2011 VIR 13 Hour - RCR T70 Replica

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, as you have probably surmised from the real time data scoring, we're out. But it wasn't for lack of trying or any fundamental problems with the car.

First off, I have never encountered such nasty weather at VIR as we did on Friday and Saturday morning. Wet, cold, windy, raining, just nasty.

All the long hours of preparation over the last few weeks did pay off with a very comfortable and excellent driving race car. Four of the drivers, Ron, Steve, Jeff, and Robert cycled through the qualifying and light checks on Friday night - in the pouring rain and 43F weather. We set the car up for the rain, which we'd never done before so we were using our best judgement, and it turned out very well. The drivers reported the car was easy to drive and they actually LIKED it in the rain. I was a bit shocked because we were worried about if anyone would drive the car in the rain, at night, flatout. But they did and Robert ended up driving for about 45 mins in the light check, in fact, he was the last car in - track empty, just Robert going the distance.

One thing to note, the rain tires were tiny though and knocked about 25 mph off our top end. We were out of RPM by the flag stand on the back straight. But, even so we kept up good speed and reasonable rain lap times.

Jeff Young did an excellent job qualifying the car and placed it sixth in an extremely competitive field. Rain negated some of the horsepower advantages a few of our competitors had. Jeff enjoyed driving the car, stayed pretty dry, and coming from him about the Lola that is mighty praise. Since Jeff was the fastest of the two qualifying drivers he was picked to start the race.

7am Saturday - pouring rain. It had rained all night, heavy rain, so there is no question of starting on wets. Jeff gets a good start, clean, and works his way up to third place overall - very nice job. Things were going good, the car looked strong, then in T1 Jeff reports getting passed by a cloud of coolant under braking. Uh-oh. Jeff nurses the car around to the pits, 3 miles of track, but the coolant temp spikes to 225F+. Water is boiling out of the overflow tank and the engine is flat out hot, very not. We push the car off pit road and back to our garage. Thirty minutes of thrashing and we learn the thermostat is good but we’re getting no coolant pumping to the front of the car, just pressure and heat in the coolant tank.

So, the team made the decision to withdraw. We suspect the water pump has failed, impellor has probably broken off, and the head gaskets could be cooked. We didn’t have a spare water pump as that is one of the things on the car we really can’t swap out at the track – a clutch, gearbox, or just about anything else would be possible but our access panel in the firewall isn’t big enough to extract the pump or to provide working work on it. If we could get a pump we figured we might get It on by 5pm if we busted ass, but none of us were really wanting to go out and run laps as the race would be long gone.

Anticlimactic way to check out, I know, but as they say, stuff happens. Still, we have proved we have a very competitive, racable, and comfortable car even in the worst of conditions so not all was lost. The drivers were upbeat and the crew is the best ever, a really good bunch of guys. Just the personnel support you need to pull one of these races off is serious business.

Here are a few pictures and if our photo man sends more over I’ll post those too.

Now, the RCR SLC is still kicking butt in the race and they are working their way up to first place overall. I think they can do it and seeing the team and car I’m sure they can.

Attachments

• readytogo.jpg
    readytogo.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 4,696
  • teamphoto.JPG
    teamphoto.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 293
  • fueling.JPG
    fueling.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 286
  • gettingready.JPG
    gettingready.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_6876.JPG
    IMG_6876.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 273
  • lineup.JPG
    lineup.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 304
  • ongrid.jpg
    ongrid.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 266
  • racing.jpg
    racing.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 290
  • radiomanron.JPG
    radiomanron.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 261
  • SLC on the move.jpg
    SLC on the move.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 273
  • slc2.JPG
    slc2.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 304
  • taking the gree.jpg
    taking the gree.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 312
  • wholegrid.JPG
    wholegrid.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 267
  • 6thongrid.JPG
    6thongrid.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 283

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
9 laps. Sorry to see that Ron. After all the preparation and effort you have put in. It will be interesting to see just what caused the failure, and why.

I guess there is always next year, and you should have a seasons racing under your belt by then to get any issues sorted. Even so, 13 hours is a real test for anything.

Just out of interest, whats the entry fee for a race like that in the US?

All the best,

Russ

Ron Earp

Admin
Just out of interest, whats the entry fee for a race like that in the US?

All the best,

Russ

The entry fee is the cheap part, it was $875. Tires, food, towing, time, spares, consumables, gas - that is the expensive part!

The guys did great. All the drivers were on the ball and could drive the car well. The car was setup well, despite the rain curve ball, and I was starting to think we had a shot. Checked into the bathroom and Mr. Young was in 3rd place, came out some time later and they've sent a cart for me to bring me to the pits due to the car overheating. Disappointing. I would have been nice if the water pump could have failed during one of our many test days, or maybe last week when I drove the car to work.

