24h du le Mans 2011

Just got home from le mans
Had à perfect couple of days
It was my fitst time at le mans an it was exciting till THE end
And now off to bed

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
We got really good coverage this year from One HD taking the feed from Speed
Channel. A terrific race that went down to the wire. Congrats Audi. And also Robertson for getting the Corvette home, a great effort.
BTW did you hear about the Texan who went into the German car dealership?
He said......"Audi"?
Big breakthrough, my better half after watching the 24hour coverage is making noises like it could be fun to go.:pepper::pepper:
Her idea of roughing it is a five star Pub, so no camping. Anyone got any ideas?

Just got back, and what a weekend! The Mcnish and Rockenfella crashes were something else. How long before we see carbon safety cells in mass production road cars?
Shame about AstonMartin in LMP1, but they will be back next year. And another victory for the Corvette team in GTEpro.
Much beer was drunk, and much fun was had. Countdown to next year has begun!

À friend was standing where THE first crash happend
Hè told me that there were some photographers which looked rather pale
Hè was also shacking

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
422 miles and a two hour ferry later, back home and ready for 24 hours of sleep.
We, that is the Audi Joest team with Ralf Juettner as the big boss won against a lot of odds - especially the French idea of gentlemanly sporting standards.
Like they, in Peugeot, have virtually none. I think that Joest , away from France and the A.C.O. will certainly exact retribution is subsequent races and if Joest don't do it the drivers will.
I had a few funny moments including a visit from Meteo France (the Peugeot weather men in disguise) and I thought it quite amazing that they ordered/suggested the Peugeots to go on to Inters. We stayed with slicks for the whole race including the 4 hours of drizzle, though at times I kept worrying about the decision when cars were sliding off all over the place. Marcel Fassler, Andre Lotterer and Benoit Treluyer are the new names on the trophy.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,
Stay in Paris and get the TGV to Le Mans each day. Montparnasse to Le Mans in about 45 minutes then a tram system direct to the circuit. No driving so easy to quaffe some champers en route both ways. If I wasn't involved that's probably what I would do.
Dave

Keith

Well played Dave... against the odds too....:thumbsup:

Hope your bonus was paid in, er, fromage mate.... :drunk:

Have to say that the 3 drivers of the winning car did a fabulously mature job there. Fassler is hardly known for his patience (from DTM days) and yet, cometh the hour, cometh the Man.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,
Stay in Paris and get the TGV to Le Mans each day. Montparnasse to Le Mans in about 45 minutes then a tram system direct to the circuit. No driving so easy to quaffe some champers en route both ways. If I wasn't involved that's probably what I would do.
Dave
Thanks David.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Pete - as an addition to going to Le Mans, the hotels in the area are just not five star at all and are all a bit 'french' and a bit jaded if you follow my drift. For a five star, I would always opt for the George V Hotel in Paris which was our crew hotel in years gone by before the recession bit hard. Quite a few people rely on the TGV to Le Mans to watch the race but the down side may be that the TGV does not run all night so it may be restricting any night viewing of the racing. For me, unless I have any trade(rain) I always like to go up in the main stands about 0300 when all the 'grockles' (tourists) are drunk and in their tents in bed. The diesel cars do not make the really good noise though, and they just keep buzzing around like sewing machines. The marshalls think they should have a bell on the front so they can hear then coming.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Audi's press release:

<TABLE class=nopad><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD><TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD class=contentheading width="100%">LMS : 2011 Le Mans - Audi wins 24 hour race with ultra-lightweight technology </TD><TD class=buttonheading width="100%" align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD class=createdate vAlign=top>Monday, 13 June 2011 04:00 </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
logo_Audi.gif

At one of the most thrilling and dramatic 24 hour races in Le Mans history Audi ultra-lightweight technology has prevailed.

At the fascinating thriller which kept 250,000 spectators at the race track and millions in front of their TV sets watching in awe Marcel Fassler (Switzerland), Andre Lotterer (Germany) and Benoît Treluyer (France) in the innovative Audi R18 TDI clinched the tenth Le Mans victory in total for the brand with the four rings.

