24h du Le Mans 2007

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Wanni,
Great memories from every race. Arnoux was a mobile chicane.
This year should be very memorable as the first time Audi have some sort of competition with the Peugeot. Let's hope but I think if Audi R10's had been in LMS rather than ALMS, Peugeot might have improved their game
and dispelled some of their gremlins. Qualifying this coming weekend should show a sample of the pecking order but night quali on 13th and 14th should be very exciting.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Graham,
Nice try ! Answer - Non....
Sight seeing is not an option for me but I'm at the airport all week. See above for number etc.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Another for Wanni,
Yes, monopolies are unfortunate in any sphere, be it sport or commerce but they are a fact of life in a non communist or non mafia society.
For me, it's not an option to choose who I work for . I've been with Audi and Ralf Juttner's team since 2000 and before that BMW Schnitzer with Charlie (Karl) Lamm.
Naturally I would hope for a 24hr race to be affected by rain which gives me much more scope in terms of how Ralf relies on what I do to modify his strategies. It (rain) does focus the team and they hang on every report sent in on the data link and then with a bit of luck, my contract for the next 2 years is safe. (but I have no competitors as such)
So, the monopoly in the 24hr du Le Mans will continue as I anticipate Audi are currently going for a decade (10yrs) of dominance at La Sarthe. Unless Peugeot get their act together............................

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Jeez you blokes I'm reading this with envy. I'm living in the wrong country........:mad: Except for the beautiful woman, terrific lifestyle, wonderful weather, cold beer instead of that warm English muck....and .....and.....a steak costs 1 euro.:pepper:

Sorry David, I couldn't resist the last pic.

Attachments

• DSCN1525.jpg
    DSCN1525.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 392
  • DSCN1644.jpg
    DSCN1644.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 394

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Audi Press release from today at Le Mans:

Ingolstadt, 03 June 2007

Successful day of testing for Audi at Le Mans

Almost 3,400 kilometres without any significant problems
Good start of newcomers to Audi Sport Team Joest
Over 20,000 spectators watched the tests
During the eight hours available, Audi Sport Team Joest fully concentrated on reeling off the testing programme that had previously been defined in detail. As usual with Audi Sport, the tasks were clearly divided: The Audi R10 TDI car number 2 (Dindo Capello/Allan McNish/Mike Rockenfeller) was fitted with additional data acquisition equipment in the morning. In the afternoon, the team in car number 2 ran tyre tests. Last year’s winners Frank Biela, Emanuele Pirro and Marco Werner (car number 1) compared various suspension set-ups. The R10 TDI bearing number 3 in the race (Mattias Ekström/Lucas Luhr/Alexandre Prémat) was equipped with various aerodynamic variants.

"We had a very extensive programme on our agenda, which we managed to work through almost completely," Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang summed up the positive outcome of the tests. "In the end, we were lacking merely ten minutes, otherwise we could have even completed the final tyre test we’d been planning to do. I think we’ve worked out a good base for the race today."

A strong impression was left by the four newcomers to Audi Sport Team Joest. In his Le Mans début at the wheel of an LM P1 sports car, Mike Rockenfeller (23) set the third-best time of the day behind Sébastien Bourdais (Peugeot) and Frank Biela (Audi). Lucas Luhr (27) was the quickest driver of the number 3 Audi R10 TDI, while his team-mates Alexandre Prémat and Mattias Ekström – both Le Mans rookies – were only slightly slower.

Frank Biela – at 3m 28.277s (237.362 kph) – managed the fastest lap so far of an Audi R10 TDI at Le Mans. That last year’s lap times were clearly beaten, however, cannot only be attributed to the evolution of the cars: With 13.629 kilometres, the circuit is 21 metres shorter than before and – particularly due to a modification in the "Tertre Rouge" sector – almost two seconds faster, as data logs have shown.

More than 20,000 spectators witnessed the test day at Le Mans, which took place without record winner Tom Kristensen. The Dane continues to recover from the injuries he sustained in the serious accident during the DTM season opener. Whether or not Kristensen will be able to compete at Le Mans on 16/17 June will be decided, at the latest, at the beginning of the race week.

To be optimally prepared even in the event that Kristensen should not be fit for racing, Audi Sport Team Joest changed the driver teams before the test day: Mike Rockenfeller and Mattias Ekström swapped cars because Rockenfeller, in terms of body size, is better matched with Dindo Capello and Allan McNish, while Ekström is more compatible with Lucas Luhr and Alexandre Prémat.

Up to the race, the three Audi R10 TDI cars will stay at Le Mans for trackside preparation for the week of the race by Audi Sport Team Joest. The race week will start for Audi on Tuesday afternoon with the public Technical Scrutineering on the Place des Jacobins. The first qualifying practice is scheduled to start on Wednesday (13 June) at 7 p.m. (local time).