Hmm, time for some decisions. New cam maybe, for more stoink? Keep the car around for another run in 2012? Convert to street car? Put it away for awhile? Sell it? I have a new race car coming for next year and I will not be able to run this one for 2012, unless it is for the enduro. More thinking to do.

If i read the livetiming correct the SLC finished 3rd overall within the same lap as the winner with a gap of 1:39 min. This is an awsome result after 13h of hard racing. If I recalculate the lap times(assumed a total of 1h pitstops). the car was consistently running lap times of around 2:20 and lower. This car seems to be a very reliable racer.
AND THE FASTEST TO: The SLC scored the fastest lap time of 2:00:83. 4 seconds faster than the winning car ( what type of car was that ?) and 7 seconds faster than the 3rd fastest car.
On a 2 minute laptime this is not only fractional, this is a world.

CONGRATULATIONS TO FRAN AND HIS TEAM !

TOM

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
This failure is a tough one to swallow. Ron and Jeff Giordano busted their asses for months on this car -- the basic design by Fran is very sound and the fabrication by RCR is astoundingly good, but all cars need lots of development to run 13 hour races.

We ran two test days and the UTCC without a real hitch. Probably 5-6 hours of testing. We then ran 2 full hours on Friday in qual and light check without a problem.

And the water pump takesa crap 40 minutes into a 13 hour race....very frustrating.

The car was incredibly easy to drive. Out of 60 cars of all types and many with way more hp, we were running 3rd overall in the rain. I could have turned the laps I was turning in the rain all day.

In the dry we probably had a bit more disadvantage due to the hp deficiency but again, the car was just phenomenal in terms of brakes and honest handling.

We had an outside shot at the overall, but it was possible.

Unlike several cars in years past where I got in a car at the start of the 13 hour that I was not sure how well prepped it was, on Saturday morning, I knew I had a car that was ready to go the distance. And instead we had a freak failure. Hate it for the team, but especially for Ron (and Fran) as this car is really a lot of fun and a very very good race car.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It's a darned tuff day when you work so hard only to be put on the trailer so quickly...
Great effort Ron & Team...

Ron - I see that you added the forward lateral bar to complete the halo..
I was always miffed at how they advised you otherwise when you first built it and log booked the car. I do like it (cage) much better with that bar although it certainly does make ingress/egress a bit more of a challenge.

Post up the findings of the water pump / head-gaskets when you get there..

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Randy, it's actually no harder to get in and out -- I was surprised by that too.

But it was frustrating dealing with the tech folks on this. We worked with our local tech guy (great guy) on the cage design and he did not want the front hoop cross brace. Then, the senior tech guy in the region -- after the car had gotten a logbook -- decided othewise. Ron and Jeff G. had to rush to put the bar in this week, not something they needed to mess with during an already very busy week.

If i read the livetiming correct the SLC finished 3rd overall within the same lap as the winner with a gap of 1:39 min. This is an awsome result after 13h of hard racing. If I recalculate the lap times(assumed a total of 1h pitstops). the car was consistently running lap times of around 2:20 and lower. This car seems to be a very reliable racer.
AND THE FASTEST TO: The SLC scored the fastest lap time of 2:00:83. 4 seconds faster than the winning car ( what type of car was that ?) and 7 seconds faster than the 3rd fastest car.
On a 2 minute laptime this is not only fractional, this is a world.

CONGRATULATIONS TO FRAN AND HIS TEAM !

TOM

It is amazing, Tom. The car never ran slower than about 2:15, except for cautions or traffic situations. Most laps were in the 2:07-2:12 range, with occasional blasts as low as 2:00 flat. Josh thought the car had the ability to run in the mid 50s, if we had let the drivers actually use the entire rev range of the engine (we imposed a 5000 RPM rev limit for economy) in dry conditions. And this was in enduro trim, with a low power engine, extra weight and DOT-legal tires.

The fastest qualifying car was an ex Pratt+Miller Cadillac that was driven by Mike Skeen, a very fast pro driver.

The two other wining cars were ex-World Challenge BMWs I think, professionally prepared, managed and driven. The winning car's last stint was driven by a 2-time national champion who supposedly had a special 'all-out' ECU map reserved for that circumstance.

This failure is a tough one to swallow. Ron and Jeff Giordano busted their asses for months on this car -- the basic design by Fran is very sound and the fabrication by RCR is astoundingly good, but all cars need lots of development to run 13 hour races.