The drama at the 79th edition of the world’s most famous endurance could hardly be surpassed. After Audi had lost two of its Audi R18 TDI cars as early as in the first third of the race due to accidents all hopes were pinned on car number "2" that had secured the pole position in qualifying for Audi.

For 16 hours Fassler, Lotterer and Treluyer were on their own in the battle against three factory fielded Peugeot cars that left no stone unturned to keep Audi from taking victory.

On Sunday morning the four quickest vehicles were still within just a few seconds of each other at the front of the field. The lead kept changing, also on account of the different strategies.

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://www.f1sa.com/scripts/swfobject.js"></SCRIPT>
<OBJECT id=player class=inlineimg title="Big Grin" border=0 alt="" classid="clsid:D</OBJECT>LMS : 2011 Le Mans - Audi wins 24 hour race with ultra-lightweight technology Video from YouTube

And Fassler, Lotterer and Treluyer continually brought the performance advantage of their diesel sports car to bear which in the first year of the engine downsizing was clearly the fastest car in the field at Le Mans.

At 3'25.289 Andre Lotterer on the 229th race lap even managed to beat the fastest time set in qualifying.

The reliability of the new Audi R18 TDI was impressive as well. Across the entire race distance the vehicle designated as number "2" did not have to come in for a single unscheduled pit stop.

Only a problem with the fuel tank caused a bit of a headache for Head of Audi Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich and the Technical Director of Audi Sport Team Joest, Ralf Juttner.

The full 65 liter capacity could not be used. Consequently, Andre Lotterer had to achieve a sufficient lead for an additional refueling stop in the final phase, in extremely difficult conditions in drizzling rain at times which made the track extremely slippery.

Lotterer mastered this hurdle as well. After the final stop the German started his last stint with a seven second advantage over the second placed Peugeot.

In the end he crossed the finish line after 24 hours being frenetically cheered by his team colleagues Marcel Fassler and Benoît Treluyer and the entire Audi squad in first place with a lead of 13.420 seconds.

For the three Audi drivers who had finished as the runners up last year this marked the first Le Mans exploit, and the tenth for Audi.

"It was a fantastic triumph of Audi ultra-lightweight technology in extreme conditions," commented Rupert Stadler, Chairman of the Management Board of AUDI AG, who had watched the captivating race himself in the pits.

"After we celebrated a record victory last year primarily thanks to reliability and efficiency, we not only had the most reliable but also the quickest car this year."

Management Board Member for Development Michael Dick said, "The team as well as the entire Audi squad did a first class job that deserves great respect. This tenth Le Mans success of our brand was no doubt the one that required the toughest battle, which perhaps also made it the most valuable one. At the same time, albeit involuntarily, we proved that our engineers design very safe cars."

Allan McNish and Mike Rockenfeller sustained no injuries in extremely severe accidents in the first third of the race.

McNish in the Audi R18 TDI designated as car number "3" had taken the lead shortly before the end of the first hour when a GT car hit his left rear wheel in the "La Chappelle" section.

The R18 TDI spun off the track, hit the track barrier in a heavy impact and rolled over, the Audi R18 TDI’s one piece carbon fibre monocoque withstood the crash and McNish was able to climb out of the wreckage uninjured and returned to the race track after a precautionary medical check at the hospital.

Mike Rockenfeller had an even greater guardian angel when shortly before 23h00 while running on position two he was also touched by a GT vehicle on the left rear wheel while running at a speed of about 300 kph.

The Audi R18 TDI turned left and at 270 kph hit the guard rails on the entrance to the "Indianapolis" turn. The carbon fibre monocoque developed and produced by Audi using a new type of technology withstood the impact.

The front crash absorber and all other passive safety devices of the car fulfilled their purpose as well. Mike Rockenfeller was able to climb out of the wreckage. As a precautionary measure, last year’s winner spent the night in the hospital but was released again on Sunday morning.