Result of the test day

1 Bourdais/Lamy/Sarrazin (Peugeot) 3m 26.707s (60 laps)
2 Biela/Pirro/Werner (Audi R10 TDI) 3m 28.277s (92 laps)
3 Capello/McNish/Rockenfeller (Audi R10 TDI) 3m 28.406s (76 laps)
4 Bouillion/Collard/Dumas (Pescarolo-Judd) 3m 28.574s (77 laps)
5 Gene/Minassian/Villeneuve (Peugeot) 3m 30.314s (79 laps)
6 Ekström/Luhr/Prémat (Audi R10 TDI) 3m 30.613s (81 laps)
7 Bleekemolen/Hart/Lammers (Dome-Judd) 3m 34.035s (75 laps)
8 Chilton/Johansson/Shimoda (Zytek) 3m 34.340s (38 laps)
9 Campbell-Walter/Nakano/Oritz (Creation-Judd) 3m 34.398s (64 laps)
10 Primat/Tinseau/Treluyer (Pescarolo-Judd) 3m 34.941s (85 laps)

Communication Motorsport
Telephone +49 (0)841 89 34200,Telefax +49 (0)841 89 38617
[email protected]

Photographs, sound bites and additional information available on the Internet:
www.audi-motorsport.info (Accreditation necessary)

Thanks for the invite David. If we get there ontime I will give you a call and pop in to see you.

Thanks for the advanced warning of the local police. I've been stopped on Mulsanne straight for doing absolutly nothing wrong. (although my brother was 2 up on an FZR400 giving it some!!)

Looks like the peugeot is quick enough, but will it last?? Lets hope so, I don't really want another Audi whitewash.

Jason

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
See you there Jason.
Yes, the Peugeot looks OK over 60 laps but I need Audi to do the business in the race itself. Can't find any odds on William Hill but I imagine they will do some thing before the race.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Pete, was that one of the Renault World series cars being raised on the strop?
If so, nothing to do with the team I work for.

I am going for Peugeot,(Sorry David) I think they may have got enough info from some of the other race series they raced in.

I saw the mid engined diesel sports cars a while back and was most impressed, Peugeot Concepts - 4Car Feature - from Channel 4
they only seemed to race in France though, cant help thinking its this that might have made them think about Le Mans, at the event I saw the times were pretty impressive compared to later Porsche Cup race.

No one seemed to care they were diesel, this was bout 4 years ago as well so plenty of time for development.

It least it makes it more fun, I also hear the Zytek boys think their in with a chance (might be worth an each way bet if the odds are good?)

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith,
It could be an NSU Quickly as far as I know. I don't have the foggiest.:confused:

Definitely given your age away now mate....

I was riding one around in 1960 :eek:

I had 2 of them and my friends rode a tandem which was considerably quicker up to 20 mph.....

Cripes! Where have all the years gone? :confused:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Oh yes, I was that man. And - (I wish I still had it) - an NSU Auto roller which had everything on it - 12v, electric starter, Indicators,individual sprung saddles and full weather shield. ON A 1957 MACHINE TO BOOT!
Probably more comfortable than my Ducati but thats not difficult in my advancing years...........
nsu.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Everybody
CAV will be at Le Mans in full force. CAV Cape Town, CAV Europe, CAV Australia and A1 Autocraft,UK will be there. We will have three CAV's there, one being a CAV GTR racecar. The cars will be used as pace cars during the MRL series. Jackie Oliver should be driving the one.

Please pop in at our stand and come and have a look. Sit in one of the cars, and ask questions, give comments. We look forward to meeting with you all.
Below some pics of the CAV GTR.
Regards
Jean

Attachments

• RC2 (Large).jpg
    RC2 (Large).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCF0090.jpg
    DSCF0090.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 309
Jean
The cars look fantastic!! I will definatly drop by and have a look, and if there is a chance of sitting in one............OMG!! (I have yet to sit in one)

Jason

Hi Guys
We are exhibiting together with the MRL series cars. The stand is about 500m 'behind' the main pits, at the food court side. Please look out for the CAV flags... It's not that easy to describe the location, but as I said, we are with the '56-'68 cars.( The ACO hospitality hall is very near to us.) Please try and pop in.
Jean

Jean
The cars look fantastic!! I will definatly drop by and have a look, and if there is a chance of sitting in one............OMG!! (I have yet to sit in one)

Jason
Hi Jason,
I'll be there next week with my 40 and if you don't get to sit in a CAV find me and you can check out my GTD.

BTW looks like an interesting classic race before the 24hrs sets off:

PistonHeads Headlines

See you all there, can't wait!

Back