DSCF4982.jpg

DSCF4983.jpg

DSCF4985.jpg

DSCF4980.jpg

what a pain having to remove all the rivited panels on the front so the steering rack can be removed. even before that the heater vents which are glued in place had to be heated up to soften the glue enough to allow removal. these cars really were put together with little thought.

DSCF4997.jpg

bores etc look remarkably good. just signs of head gasket problems. it does have solid lifters but the engine looks very standard otherwise.

the tail is now deflared and one mould made for the arch.

DSCF5005.jpg

the pins are the remains of where the pattern was for the flaring of the rear arches. they were actually pugged then fibreglassed over. one arch completely disentigrated when it was removed.

DSCF5000.jpg

DSCF5006.jpg

mold

DSCF5001.jpg

DSCF5002.jpg

it was a bit of a fight to get the front suspension off as it hadn't been touch for a very long time but it all came out without resorting to cutting bolts

DSCF5010.jpg

It is great that you are able to share this restoration with the GT40 community. It greatly adds to our knowledge base of these great cars. There have been many threads on the center GT40 steering wheel button. If you get a chance can you take some close up picture of both the front and back of the button. It would also be very useful if you could include a ruler in the picture for reference. Thanks again!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Are the new rear wheel arches aluminum, then? That's what it looks like to me, but not sure. Nice of you to share all this, I don't think we have ever had this kind of visual presentation of the restoration of an original car before on this forum- not that I can recall, in any event.

the aluminium panel is the mould for the fibreglass. it'll be built up from the inside then the ally panel removed. the panel was made by hand from measurements of 1107.

with cars like these when they dissapear from view then suddely re-appear different colors and different shapes there is always the question "is it the same car?" shouldn't be any doubt with this one :happy:

the future magazine features will be more of the historical side of it as well road tests etc.

Hi Barry, did you form the aluminum piece on an actual English wheel or was it an import? Just kidding, thanks so much for sending the pics of the deep insides of a MKIII.

anyone know what these are called and possible place to purchace some?. probably going to need 50 odd

DSCF5009.jpg

they are rubber with a brass nut in the botton. 1/4 unf thread

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Barry, this is the sort of thing that McMaster-Carr have in abundance......if they will ship to UK. www.mcmaster-carr.com, I think.

Yes, they are within the category of "rivet nuts": McMaster-Carr

Mcmaster does claim to ship overseas, and I'd be very interested to know how well that works:

McMaster-Carr Help

where they say "We can ship our products throughout the world using air and ocean transportation services. We evaluate international orders from all new customers to determine whether we can accept them."

will look into it cheers :thumbsup:

DSCF5016.jpg

DSCF5015.jpg

DSCF5014.jpg

DSCF5013.jpg

hope that helps.

car will soon be in the bodyshop so there wont be much update till it is back. all the parts removed will be overhauled ready to fit.

started on the original exhaust manifolds. they are very rusty but on closer inspection it looks like they used to be chrome

DSCF5023.jpg

so they'll be rechromed

and i found this deep within the bowles of the bodyshell under the pipework behind the panel behind the seats

DSCF5017.jpg

i thought it was a washer until i dug it out from the crud and cleaned it. i did find a couple of modern coins under the seats but this was was really buried. must have been there since new or very nearly new. it is one of the older larger 10pence pieces and i shall glue it back into the car when it goes back together.

bit of research suggests that it it lucky to have a coin in a new car so it could have possibly been put there on purpose?

Last edited:
Perfect, your the man. Now if we could only find the original injection mold. It does look like someone is working on making new ones. There is however nothing like looking at an original. Thanks!!

p.s. At least you found money. Back in the late 60's I was working on a 65 Shelby GT350 to repair the over-ride traction bars. When I removed the spare tire shelf I found an open box of condoms courtesy of Shelby American.

Last edited:
Good Grief, Richard. I trust GT40's were not supplied originally (the Mk III's) with a box of condoms. The 40 driver did not indulge in such frivolity (times change).

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The GT40 driver would have a difficult time with such indulgences- not for a lack of interest, but for a lack of space. The Shelby Mustang would make a far better playpen, although not like a vintage Cadillac etc. As for the Cobra, since very few of them have tops, you would enjoy the benefit of unlimited headroom.

Back