"The safety standards at Audi are simply incredible and have saved my life. I’ve never had such an accident before in my career and hope I’ll never have such an experience again," said Mike Rockenfeller.

Allan McNish commented in a similar vain: "I want to thank the Audi designers for having developed a car that you can climb out of unharmed after such severe accidents."

On clinching its tenth victory in 13 years Audi has added another impressive chapter to its success story at the Le Mans 24 Hours.

After the first success of a TFSI engine in 2011, the first triumph of a diesel powered car in 2006 and the first exploits with variable turbine geometry, VTG, last year Audi again triumphed with innovative technology.

"Audi ultra technology has passed an extreme acid test this weekend. If you pursue new paths this always involves a risk. But this risk has absolutely paid off. The Audi R18 TDI was in a class of its own at Le Mans 2011. Particularly due to the two extremely serious accidents this has been the most difficult Le Mans race for us in an emotional sense so far," said Head of Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich after the car had crossed the finish line.

"That our team managed to keep the strong competition at bay for 16 hours with just one car is almost unbelievable. Everyone at Audi can be proud of this triumph. However, the news that Allan (McNish) and Mike (Rockenfeller) came out of these extremely heavy accidents so well is at least as important as that of the tenth Audi victory."

Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Motorsport):
"2011 was no doubt the most difficult Le Mans race we’ve ever contested, but in the end with the sweetest result we’ve ever had as well. From such a difficult situation we managed to recover again on our own power and in the end to defeat, albeit with a narrow margin, our really strong competitors from Peugeot. After eight hours we’d lost two of our three cars and knew that it would be extremely difficult with just one car. The entire squad gave everything to do the best for this car. Of course the drivers had to drive it. And they did a really fantastic job, although it was the squad with the least experience at Le Mans. Of course it’s extremely important that Allan (McNish) and Mike (Rockenfeller) came out of both accidents, which were really severe, without any injuries."

Marcel Fassler (Audi R18 TDI #2):
"This has been a tremendous day. The last six hours were incredible. It just seemed like they wouldn’t pass. When I looked at the time I kept thinking it had stopped. I said to myself: The clock can’t be running, it would have had to be over a long time ago. I tried to stand somewhere where I couldn’t listen to any commentators. But that was simply impossible. You could see the dream coming closer and closer. And then there were moments when everything became increasingly difficult, like the situation with the slow puncture just before the end when Andre (Lotterer) was driving. And then you start trembling again: Will the dream really come true. And then it did come true. It’s really fantastic. We worked hard for this all winter. Le Mans is the most important race. I’m particularly happy to be the first Swiss to have won it."

Andre Lotterer (Audi R18 TDI #2):
"It was a very intensive race. I was pushing like crazy from the first to the last minute. I felt no boredom in the car. I gave everything that was possible. And I had no choice but to do that either. In the end it worked out. I’m simply happy that together we’ve managed to do this. All the mechanics and everyone else worked so hard to prepare the car. This is a great reward for many hours of overtime. Due to the two accidents yesterday was a difficult day for Audi Sport. I’m very happy that Allan (McNish) and Rocky are okay and that despite the accidents we’ve got a reason for joy."

Benoît Treluyer (Audi R18 TDI #2):
"We’ve won an incredible race. A fantastic feeling! That was clearly a team victory. We only did the driving. The biggest job was the preparation. Without a fast and reliable car like our Audi victory at a 24 hour race wouldn’t have been possible. I’d also like to mention Marco (Bonanomi) who helped us very much. The victory belongs to the team that has gathered here today. It’s like in soccer: If just one person is missing you can’t win. It’s particularly nice that I attended the same racers school here at Le Mans as Marcel (Fassler) and Sebastien (Bourdais). This makes it all the better to be on the podium here at this venue with them."

