looked at it when I was going to do a crossram intake, and it's possible, but didn't care for the amount of $$$ for design and fab time.

Re - raised section of the rear clip ... better be careful and wait until you have a car infront of you before deciding to do that. When I was thinking about going carb'd (what havn't I tried to do in this darned car, lol) I was initially going to have it raised for a scoop. Then when I trial fit it I was 'f*k no, this breaks the bodylines so badly'. I've seen some pics of cars with the backpack scoop Craig (Australia) designed and in pics it looks okay, but when I see the style in person it doesn't seem as hot to me.

Yes much like to pic, but keeping the factory exterior shape for the spider and just extending it downwards to bottom of rear window area. Design and fab time would not be all that bad. No more time than the mods made to other parts of the car by others.

Would take making a two sealed points one at spider and rear bodywork and then one between the rear body work and airbox which would have to be made to attach to TB.

Then would have option to either use panels on each side with vents or to cut the plexiglass window to fit to each side.

I figure this will be easier for a intake system with my planed motor choice that finding a way to route cold air in to from somewhere else, since I will need to mod this area anyways.

Back