24h du Le Mans 2007

Hi Dave
I Will be there as usual this year with Roy and Ken.
Just one point The Fairmile meeting has now moved to it's new venue which is The Manor Hotel Newlands Corner Nr Guildford GU4 8SE first meeting 14th March see you there.
Regards
Ian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Radio Le Mans on 91.2 MHz will be attempting run a live link from the RaceMet radar trailer this year. Don't expect to hear, on air, any critical information that I send to the team - or for that matter any blue jokes but it should be quite interesting. Audi Joest sanctioned it for 2006 as well but it was Radio Le Mans 1st year as the licencee and John Hindhaugh. had just got married as well so it didn't happen. John has specifically asked that we set it up this year.
Dave M

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Johny Herbert is in, driving with the 2007 Prodrive Aston team and Adrian Newey is trying to get in with a drive in a Ferrari.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I arrived in Le Mans last night (Monday) driving up from Monte-Carlo, and a trailer load of the new R8 Audi's was being unloaded at the aeroport du Le Mans. They were still covered in white clingfilm but this morning when I woke up the first 4 had been unwrapped and polished up.
OMG.
Breathtakingly drop dead gorgeous. Now I have to
start doing the lootery (typo intended Keith !!!). It was pissing down and freezing cold until this morning when Summer seemed to arrive.
Got home this evening into LHR - over coat weather with hailstones.
Anyone going down ? - I get there mid afternoon on the 11th. If anyone going on a motorcycle and wants anything taking down - and bringing back -I have plenty of space on board.

Hi Dave
We are off on the 4th of June doing a lap of Brittany in the motorhome first week and then down to Le-Mans on Monday the 11th to get a good pitch at Maison Blanche.
Maybe we can get together for a beer or two !
Regards
Ian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Any predictions on results? How long will the Peugeots last or will they be there at the finish? Will Audi field 3 cars and go for a 1-2-3 finish?
Will the Porsche lmp2s spoil everybody's plans?
It's the biggest event of the year and I think Motors TV are doing full coverage. Le Mans Radio may be available on internet as well but I need to verify that.
It's verified:
radiolemans.com

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,
I'll try and find out what's available and let you know by the weekend.
I know there has been an ESPN crew in previous years and there maybe other countries such as Japan with coverage which may also be streaming to internet. I'll see what John Hindhaugh Knows as well. If not, I'll try and get my old diving 8mm cine out (if it still works !!) and send you the resulting film(s) !! Give me 48 hours and I'll get back.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
One response already from John Hindhaugh at Radio Le Mans:
emails from this morning:

Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 9:17 AM​

Subject: TV streaming on internet.​

Hi John,

A few of the guys on the gt40s.com website who live in Australia are asking if I know if there is any TV coverage on internet of the 24hr. Well, I haven't a clue but I thought I would ask a man who might - you !!

thanks for any info,

regards,

Dave
Not officially - however www.tvunetworks.com and look for the channel 'wheels' when it's been loaded - it's mostly PSeed but might be motors as well... you didn;t hear it form me.
See you there,
John
----- Original Message -----​

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Don't forget - its not the usual 4pm start. Apparently there are elections in France so it's been brought forward to a 3p.m. start.

t_une_03_gb.jpg
3 JUNE : "24 HEURES DU MANS” TEST DAY",

16 & 17 JUNE : "24 HEURES DU MANS" – 75th EDITION
affiche_2007_300.jpg

The countdown has begun for the 55 teams invited to take part in the test day on 3rd June with the aim of making it onto the grid for the 2007 Le Mans 24 Hours. One of the major changes for the 2007 race is that the start has been brought forward to 15h00 because of the second round of the legislative elections. This modification will help facilitate the return journey of the hundreds of thousands of spectators who
fleches_b.gif
Readwill have attended an exceptional race.

dunlop_v2.gif

Here in the U S the coverage is usually covered live by the SPEED CHANNEL. Don't know if you have any links to it in your part of the world, or if it is internet linked.

Bill

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Nice to see but with the circuit characteristics unlikely. Unless we get a rain affected race as we had in 2001. The LMP2 cars are better suited to short courses with minimal long straights but stranger things have happened. I would anticipate the LMP2 cars to be losing between 0.15 to 0.2 laps per hour to the Audi's and maybe even the Peugeots though the fuel tank limits for the diesels will hopefully come into play and hopefully even things out again. Lets hope.

Dave,

Yes, i too shall be there on the 11th. As you say you have spare space can you take the 917, trailer and van for me and i,ll pay you at Dover ! ! ! ! !

I,ll be at the Gulf hospitality unit if any one is passing and wants to say hello.

Graham.

Are you not missing the days there was some competition and not only the monopole of 1 or 2 manufacturers?
I was there as gearbox technician in 1994 supporting the Bugatti EB110 du MANOIR DE L' AUTOMOBILE.
The car???? a standard Bugatti with 400 Kgs less, some better brakes and shock, slick tyres and that s it....well Eric Hélary was one of the drivers.
At 5 in morning the strange car was 2nd in GT1 and 6th overall.
One Dauer Porsche 962 behind.......after that 1st turbo gone ( 2 hours stopped ) start again....3 laps 2nd turbo gone....we change all 4....3 hours stopped....restart. WOW still in race. Well now let us race for the arrival.
At 23H42min of race, our Jean Cristophe Bouillon ( 18 years old ) try to overtake a VIPER driven by the old FOX René Arnoux....result...direct in the wall....end of race with the CHAMPAGNE bottles with the taps already untited in the hands.
WINNER...Jochen Dauer a small crazy boy against the official Nissan or Toyota ( i do not remember )
Now,,,the story is written on the records before the end of the race. Sad.
But it is still a great race.
Ciao
Wanni

I'm going down to Le Mans on thursday night (14th, Portsmouth to St Malo) on a Yamaha R1 with my buddy on a Bimota SB9. My brother is going down the day before in an old Ford Capri........I expect to pass him on the way down!!

Your right about the draconian ways of the Frech police David. I've been going to Le Mans since 1992 and one year we got done for not putting our feet down at a stop sign at a junction??? Mad.

I'll be hoping for a dry and warm weekend. I always cheer on the smaller teams (Courage, Creation, Pescarolo etc). Typicaly British eh......

Any one else going down on a bike?

Jason

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Jason,
Nice trip to do. I had my Duc999 there in 2005. Just a Peugeot scooter this year unfortunately. Call by if you have time- entrance to the airport, first bungalow on the right. Friday is a good time. Cell +447767 450989.
Should have some cool beers ready but a word about the draconian police breathalyser powers in France is appropriate. I was stopped last year on zero drinks but they had caught a few Brits already. Be careful - they were not stopping anything that wasn't GB registered.

Back