Timo Bernhard (Audi R18 TDI #1):
"I’m incredibly happy for the team. The whole team stuck together tremendously in the preparation phase. I take my hat off to car number 2. They drove a superb race. A very strong performance. Naturally, we would have liked to have been among the front runners with our car number 1 as well. But even when we were forced to just watch we could see that the car was incredibly competitive. Until our retirement we were in contention. I can’t deny my disappointment as a driver. But the most important thing is that Mike is okay. He had no choice but to react the way he did in that situation. Congratulations to the whole Audi Sport team. A superb showing. I’m happy that victory has been clinched."

Romain Dumas (Audi R18 TDI #1):
"For sure it’s a good race when you work for nearly one year to prepare and then win this race. Okay my car wasn’t on top of the podium today but I am very happy that it is Audi that has won. We all share this victory. We all work together. That is the strength of this incredible team. Last year we won. Benoit, Andre and Marcel were second and they were very happy for us and now we are very happy for them."

Mike Rockenfeller (Audi R18 TDI #1):
"I was driving my fourth stint. Just three or four more laps and the tank would have been empty. After the Mulsanne corner I was on the long straight heading for Indy. In the second right hand there was a GT car in front of me. It was running on the left hand side and I used the headlight flasher. For me it was clear that he would stay on the left as he had the lap before too. We overtake very often at this place of the track. Just as I was running alongside him at 300 km/h he misjudged this. He suddenly pulled over to the right. I still wanted to evade him by going out on the grass. Nevertheless he must have still slightly touched me at the rear. I immediately turned left. It was a severe accident. But the most important thing is that I’m basically okay. The safety standards are simply enormous and have saved my life. I’ve never had such an accident in my life and hope that I’ll never have such an experience again. I’m extremely sorry. We had good chances of being in contention for victory. I would always take advantage of such a gap again because I believe that it was not a risky manoeuvre. It was quite a normal act of straight overtaking. Consideration should be given to perhaps finding another solution for amateur drivers. it’s simply too dangerous. There were several dangerous incidents for me while I was driving. At that particular moment, unfortunately, the outcome wasn’t so good."

Dindo Capello (Audi R18 TDI #3):
"After the bad start of the race and the big fright we had at seeing Allan’s and then Rocky’s accidents we are pleased that they are fortunately in very good shape. We now can enjoy this great moment and congratulate the team of car #2. The drivers, the team, the engineers but especially all the people from Audi who are back in Ingolstadt at the moment who gave us not only the most beautiful racing car on the starting grid but also the fastest car. That is something unique and now we celebrate. We got pole position and fastest lap and we won the race. It’s more than we expected. Congratulations to everyone."

Tom Kristensen (Audi R18 TDI #3):
"A fantastic result for Audi. All the energy went into one car after we lost two. I was extremely disappointed at the time but overwhelmed by the fact that nobody was hurt, neither Allan (McNish), spectators or any of the photographers and the same for Mike (Rockenfeller’s) accident. Of course we have mental pain but nobody got badly hurt. My biggest respect to Benoit (Treluyer), Andre (Lotterer) and Marcel (Fassler). They have done a fantastic Le Mans race. Not to have been behind the steering wheel is personally something I haven’t enjoyed but being witness to a really fantastic Le Mans race is something which goes down in the Audi history books as one of the greatest achievements at the legendary circuit."

Allan McNish (Audi R18 TDI #3):
"Congratulations to Audi. Congratulations to the winning team. A superb result. Andre (Lotterer) drove superbly as did Marcel (Fassler) and Ben (Treluyer). The tears in the garage just show the pressure they were under all of the way through the race. For our car’s situation, and for Rocky and his car, as well there is a touch of sadness as it’s not an Audi 1, 2, 3 like last year but today’s race winning performance was just incredible. Regarding my accident: I went down the inside of a GT class Ferrari which was just ahead. As I got past the first thing I knew was I was spinning towards the wall on the left hand side and so immediately realised that he’d tagged the left rear of my car with the right front of his, after that I was just along for the ride. It was a very big accident. I have to say a huge thank you to the Audi designers because they have produced a car that could survive an enormous impact allowing the driver to open the door and get out unharmed."

