1175hp/1100TQ for 36k?

Is the Ricardo still worth getting with the new Mendeola SDR Stage II offering. I know FF is pushing foward with the Mendeola and the Ricardo is favored for the SL-C. I'm not sure if this topic has been covered on this forum but I'm pretty sure I read that you had tested the Mendeola in the SL-C. Which is the better of the two and is there a big difference in cost and upkeep? I was under the impression that the Ricardo box was discontinued with the Ford GT and the ones available from dabsolutions were all refurbs. Seeing that the new Venom GT is also using the Ricardo I may be wrong.

I'm not sure what you timeline is, but it's unknown when the Stage II will be available. When I spoke to Mendeola in the beginning of winter, they told me 99% of the parts were available for such a box, but it only existed on paper at that time.

They were waiting for commitments from people to make it a reality. Understandable. However the price they were quoting at the time led me to favor the Ricardo. The gearing they had in mind didn't suit what I wanted for my build (5speed, 3.90 r&p, .7x 5th iirc) either. It would be nice to use an off the shelf GM clutch though. So many good options available.

Regarding the GTM. I owned one half go karted. I spent a good amount of $$ on custom bars to feel safer in it. After doing that, I still didn't feel safe. I eventually grew disinterested in the build, and traded it in on a SL-C.

I don't know the crash testing results of either the GTM or the SL-C if that info exists, however based on common sense (proximity to the roll bars, torque box/interior space, and seating location, etc), the SL-C feels 100x's safer. Whether it is safer or not in reality, I don't know...but I sure as heck would take my chances in a SL-C first.

If you search through JCHracer's threads on ffcars you will see the results of his finite analysis on the GTM chassis, where he feels it's best to reinforce it, and what the results would be (double the chassis stiffness of a stock GTM). Even after doubling the GTM's chassis stiffness, it's still much less stiff than a stock SL-C chassis based on the info I received from Fran.

Last edited:
I'm nowhere near ready to build a car. Like many the debate is between the SL-C and the GTM. I'm still just trying to price out the options. Currently I'm leaning towards the better engineering and smaller build time of the SL-C.
As far as I know, the Mendeola Stage II is already available according to info on the FF forum.

Thank you, This production model has already been released in stage II configuration, and delivered to GTM builds.
We are waiting to see if FFR will consider the ratios usable for their customer base in a stage I ,or will they want ratios setup of their liking.
stage II
Mendeola Powertrain
page 1 side 3
I have a feeling that by the time I'm ready to build, the Mendeola will be the transaxle of choice but we'll see.

Back