We ran two test days and the UTCC without a real hitch. Probably 5-6 hours of testing. We then ran 2 full hours on Friday in qual and light check without a problem.

And the water pump takesa crap 40 minutes into a 13 hour race....very frustrating.

The car was incredibly easy to drive. Out of 60 cars of all types and many with way more hp, we were running 3rd overall in the rain. I could have turned the laps I was turning in the rain all day.

In the dry we probably had a bit more disadvantage due to the hp deficiency but again, the car was just phenomenal in terms of brakes and honest handling.

We had an outside shot at the overall, but it was possible.

Unlike several cars in years past where I got in a car at the start of the 13 hour that I was not sure how well prepped it was, on Saturday morning, I knew I had a car that was ready to go the distance. And instead we had a freak failure. Hate it for the team, but especially for Ron (and Fran) as this car is really a lot of fun and a very very good race car.

The Lola really looked good, and qualified very well- much higher than I expected given it's comparatively low power output for the enduro.

It was great to see it out there, and it looked very competitive. With more power, it would absolutely be a contender for an overall win. Running 3rd in the rain was great to see!

I was very sorry to see it behind the wall. Are you planning to run it next year?

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Ron

Glad to hear the issue was "only" a water pump/over heating issue and nothing more serious. Annoying nonetheless so sorry that it put you guys out. I was following you only on my phone in a bad reception area whilst on vacation so all that did was raise more questions on how you were doing rather than keep me fully informed!

Catch up with you soon

Ron Earp

Admin
Identify of the driver who passed this past weekend during the 13hr. It happened around noontime as the track was black flagged for about 45 mins or so. RIP.

Malcolm

Supporter
Sorry Ron, are you saying there was a fatality at this year's race? No one else has made mention of it so can you clarify? It would be very sad if that is what has happened.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Malcolm, it was a heart attack in turn 10 apparently. He was alive when the rescue time got to him but died on the way to the hospital.

Most deaths in SCCA racing are heart attacks., Doesn't say much about the average age or level of fitness of our drivers......

Malcolm

Supporter
That happened to a friend of mine, Brian Shrimpton, during the Brighton Speed Trials some years ago. Not the happiest of days.

The gentleman who passed away last weekend was Mark Hillestad of
Wadsworth, Ohio. He was a client of mine and left a wife and 13 yr. old
daughter. I don't know what type of racer he was but he always treated
me well, and I enjoyed our discussions of F-1 when we met. May he RIP
and may his family find peace!

Thanks!

Mark

Ron Earp

Admin
Tore into the water pump yesterday and indeed the impeller had come off the shaft. Fits all the symptoms - no hot water in the radiator, minimal pumping at low RPM, and an overheating engine.

We replaced the water pump with a new one. The job took about two hours on the lift with full access to the bottom of the car for alternator removal and hose removal. Two hours with the car stone cold, so I suspect that it'd have been a three hour job at VIR on jack stands, if we'd had a pump.

However, having a pump wouldn't have mattered. The radiator is cracked too. After we replaced the pump we filled the system and pressurized it to check for leaks only to find the new radiator, with only two hours of run time on it, has two leaks, one on each header tank. Best we can figure is the overflow can got full and couldn't vent steam fast enough through the bleed hole. The system got pressurized and somehow cranked the tanks. Not sure I believe that but I don't have many other ideas for the leaks.

The radiator is isolated on rubber mounts extremely well so I'm convinced vibration didn't get it. The SLC runs the same exact radiator and has its bolted into the chassis, the way we used to have the Lola radiator mounted. Anyhow, we didn't notice the leaking radiator at VIR so even if we'd been able to fix the pump the radiator would have gotten us. Dammit.

Now I'm working on getting the car back to 100% operational status sans radios, night lights, lumiboards, and other items we changed around for the enduro race. I'm not convinced I'll keep her around for another year to simply run the 13 hour, I might, but I have not decided. The car is enjoyable, great fun, and sans this silly water pump failure thing, very reliable. But I'm committed to an SCCA SARRC car for 2012+ and need to get cracking on that, as well as my Gran Torino.

Attachments

• fail.jpg
    fail.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 259
  • team.jpg
    team.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 250
  • drives.jpg
    drives.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 225
Looks like one of those horrible serpentine drive reverse rotation things, if it was being turned backwards..ie with conventional crankshaft/clockwise rotation it would have been cavitating on the blades/vanes which might have been the cause.. if you look closely at the picture you can just make out the slight angle on the blades that favours anti-clockwise rotation...actually are some of the vanes broken or is it just the dark photo

Last edited:
Back