Ralf Juttner (Technical Director Audi Sport Team Joest):
"A completely crazy race, I don’t think the world has ever seen anything like this before. Maybe there have been races at Le Mans before with an even closer outcome. But to be duelling with several cars over the period of 24 hours within gaps of just seconds, I don’t think this has ever happened before. It was really nerve wracking. Everyone who has been here will only realize what happened a few days from now. After Spa we were sitting together. Not everything was going as planned there. At that time Jo Hausner wished for us to have a race here in which Audi and Peugeot would be within seconds of each other up to the end. And that’s exactly what we got, I could curse him for that ... It was a great victory for Audi, but also for Allan (McNish) and particularly for Mike (Rockenfeller). We had horrible accidents. We’ve got to thank Audi for building such safe cars."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
And Frans Team:

<TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD class=contentheading width="100%">LMS : 2011 Le Mans - Robertson Racing score sensational podium in 24 hour race </TD><TD class=buttonheading width="100%" align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD class=createdate vAlign=top>Monday, 13 June 2011 04:00 </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>
logo_robertson_racing.gif

American sportscar outfit Robertson Racing today wrote one of the great fairytales in Le Mans 24 Hours’ storied history by claiming a superb GTE Am third place finish at Circuit de la Sarthe in France, the first of any kind for the team in its short four year history.

The storyline of the plucky privateer American Le Mans Series squad, which receives little manufacturer support in a class dominated by factory developed machines, could not have been better composed with team owners/drivers Dave and Andrea Robertson celebrating their seventh wedding anniversary today.

Foregoing traditional festivities in favour of the world’s most famous twice around the clock endurance race alongside long time co-driver, friend and lynchpin David Murry, the crew kept to a strategy built around the consistency and bullet proof reliability of the Braselton based team’s fan favourite #68 Ford GT.

285 laps and 3876 kilometres later, Andrea crossed the finish line to become the first female to climb a Le Mans podium in any class since 1931.

The records do not end there though, for this was also the first husband and wife driver team to finish on the rostrum in Le Mans’ 79 race history.

Murry meanwhile picked up his second consecutive GT podium finish at La Sarthe following a ten year absence.

No modern Ford GT has finished the gruelling Grand Prix of Endurance, let alone recorded a podium finish, since the car was first produced seven years ago, while the last Ford chassis of any kind to repeat the feat did so in 1972.

Of course, the last Ford GT40, on which Robertson Racing’s machine draws such iconic styling cues, last finished in the top three at this race way back in 1969 when Jackie Ickx and Jackie Oliver triumphed outright.

While the rest of the GTE Am class fell by the wayside, Robertson Racing kept up a metronomic pace, the car’s only reliability issue of the entire race occurring after four hours when the team lost two laps converting to the ‘manual’ sequential gearbox when its paddle-shift system developed problems.

Dave Robertson:
“We are as happy as can be. From day one I honestly thought we had a chance in this class, which is why we entered it. We are not the fastest, and I know we have a lot of progress to make, but if the team could work together and have a mistake free run I always believed this was feasible. We just kept going for 24 hours. We are so glad to be here, but wouldn’t be were it not for the fantastic group of people in the garage and back in Braselton. This is for them. It’s also great to be the first husband and wife on the podium and it makes it even more special that it’s our anniversary. The only problem is I’ve no idea how to top this next year!”

Andrea Robertson:
“It comes as quite a shock to be the first woman since 1931 to make the podium and just proves what a male dominated sport this is. I’m not sure why; perhaps they’re intimidated?! I am also still in awe at being the first married couple on the podium but I think it’s kind of neat. I would once again like to thank everyone in the team from the bottom of my heart because without them, their hard work and dedication, we would not have come this far.”

David Murry:
“I am so happy for Dave, Andrea and the team. We have worked so hard for the past four years and this is the pinnacle of what they wanted to achieve, so to come and get a podium on debut is just fantastic. You always dream about a possible result but don’t ever think it could happen so we have just taken one step at a time. This was a 100% team effort and that is what contributes to podiums at Le Mans.”

