1175hp/1100TQ for 36k?

Was just pricing out LS7s when I ran across a few of the typical youtube dynos for LS(x) engines. The general cost from what I've seen is $12k-$16k depending on the vendor. Summit Racing is 30 minutes from where I live so that would be an ideal supplier.

Here's the but though... I ran across an LSX package from Nelson Racing that blew my mind. 1175HP/1100TQ on pump gase (1650hp/1600TQ on race) for $36k. http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/pricesheets/lsx/hotrod/tt/hrs_454lsx_tt.pdf
YouTube - NRE 1800 HP Mosler from Nelson Supercars. 427 LSX Twin Turbo., See at Las Vegas Speedway

When I approach my financial readiness to purchase an SL-C I believe this would be more than ideal. It kinda throws the budget I have on my excel spreadsheet out of the window, but I figure why not wait longer and get what I want. From a builders standpoint, is that an accurate valuation for the amount of HP produced by such an engine? I just spent quite a bit of time reviewing the 962 thread and that build is significantly more expensive for similar numbers. What's your opinion of the LSX? I had concerns about the weight, but with that kind of hp and tq does it really matter?

(Mods: will remove link to contact NRE if its against forum rules to post :) )

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
The std Mosler MT900 runs a Getrag 6 speed, I wonder what this 'Moosler' runs. Wonder why with all the cost of the motor/build they didn't spend a few extra bucks on a sequential transmission. Why do I get the impression it was built as more of a 'bragging rights' car?

That said $36K for that engine package is a pretty good deal IMO, but I wonder how much all the custom install costs would add.

Julian,
I know one of the Porsche transaxle shops that we deal with used to do the boxes for the Moosler...they did some with a PARR sequential unit (much much cheaper than thye Porsche factory unit) but not for the really big HP/TQ cars...
They also used a G97/50 AWD box which is the TT 997 unit with the rear output removed.
I have a couple of these set aside for the SL-C spec racer also with OS Gikken LSD units installed.

Last edited:
Mmmm, that would be drool-tastic.

You're right though, the lsx weighs more - I believe 140lbs?

The only thing I'd wonder about is durability. There are several crazy n/a builds on places like corvetteforum where the motor takes a beating and just keeps on ticking. However, it seems to me that high hp boosted ls engines are a crap shoot on there - a lot of people seem to come back 3 or 4mths later going 'well, I had fun for 2000miles but i blew a hole in the block (or something similar requiring a complete teardown).

If it were me (and I'm just going based on the opinion I've formed reading corvetteforum over the years) the only way i'd run that much hp boosted is if the engine blew tomorrow I could turn around and drop another 15k on it without caring

As Fran stated earlier, apparently they've built a g50 that can handle all that TQ without exploding. How this is done... I have no clue. Usually high HP builds have gone the Ricardo route.

Nelson claims their motors could be daily driven so I would assume they'd back their product somewhat. It's the whole "If I mess up, it's on me. If you mess up, feel my wrath..." theory. I'd much rather them deal with the inner workings of a high HP motor than doing it by myself TBH. Those cast iron blocks are no joke from what I've read up on. High HP with reliability has been done over and over with that block. I think I'll take the 140+- weight for the peace of mind that if I get in it I won't have to call AAA to get me off the side of the road. Just have to find weight savings elsewhere I guess.
Just for fun :) YouTube - World's fastest IRS Corvette Record Run then picking up the kids at school

Alex, with all due respect, you crack me up. "The only thing I wonder about is durability" Really....ya think.

On corvette forum they expect their TT builds making > 1000hp to last for 100,000miles, so ya never know what people's expectations are in terms of wear and tear :laugh:

Not that you'd ever want or need that amount of HP/TQ in an SL-C but if you insist it can be done for a helluva lot cheaper than $36K.

What would be the point in that sort of HP in anything other than a Dragster? I would imagine it to be undrivable.

With the exception of all out drag cars, all that power is really only good for top speed runs and increasing your tire budget.

Juice..

you will have to so some serious work on a GTM to make it hold up to the potential torque and power that bad boy is gonna make...boost limited or not...plus the chassis mods for the Ricardo or big bad trans of choice.....

Juice..

you will have to so some serious work on a GTM to make it hold up to the potential torque and power that bad boy is gonna make...boost limited or not...plus the chassis mods for the Ricardo or big bad trans of choice.....

Fran the more and more I think about it... the more and more I'm leaning towards your product... I was on the other forum and Shane broke down what it would cost me to get the body work done(I have min. exp.) on the GTM if I were to outsource the labor and it would align with the $20k difference between the two kits. If I were to take the cost of sending my frame to you to have a Ricardo fitted properly that only bumps build costs up more.

Juice,
Just my opinion but the GTM chassis would require a lot of mod's not only for the gearbox adaptation, but also to handle the torque numbers you're talking about.
Practically a start from scratch approach! There, I've said it.

Do like I did, see the two cars in person before laying down your money. After that, there is only one choice and it is an easy one.

Juice..

Is the Ricardo still worth getting with the new Mendeola SDR Stage II offering. I know FF is pushing foward with the Mendeola and the Ricardo is favored for the SL-C. I'm not sure if this topic has been covered on this forum but I'm pretty sure I read that you had tested the Mendeola in the SL-C. Which is the better of the two and is there a big difference in cost and upkeep? I was under the impression that the Ricardo box was discontinued with the Ford GT and the ones available from dabsolutions were all refurbs. Seeing that the new Venom GT is also using the Ricardo I may be wrong.

I have a pair of Mendeola boxes for mock up in various RCR chassis...as yet we have not received a complete test box.
Regardless of how good the Mendeola box may be ,the Ricardo is by far the best shifting, highest horsepower/torque capable box around...
I have 4 sitting in customs and 4 more on the way from the UK, plus three in stock so not too bad of a supply at present...only three of these are available for sale ..so demand is high.
I also like the RBT transaxles a lot and have used them and ZF boxes in many cars..

Is the Ricardo still worth getting with the new Mendeola SDR Stage II offering. I know FF is pushing foward with the Mendeola and the Ricardo is favored for the SL-C. I'm not sure if this topic has been covered on this forum but I'm pretty sure I read that you had tested the Mendeola in the SL-C. Which is the better of the two and is there a big difference in cost and upkeep? I was under the impression that the Ricardo box was discontinued with the Ford GT and the ones available from dabsolutions were all refurbs. Seeing that the new Venom GT is also using the Ricardo I may be wrong.

After 32 years [gasp!] in the software business, I personally would plan on implementing a prototyped, shipping, in-use and available product over a product that is not shipping yet.

If there any production issues with a product that develop during a company's prototype-to-production ramp, they must be discovered by the product's early adopters and confirmed by the company. The company should then develop a plan to address these issues and address the issues. The customer must then swap out the boxes.

But then again, it's your project and subject other things - your time availability, money, etc.

-- P

Back