Andrew H Smith, Team Manager:
“Unexpected, fantastic, awesome! Everybody worked so well and it’s been a true team effort over the last two days. It’s taken years of preparation to get here. With just a small bunch of people and a lot of desire we’ve taken on some of the world’s major car manufacturers at the world’s greatest race. I think we can all be immensely proud of our achievement.”

Lee Penn, Chief Engineer:
“Awesome! It was absolutely amazing. I never expected it and never dared imagine it even in my wildest dreams. It is just the most unbelievable result ever and beats the podiums I have achieved here so far, including the win with Panoz.” </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Pete,
Dave
Pete,
Agree with Dave on this one.
I stay in Montparnasse regulary on business. There are some nice restaurants handy, 'Le Dome' and 'Le Montparnasse 1900' are my favourites.
However most of the hotels are mediocre, with some being downright awful. The George V is luxury - near Rue de Bassano metro, and the Pullman is the best that I have found for a reasonably priced hotel in the centre of Montparnasse.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Well, thats a wrap until it all starts again next year. It's also a double Le Mans year in 2012 with the Le Mans Classic about one month after the 24H du Le Mans so it could be a really brilliant holiday to take them both in with a sojourn on the west and south coast in between the two events.
I celebrate getting my None bus pass next year in July so maybe I can get to the LMC by bus. Not. The government here will have effectively banned everything and extended the pension age to death plus 2 years. I digress.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Pete, you can giggle around with the departure and arrival with this train timetable and it gives you some ideas about when you can travel from Montparnasse. In traffic a cab from George V to Montparnasse would be max 15 minutes and in no traffic about 5 to 7 minutes. If it were me and I didn't have any other reasons to stay at Le Mans, it would be Paris for me every time.

Le Mans to Paris Montparnasse weekly train schedules, maps, tickets and reservations on BonjourLaFrance.com

Thanks mate, it sounds like a plan.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Some more trumpet blowing from Audi:

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=650 bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>
img_header2009_e.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD>

</TD><TD vAlign=top>Communications Motorsport
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=topKontakt vAlign=top width="50%">Jürgen Pippig
Telephone: +49 (0)841 89 34200
E-mail: [email protected]
www.audi-motorsport.info </TD><TD class=topKontakt vAlign=top width="50%">Eva-Maria Veith
Telephone: +49 (0)841 89 33922
E-mail: [email protected] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

x.gif

Facts about Audi’s tenth Le Mans victory

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TD>

• 249,500 spectators witnessed one of the closest finishes ever
  • Lowest fuel consumption of all Audi races at Le Mans
  • Up to 54 consecutive laps with one set of Michelin tires
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Ingolstadt, June 17, 2011 - Audi recorded its tenth victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans with ultra lightweight technology, an innovative V6 TDI engine and the first ever use of full LED headlights. The most important facts of a memorable race:

After 24 hours the Audi R18 TDI with start number "2" had a winning margin of exactly 13.854 seconds over the second placed Peugeot. This equates to 763 meters. The victorious Audi R18 TDI covered 4,838.295 kilometers. The average speed was 201.266 km/h.

The race was neutralized five times, four hours 46 minutes (44 laps) were spent behind the two safety cars. The longest full-course yellow lasted 2 hours 20 minutes.

249,500 spectators witnessed Audi’s tenth victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. As a result, the brand with the Four Rings now holds second place alone in the all time winners list of the world’s most important endurance race. Only sister company Porsche has more wins (16 from 61 races). Audi’s winning ratio is an impressive 76.9 per cent.

Audi scored a podium result in all 13 Le Mans events - ten of these factory efforts. In 42 starts since 1999 Audi recorded 32 finishes (76.2 per cent), ten of these wins, five second places and nine third places. Audi achieved 24 of a possible 39 podium positions (61.5 per cent) in the process.

For Reinhold Joest’s team it was the twelfth victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the eighth with Audi. If you include the wins scored by Dauer Racing (1994) and Bentley (2003), in which the team was also involved, Joest Racing is credited with 14 Le Mans wins.

Audi recorded a rare Le Mans hat-trick with pole position, fastest race lap and victory.

The fastest lap set by an Audi R18 TDI in the race (3m 25.289s) was more than a second faster than the best from Peugeot (3m 26.298s). André Lotterer even undercut Benoît Tréluyer’s pole position time from qualifying in the process.

The Audi R18 TDI was superior to its rivals at Le Mans and specifically in the fast corners. In the final sector of the circuit, to which the famous "Porsche Curves" belong, the Audi was eight tenths of a second faster than the best Peugeot.

The highest speed recorded by an Audi R18 TDI in the race along the Hunaudières straight was 336.4 km/h.

Following the Audi R8 (2000) and the Audi R10 TDI (2006) the Audi R18 TDI is the brand’s third LMP1 sportscar to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans at the first attempt.

The lead changed hands a total of 46 times during the race. Four different cars led the race. Audi topped the leader board for 261 of the 355 laps. The winning car was credited with the most laps (246) in the lead.

The victorious Audi R18 TDI visited the pits 31 times. Start number "2" spent 33 minutes 56 seconds in pit lane ("pit in" / "pit out"). The car was stationary for only 21m 03s.

The triumphant trio completed the entire race distance with only nine sets of Michelin tires. The eighth and final tire change was only required because the left rear tire lost air. Benoît Tréluyer completed the longest stint on the same set of tires - 54 laps (five stints).

The 3.7 liter V6 TDI in the Audi R18 TDI consumed an average of only 37.08 liters of diesel per 100 kilometers</B> and therefore less than 40 liters for the first time since Audi competes at Le Mans - helped in part by the long safety car phases.

The chassis number of the victorious Audi R18 TDI is R18-106. The Audi Sport Team Joest mechanics gave the car the nickname "Red Sonja".

Marcel Fässler is the first Swiss driver in history to win the race.

The three victorious Audi drivers Marcel Fässler, André Lotterer and Benoît Tréluyer can boast an impressive record: up to now they started twice for the factory Audi team at Le Mans, mounting the podium on both occasions. The first Le Mans victory for all three follows last year’s second place.

All nine Audi drivers who started in 2011 have now at least one Le Mans victory to their name. A total of 14 drivers have won Le Mans with Audi to date: Seiji Ara (1), Timo Bernhard (1), Frank Biela (5), Dindo Capello (2), Romain Dumas (1), Marcel Fässler (1), Tom Kristensen (6), JJ Lehto (1), André Lotterer (1), Allan McNish (1), Emanuele Pirro (5), Mike Rockenfeller (1), Benoît Tréluyer (1) and Marco Werner (3).

Benoît Tréluyer was only the fifth driver in Le Mans history to have won the race from pole position (awarded since 1963) and the Audi R18 TDI only the seventh car to win from the pole. A car with the start number "2" won for the sixth time since 1923.

It was the eleventh victory at Le Mans for Head of Audi Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich. The Austrian was also significantly involved in Bentley’s win at the 24 hours in 2003.

It was the 28th Le Mans victory for a German automobile manufacturer and also the 28th for a closed car. A diesel powered car won for the sixth time, Audi TDI technology lays claim to five of these.

It was the 20th Le Mans victory for Audi tire partner Michelin, the 14th in succession and the 10th with Audi.

The number of retirements in the 79th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans was particularly high: only 28 of the 56 cars that started reached the finish.

Photographs and information available at www.audi-motorsport.info

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD><!-- Bild -->
<!-- Ende Kontakt -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
x.gif
</TD><TD>
x.gif
</TD><TD>
x.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Some Int coming out of Stuttgart - Porsche will return to La Sarthe with an LMP1 car.
Brilliant news.
My deduction is it wont be next year unless they've been at it a while and kept it under wraps but I imagine will be three year plan 2013-2015 with some of the best drivers going. Remember Michele Alboretto in 1999? What a star that man was and what a loss to the sport of LMP racing.

Back